32" 1440p, recommend?

It's a WQHD or 2560 x 1440.  If I was going to get a monitor that big, I would want it to be 4K at least.  Of course, I'm saving up for a 4K monitor, but don't want it larger than 27".  I'm just using it for photography.  Are you going to be playing games on it, or what?  That seems like a bit of money for such a resolution and not being IPS.

15 minutes ago, devHead said:

It's a WQHD or 2560 x 1440.  If I was going to get a monitor that big, I would want it to be 4K at least.  Of course, I'm saving up for a 4K monitor, but don't want it larger than 27".  I'm just using it for photography.  Are you going to be playing games on it, or what?  That seems like a bit of money for such a resolution and not being IPS.

Will be using it for reading/studying.

I have a Dell S2716DG, 27", 1440p. It's perfect for me, and doesn't require any display scaling.

I suspect that, if you got a 32" 1440p monitor, you might not be satisfied with the resolution. It'd be a bigger monitor, that would sit further away from you, yet the increased display would run at the same 1440p resolution, which would be a bit fuzzier than a 27"

In my opinion, 27" 1440p is a great place to be right now, for a computer monitor. I'm in front of it 18 hrs/day. And I love my monitor's 144Hz and GSync, both great things to have for gaming!

I personally have a Samsung S34E790C 34" WQHD Curved Ultra-Wide 21:9 LED-backlit Monitor. It works well for my needs. This replaced my 2x 23" LCDs.

2 hours ago, devHead said:

The listed viewing angles suggest it is not a TN panel - has to be IPS or MVA

2 hours ago, ultimate99 said:

Will be using it for reading/studying.

For reading, you want the highest possible pixel density as long as other factors are equal.

The quality of the backlight is important and without seeing a detailed review of a monitor, look for a sRGB close to 100% or a high AdobeRGB

In general, the new 4K monitors have high quality backlights and it is harder to get stuck with a bad model except try and read user feedback on Newegg or Amazon for complaints of the "yellow tint" issue and models with bad backlight bleed. These things are often almost invisible when gaming or watching videos but very annoying for long reading sessions.

Try to measure how far the monitor will be from your eyes to avoid the edges moving into your peripheral vision and to calculate the effective pixel density.

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

For reading, you want the highest possible pixel density as long as other factors are equal.

The quality of the backlight is important and without seeing a detailed review of a monitor, look for a sRGB close to 100% or a high AdobeRGB

In general, the new 4K monitors have high quality backlights and it is harder to get stuck with a bad model except try and read user feedback on Newegg or Amazon for complaints of the "yellow tint" issue and models with bad backlight bleed. These things are often almost invisible when gaming or watching videos but very annoying for long reading sessions.

Try to measure how far the monitor will be from your eyes to avoid the edges moving into your peripheral vision and to calculate the effective pixel density.

thanks. How do I do that?

I guess this could be a good option? 27" with 100% sRGB?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

1 hour ago, ultimate99 said:

thanks. How do I do that?

I guess this could be a good option? 27" with 100% sRGB?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Hey, I'm impressed. That's a great monitor. The ASUS Professional monitor series provides most of what you get from a NEC Professional for much less money. The Dell UltraSharp monitors when they are on sale about every two months, provide similar value.

But technology moves on and the 4K version of that ASUS monitor is in a similar price range:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1104&item_id=073120

13 hours ago, DevTech said:

Hey, I'm impressed. That's a great monitor. The ASUS Professional monitor series provides most of what you get from a NEC Professional for much less money. The Dell UltraSharp monitors when they are on sale about every two months, provide similar value.

But technology moves on and the 4K version of that ASUS monitor is in a similar price range:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1104&item_id=073120

now i never considered 4k.....

On 7/11/2016 at 9:03 PM, ultimate99 said:

now i never considered 4k.....

If you get that ASUS model, no prob - otherwise watch out for the lowest cost models that drop to 30hz for 4K - that's an eyestrain.

Also, video card can cause the same 30hz issue - Video card has to support 4k at 60hz and also the cable to the monitor needs bandwidth for 60hz - all easy to source but nobody warns you if they are selling you the wrong thing since crappy 4k is still 4k to them, so worth double-checking

That's true. But I'm looking for 1440p or 1200p as text would be very small on a 4k....and I don't want to play with scaling.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

If you get that ASUS model, no prob - otherwise watch out for the lowest cost models that drop to 30hz for 4K - that's an eyestrain.

Also, video card can cause the same 30hz issue - Video card has to support 4k at 60hz and also the cable to the monitor needs bandwidth for 60hz - all easy to source but nobody warns you if they are selling you the wrong thing since crappy 4k is still 4k to them, so worth double-checking

That's true. But I'm looking for 1440p or 1200p as text would be very small on a 4k....and I don't want to play with scaling.

11 hours ago, ultimate99 said:

I have a 4k on a 15" laptop which i scale to 150% - never had any problems people complain about - every so often you run into tiny text but big deal it is still so sharp on these hi res screens that it is quite readable

the default scale is 250% which would make the difference with non-scaled text more annoying i guess for people that enjoy being annoyed. anyways I think you gain far more than you lose => good value

19 hours ago, DevTech said:

I have a 4k on a 15" laptop which i scale to 150% - never had any problems people complain about - every so often you run into tiny text but big deal it is still so sharp on these hi res screens that it is quite readable

the default scale is 250% which would make the difference with non-scaled text more annoying i guess for people that enjoy being annoyed. anyways I think you gain far more than you lose => good value

How about this, used?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1279770/yamakasi-300-leonidas-30-lcd-s-ips-panel-2560x1600

3 hours ago, ultimate99 said:

That is a strange one. The original 30" type panel at 1600 - then the 27" 1440 came out as a cheap substitute but the 30" was always the holy grail. Flash forward to 2016 and there are a lot of options.

The problem is that there are not very many bad 4K panels. It's too new. After enough time passes low cost monitors using panels of unknown origin hit the market.

So the ASUS professional series and other similar monitors are easy to identify as quality monitors. Stuff like that monitor using old tech is unknown.

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

That is a strange one. The original 30" type panel at 1600 - then the 27" 1440 came out as a cheap substitute but the 30" was always the holy grail. Flash forward to 2016 and there are a lot of options.

The problem is that there are not very many bad 4K panels. It's too new. After enough time passes low cost monitors using panels of unknown origin hit the market.

So the ASUS professional series and other similar monitors are easy to identify as quality monitors. Stuff like that monitor using old tech is unknown.

Good point. 

How about this, being 1920x1200?

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&cs=hkdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=391-BBUW&redirect=1

12 hours ago, ultimate99 said:

You seem  to be all over the place almost like you are traveling with Dr. Who in a TARDIS.

Standard FHD - 1920 x 1080 - 22" to 40"

Original widescreen of Professional 1600 x 1200 (4:3 ) - 1920 x 1200 - 24"

Original Hi-res - 2560 x 1600 30"

Low cost Hi-res - 2560 x 1440 27"

Extra widescreen for FHD - 2560 x 1080 - 29" to 34"

Extra widescreen for Hi-res - 3440 x 1440 - 34"

If you have a space issue, this is a much nicer Dell monitor: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=hkdhs1&sku=210-AGPG

Also, there is a category of "Almost 4K" that is popular:

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=hkdhs1&sku=210-AEBV

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

You seem  to be all over the place almost like you are traveling with Dr. Who in a TARDIS.

Standard FHD - 1920 x 1080 - 22" to 40"

Original widescreen of Professional 1600 x 1200 (4:3 ) - 1920 x 1200 - 24"

Original Hi-res - 2560 x 1600 30"

Low cost Hi-res - 2560 x 1440 27"

Extra widescreen for FHD - 2560 x 1080 - 29" to 34"

Extra widescreen for Hi-res - 3440 x 1440 - 34"

If you have a space issue, this is a much nicer Dell monitor: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=hkdhs1&sku=210-AGPG

Also, there is a category of "Almost 4K" that is popular:

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=hkdhs1&sku=210-AEBV

Thanks for info. Yes, I'm kinda over the place to explore my options. But I'm sure I want something higher than 1080p and at around $300-400 CDN. That's I opted for the U2415.

For reading, larger isn't necessarily better. A larger monitor outputs more light at you which causes more eyestrain. Your eyes are also traveling more. Certainly is better for immersion though if you're doing any gaming or watching movies on it.

Personally I find 1080p on a 27" monitor to be just fine, and 1440p to be superb. 4K still seems overpriced and when things don't scale you're going to cry.

9 hours ago, Andre S. said:

For reading, larger isn't necessarily better. A larger monitor outputs more light at you which causes more eyestrain. Your eyes are also traveling more. Certainly is better for immersion though if you're doing any gaming or watching movies on it.

Personally I find 1080p on a 27" monitor to be just fine, and 1440p to be superb. 4K still seems overpriced and when things don't scale you're going to cry.

what about 1200p on 24"? :D

4 hours ago, ultimate99 said:

what about 1200p on 24"? :D

You are asking people about their personal preferences in terms of how their biology interacts with a device and that is potentially moving you into zero useful information. Other people have a wide variation in vision ability.

You can observe opinions like "scaling issues are a problem" and then add it to a todo list to checkout - for me scaling does not bother me at all since the improvement is so huge that small text here and there is a small price to pay - others, simply can't get past that happening to them and it becomes a deal breaker.

So those types of opinions can give food for thought. But how something exactly appears to another persons eyeball is highly unlikely to translate.

You need to allocate a decent time slot in a large computer store to carefully examine all these variations in monitors that have captured your attention. It can allow you to eliminate some of them and end up with a short list of monitors that you then need to read something on them for an hour or so each - a giant anonymous Walmart sized store helps get you some undisturbed time for that.

1440p is the perfect res for 32" IMO. They're hard to find, at least the Beats version but the HP Envy 32 is great. It's what I have. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1192525&gclid=CMmPpffA-M0CFVE0aQodhl4Bpw&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&is=REG&A=details

At least the B&O version goes 70Hz, which isn't hardcore 144hz for gaming, but a little better than 60hz. Now I have to get a GTX 1070 to replace my 980 that did 1440p @ 70Hz ultra pretty dang good.

What we really need is a 16:9/10, 1440p, 144Hz, G-sync. But none exist yet.