What games to get to show off my 1070?

Hi guys

What games would be good to show off my 1070? I'd like a steady 60fps experience at 1920x1080.

My system spec is:
Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 memory, Windows 10 64Bit, MSI Gamer X GeForce 1070.

I can't seem to overclock my CPU with my mobo (Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V) - or at least, that's what Google seems to suggest.

Thanks

I assume you're looking to ramp everything up to ultra while keeping it at 60 FPS?

I bet Skyrim with all (well not all, but the high-res) community texture mods would be pretty. And GTA5 would be pretty crazy, some of the screenshots and videos I've seen have taken me a moment to realize that it was video game footage. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I assume you're looking to ramp everything up to ultra while keeping it at 60 FPS?

I bet Skyrim with all (well not all, but the high-res) community texture mods would be pretty. And GTA5 would be pretty crazy, some of the screenshots and videos I've seen have taken me a moment to realize that it was video game footage. :laugh:

Aaah I seem to remember ages ago there was some mod for Watchdogs which improves visuals to almost E3 levels... forgot what it was called.

I did try hooking the PC up to my 4K TV but it would do 30fp @4K... and tbh I kinda want to make everything pretty @1080 :)

Cheers Nick for the reply.

The 1070 will play pretty much anything at 1080p/60fps with maxed out settings so just choose whichever games you want to play? Rise of Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, GTA 5, The Division, Doom, Hitman (2016), Just Cause 3, etc.

Edited by ZakO

34 minutes ago, WildWayz said:

Hi guys

What games would be good to show off my 1070? I'd like a steady 60fps experience at 1920x1080.

My system spec is:
Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 memory, Windows 10 64Bit, MSI Gamer X GeForce 1070.

I can't seem to overclock my CPU with my mobo (Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V) - or at least, that's what Google seems to suggest.

Thanks

Here's my list - in no particular order:

1.  Forza 6: Apex - First off, it costs exactly zilch.  Second, it's exclusive to Windows 10/DX12 (basically, right in the API's wheelhouse).  Lastly, you don't need to be an Insider or any sort of beta-tester (as long as you have the last RTM build, you can grab it - right now).

2.  DOOM 2016 DEMO (Steam) - The current FPS tour de force.

3.  Overwatch (if you own it) - The current MOBA state of the art; belongs in the rota for the same reason DOOM does.  If you don't have it, then swap in most MOBAs from the past year.

4.  ANNO 2205 (if you own it) - like Overwatch, it lacks a proper demo; hence I had to qualify it.  Amusingly, it doesn't support DX12 - also, it's a city sim/business sim. Yet it replaced Simcity 2013 as my city sim of choice  - it's THAT good.

Witcher 3 or Dying Light are currently about the best looking games on Ultra settings, IMHO. Both are fantastic at rendering outdoor scenes, with realistic lighting and long draw distances.

Thanks guys :)

I have Doom - looks gorgeous :D 

Gonna install Forza 6: Apex now - then whack on Assassin's Creed Unity, Dying Light - possibly buy Rise of the Tomb Raider (£30.08 on Windows Market Place).

May try Anno too - love Sim City :D

Oh - The Division looks GORGEOUS :D Far Cry 4 seems to run like a dog on Ultra though (especially if I use Nvidia Experience to configure it!).

3 hours ago, WildWayz said:

Far Cry 4 seems to run like a dog on Ultra though (especially if I use Nvidia Experience to configure it!).

Your CPU is probably bottlenecking it, Far Cry 4 can be CPU heavy in some areas. With an i7-4790k and GTX 1070 (both stock), I get a constant 70-80fps at 1080p with every setting on ultra in Far Cry 4.  

On 7/8/2016 at 1:19 PM, WildWayz said:

Gonna install Forza 6: Apex now - then whack on Assassin's Creed Unity, Dying Light - possibly buy Rise of the Tomb Raider (£30.08 on Windows Market Place).

Oh - The Division looks GORGEOUS :D Far Cry 4 seems to run like a dog on Ultra though (especially if I use Nvidia Experience to configure it!).

I own Simcity 2013 (if you look at the game's thread, you'll notice that I've defended it from various folks that insisted on whacking it - first due to lack of offline play, then even after it fixed that lack mainly because they hate EA, Origin, or both) + Cities of Tomorrow DLC (which I've since called ULC, as installing it triggers a download/update of the main executable with the new content pre-installed; a rather neat trick which I actually find admirable); I also called GlassBox a major tour de force for city sims - and not JUST due to the graphics (Simcity.EDU is actually proving the case).  However, ANNO 2205 is likely the only other city sim in that graphical class - and considering how AWFUL ANNO 2070 is by comparison, it certainly is out of Wrong Field.  Yes - I have a fully-updated ANNO 2070 - with ALL the DLC; it's STILL graphically awful.  Yes - a GTX 1070 is overkill for ANNO 2205 (rather severe overkill, as the game lacks support for 4K) - however, it's one of only two city-sims that doesn't embarrass itself at max detail (naturally, Simcity 2013 is the other).  Despite the lack of 4K OR DX12 support, ANNO 2205 has some serious graphical chops - if you want to show what the graphical powerhouse that is GTX 1070 can do with meerly current-era non-shooter games, ANNO 2205 is the game for you (the problem is that there's no demo available).

Witcher 3. Its game of the decade and really would how off what you PC is capable of.

Pretty much all the games have been mentioned already.

I still fire up Crysis 3 myself as well. Was really fun to fire it up once I got my 980 Ti. I finally felt as if the game was running the way it should. Still a pretty damn good looking game.

For me right now the best graphics of games I actually own are:

The Division

DOOM

I see The Witcher 3 mentioned a lot. I do not own it so cannot say either way. But I see it mentioned a lot.

I also think Battlefield 3 or 4 are good games to test the graphics. To get them looking good while maintaining high frame rates and seeing all the destruction in action is a thing of beauty. They are not the nicest looking games out there, but to me they are some of the more impressive considering what is going on.

Thanks guys

Hmmmm should I hook it up to my 4K TV? I prefer a steady 60fps but think 4K is around 30? Either way, I think i'll need to upgrade my CPU to a 7600K... which also means upgrading the mobo and ram. LOL

Rise of the Tomb Raider looks gorgeous.

Ashes of Singularity - installed but not played yet.

Assassin's Creed Unity - WOW

The Witcher 3 - OoOOOh :D

Doom - getting 175-210fps on max @ 1080p using Vulkan!

The Division - Looks great and steady over 60fps experience.

The think that worries me, is my 3DMark Firestrike score of 12897 - which when looking at others with same spec (card, cpu etc), I am about 2000 points behind them :/
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9194759

On 7/13/2016 at 9:48 AM, WildWayz said:

Thanks guys

Hmmmm should I hook it up to my 4K TV? I prefer a steady 60fps but think 4K is around 30? Either way, I think i'll need to upgrade my CPU to a 7600K... which also means upgrading the mobo and ram. LOL

Rise of the Tomb Raider looks gorgeous.

Ashes of Singularity - installed but not played yet.

Assassin's Creed Unity - WOW

The Witcher 3 - OoOOOh :D

Doom - getting 175-210fps on max @ 1080p using Vulkan!

The Division - Looks great and steady over 60fps experience.

The think that worries me, is my 3DMark Firestrike score of 12897 - which when looking at others with same spec (card, cpu etc), I am about 2000 points behind them :/
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9194759

There ARE games that support 4K @ 60 FPS that are listed above - DOOM (and the demo), the current Need for Speed, and Forza 6: Apex are three of them; the question is finding a display that does that isn't a budget-buster.

Is FireStrike loaded on the OS drive or the gaming drive?  If the latter, that's likely why the falldown - platter drives don't take full advantage of even SATA 3.0gB - let alone SATA 6.0gB interfaces; SSDs, however, do.  (Both my platter drives are SATA 3.0gB WD Eco-Greens - boot drive is 1 TB ex-MyBook; storage drive is 500GB AV Series - part of that pallet-load that was sold to Best Buy; the larger drive is connected to the sole SATA 6.0gB interface the motherboard has; despite that, it is not any faster transfer-rate-wise than the drive half the size connected to the 3.0 interface; I don't have an SSD - yet - as I haven't found a suitable drive cheap enough and large enough to be suitable.)

WOW i've been reading how people have been overclocking these cards... I am seeing hardly any OC achievable on mine.

MSI Gamer X nVidia GeForce 1070 8GB - if I increase the core clock to 2000 Mhz - it causes lockups. Reduce it down to about 1800 Mhz it is fine.

Then i've seen people on Geogaf increase their memory clock by 600-700 Mhz on this card and a core clock to 2100 and their system is stable.

If I so much as increase my memory clock by 100 Mhz, it locks up.

For me, it seems almost impossible to increase and keep a stable system.

Am I doing something wrong?

My PC has good airflow - 120mm fan blowing air in from top of case. 120mm fan blow air out of back of case, 120mm fan blowing air in from the front of the case.

CPU is idling @ 37C and is water cooled.

GPU is idling @ 37C.

Under load, GPU never goes over about 60C.

• 1 month later...

I got a 1080 and been showing off some non VR games in the VIve using mydream swift. For the games that let you change the FOV, it amazingly immersive, like you forget it's not real kind of immersive. Even my wife likes it and she hates gaming, that's saying a lot. So far every game is running like melted butter down a volcano.

On 08/07/2016 at 6:19 PM, WildWayz said:

Your CPU is killing your system :(

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Gears of War Ultimate Edition

On 7/19/2016 at 9:30 AM, WildWayz said:

WOW i've been reading how people have been overclocking these cards... I am seeing hardly any OC achievable on mine.

MSI Gamer X nVidia GeForce 1070 8GB - if I increase the core clock to 2000 Mhz - it causes lockups. Reduce it down to about 1800 Mhz it is fine.

Then i've seen people on Geogaf increase their memory clock by 600-700 Mhz on this card and a core clock to 2100 and their system is stable.

If I so much as increase my memory clock by 100 Mhz, it locks up.

For me, it seems almost impossible to increase and keep a stable system.

Am I doing something wrong?

Check with GPU-Z if your 1070 has Samsung or Micron memory. Micron memory clocks less than Samsung but you should definitely be able to get over +100Mhz memory clock regardless of memory type. 

What software are you using for overclocking, have you upped the power limit? With MSI Afterburner even though my GTX 1070 (MSI Armor OC) has the inferior Micron memory I can achieve a stable +150 Core, +400 Memory at 105% power limit.

Edited by ZakO

7 hours ago, ZakO said:

Check with GPU-Z if your 1070 has Samsung or Micron memory. Micron memory clocks less than Samsung but you should definitely be able to get over +100Mhz memory clock regardless of memory type. 

What software are you using for overclocking, have you upped the power limit? With MSI Afterburner even though my GTX 1070 (MSI Armor OC) has the inferior Micron memory I can achieve a stable +150 Core, +400 Memory at 105% power limit.

Hi,

I've got Samsung memory in my 1070. 

When I have +160 core, +400 memory and 105% power limit, I get some artifacts (flicker) in Valley. When I knock it to +110 power, +150 core and +400 memory I also get it...

I am just not getting the crazy levels others are seeing.

Untitled.png