Will more ram help me in running virtual machines

Depends what you have the VMs doing.  But certainly better to have more RAM and not enough CPU than more CPU and not enough RAM.

• Like 3

More RAM will help to an extent, but you're never going to get good performance out of VMs regardless of the amount of RAM due to the weak CPU. I would highly suggest getting a computer with a better CPU if you want to run VMs. From the looks of it, the computer you have was not designed with virtualization workloads in mind.

1 minute ago, Sonyboyj said:

not to be rude but what is my pc meant for cause its slow even running firefox

Very basic computer task such as, internet and Microsoft Office. Internet browsers in general these days are cpu/ram hogs.. Have you tried to use IE or Edge? They tend not to be as good web browsers, but not as taxing on the RAM and CPU. You could also try to install Linux like Ubuntu or Xubuntu.. But doing that will wipe everything off your computer. That computer just isn't made to do much to be honest.

What is your goal for running VMs? You can rent Linux VMs pretty cheap if you doing code or just messing around.. 

More RAM will definately help as will running the VM on a separate HDD to the OS. The CPU will cause some issues though.

So when did you get this pc.. That cpu AMD Kabini E1-2500 is quite dated, from 2nd qtr 2013.. So 3 years old.. And was never anything special even when it first came out.

While sure more ram would help you load more vm's they are never going to be very fast.  I have the same question what exactly do you want to do with these vm's?  Running a linux vm without graphics to help you learning coding sure.

I would prob save your money you would spend on ram and just find something more current..

well i can get a 4gb ram stick for $20 and my cpu is soldered. i just wanna install linux so i can play with the terminal and practice my school work i will be getting a new pc probably in the fall when im done school but until the this POS has to do lol

well if all you want to do is run a basic linux minimal install it should work now.  If you could bump it to 8gb for 20 sure... But you sure its not using 2x2gb now to get you your 4.  Looks like that MB only has 2 slots.  So buying a 4GB stick not going to work unless you wanted to run it with 6 and not be paired, etc.  Normally not a good idea for "speed" ;)

edit: 20$ USD could get you a low end vps to play with for your school work for a year.  So maybe that would be a better option.  I have multiple lowend vps for $15 a year each, some even only $12 and have one even for $6 a year ;)

well actually now i think of it i ran a program once i forget the name cause i was to lazy to open the box and it said only 1  ram slot was beinging used by 4gb .

• 4 weeks later...

they stop selling that one for $6  a year I still have it since its grandfathered,  Cheapest ones I have are $12 a year.  But I have more that are $15 a year those are better since they have full ipv6 support, etc.

But I agree if you want to play with coding its just easier to get a vps.. they are ready in minutes once you place your order, etc. And you just pick what os you want and click click your up and running.  If you F it up, click click and its back to default install and you can start over, etc.

On 7/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Sonyboyj said:

i got 4gb or ram and a crappy 1.4ghz cpu will a extra 4gb of ram help me at all or will the VM's still be slow

Consider an upgrade when you can afford it.

These days, 8 gigs of RAM should be the minimum. :yes: