102 arrested, 27 officers injured in 94 shutdown

102 arrested, 27 officers injured in 94 shutdown
KARE 11 Staff , KARE

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- More than 100 people were arrested and 21 St. Paul officers and six state troopers were injured after protesters brought I-94 to a screeching halt for more than five hours Saturday night.
Authorities say during the course of the protests on 94 and later, on Grand and Dale, 21 officers from multiple agencies suffered injuries. The injuries were primarily caused by fireworks, rocks, bricks, glass bottles and chunks of concrete that were directed at officers, some hitting them in the head. St. Paul Police said someone threw a Molotov cocktail at officers, as well.
None of the injuries were serious.
In total, more than 100 people were arrested -- 52 were taken into custody for public nuisance and unlawful assembly during an incident around 4 a.m. at Grand and Dale in St. Paul and 50 were arrested for third-degree riot overnight on I-94.

Police in riot gear warned the crowd several times that arrests would be made if they didn't clear the scene, and after tactics like inert smoke, tear gas and marking rounds failed to disperse the crowd, arrests began.
Those arrested were loaded onto buses and removed from the scene.
Interstate 94 was finally reopened around 1:49 a.m., after authorities removed debris from the highway.
The crowd moved from the freeway back to the governor's mansion where more disruption occurred. A few tried to get back on I-94 but were stopped by police. Several protesters then laid down in the street near Grand and Dale around 2:39 a.m., refusing police commands to clear the area.

More,
http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/102-arrested-21-officers-injured-in-94-shutdown/268434384

How is this supposed to help the public and police relationship? What good comes of "protests" like these? All this is doing is confirming much of the populations thoughts on the matter.

16 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

How is this supposed to help the public and police relationship? What good comes of "protests" like these? All this is doing is confirming much of the populations thoughts on the matter.

Yes they should be like North Korea because they don't have protests there.

• Like 2

Just now, Depicus said:

Yes they should be like North Korea because they don't have protests there.

That is not what I said at all, I was referring to the violence at these protests. How is injuring officers by throwing concrete, rocks, glass Molotov cocktails going to improve relations between the public and the police, specifically minorities? There is a proper way to get your message heard and this is not how to do that. I never said they should not protest.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

That is not what I said at all, I was referring to the violence at these protests. How is injuring officers by throwing concrete, rocks, glass Molotov cocktails going to improve relations between the public and the police, specifically minorities? There is a proper way to get your message heard and this is not how to do that. I never said they should not protest.

Watching the video there are a lot of white legs and arms.....

2 minutes ago, Depicus said:

Watching the video there are a lot of white legs and arms.....

Ok? What is the subject of the protest? You've tried twice now to put words into my mouth.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Ok? What is the subject of the protest? You've tried twice now to put words into my mouth.

Not my intention, just pointing out a few things. Remember without violent protests America would still be a British Colony 

1 hour ago, Depicus said:

Not my intention, just pointing out a few things. Remember without violent protests America would still be a British Colony 

eh...did you really just compare these violent protests to those against the British?  Really?

I believe Martin Luther King Jr. said it best during his Nobel Peace Prize Lecture .... even though acknowledging violence achieved Nations independence.  

"Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."

I've listened to a bunch of his speeches the past couple of days ... his words are truly empowering and inspiring to all man ... someone that is greatly missed in times like this.

4 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

eh...did you really just compare these violent protests to those against the British?  Really?

Yes I did :) 

Just now, jjkusaf said:

Failed comparison is a failure.

I'm more than happy to be corrected but did America not fight the British to win their independence ? Or are you saying the British left without injury or hurt feelings and not a single person was hurt ?

Our violent protests are not against another country...or to gain independence.  There is not justification for these current protests which have been violent.  You can not compare them to the events which led up to the Revolutionary War.

3 minutes ago, Depicus said:

I'm more than happy to be corrected but did America not fight the British to win their independence ? Or are you saying the British left without injury or hurt feelings and not a single person was hurt ?

The British were the enemy, it was a war.

20 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

The British were the enemy, it was a war.

Maybe some people thing the police are the enemy and they are at war ? 

12 minutes ago, Depicus said:

Maybe some people thing the police are the enemy and they are at war ? 

They are 100% wrong if they think in that manner.  Sure, they can protest racial profiling, cops shooting unarmed black people, etc., but it must be done peacefully for anything positive to be gained.  What would a "war" against the police achieve?  They aren't going to leave the country ... all it will do is increase an already intense situation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

They are 100% wrong if they think in that manner.  Sure, they can protest racial profiling, cops shooting unarmed black people, etc., but it must be done peacefully for anything positive to be gained.  What would a "war" against the police achieve?  They aren't going to leave the country ... all it will do is increase an already intense situation.

4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

They are quite stupid and wrong.

And I'm sure there were people who said the same kind of things before the War of Independence. 

24 minutes ago, Depicus said:

And I'm sure there were people who said the same kind of things before the War of Independence. 

What...that the Brits would leave through peaceful negotiations?  I don't think so.

Look, if anything this could be better compared (stretching a little bit) to the Civil Rights Movement ... not the Revolutionary War.  Though there were violent protests (like LA in '65) ... MLK taught and preached that only peaceful protests would lead to victory over the oppressors.  

• Like 3

All for the BLM movement, infact I went down to one of the rallies here in Atlanta which was very peaceful and had a lot of diversity. What is not helping though, is when the groups try to take the freeways and then confront the police. 

1 hour ago, Nogib said:

They should have just turned all those losers into roadkill.

That would have really helped.:rolleyes: You don't fight stupidity, with stupidity.

19 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

That would have really helped.:rolleyes: You don't fight stupidity, with stupidity.

Roads are for cars and roadkill

• Like 2