"Reserve" That Windows 10 free status after July 29th

1 hour ago, Danielx64 said:

Microsoft confirmed to me on twitter that you wouldn't be able to move that free upgrade license to a new computer:

Agreed check my tweet above.

I'm still not convinced ... tweet from last year ... from Helen.  Don't get me wrong ... she could be right ... but she could also be like that XBox support tech who said Fallout 4 was really free...part of a bundle (you remember...about a month or so ago).

I want to see where the underlying license doesn't exist anymore ... that you basically gave up your retail copy for basically an OEM license.

As I mentioned previously ... would be nice for Microsoft to clear this up ... and to update the EULA or to put in text somewhere on their site  .... Digital Entitlement is non transferable   :) 

I mean, if digital entitlements were non-transferable ...that would mean none of these are.  Certainly the last two aren't OEM copies.

You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10

You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10

The again ... "If you upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and then made significant hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. For help on how to activate your device, contact customer support."  

As adrynalyne said ... some gray there.

24 minutes ago, xendrome said:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ultimate-windows-10-activation-license-faq/

"If you have a retail license, you can transfer your Windows 10 license to a new PC without issue. You can not transfer your Digital Entitlement to a new system."

Not exactly an official site though, heh. 

48 minutes ago, xendrome said:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ultimate-windows-10-activation-license-faq/

"If you have a retail license, you can transfer your Windows 10 license to a new PC without issue. You can not transfer your Digital Entitlement to a new system."

Not exactly official ... and I have a slight issue.  For example ...

Q6: I Bought Windows 10; Am I Digitally Entitled?

No. Only users upgrading from legitimate Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 licenses will use Digital Entitlement to secure their Windows 10 activation. Users purchasing shiny new Windows 10 licenses will need to enter their product key as normal, be that digital or disk based.

According to Microsoft if you buy Windows 10 from the Microsoft store you have Digital Entitlement (not a product key).  So Makeuseof says (as you quoted) "You can not transfer your Digital Entitlement to a new system" ... which means you can not transfer the Digitally Entitled copy of Windows 10 you bought from the store either?

/shrug - My head hurts from this :) Wish they would put verbiage in the EULA which would clarify this whole DE thing.