Two baliffs, gunman dead in shooting at Michigan courthouse, sheriff says

BREAKING NEWS: At least 3, including 2 bailiffs, reportedly killed in shooting at Michigan courthouse

DEVELOPING: Two court bailiffs were killed and a police officer shot Monday inside a southwestern Michigan courthouse when an inmate broke loose and got his hands on a deputy's gun, officials said.

Berrien County Sheriff Paul Bailey told local media at a press conference the gunman, whose identity was not immediately available, was killed by responding police.

The gunfire erupted inside the Berrien County Courthouse in St. Joseph around 2:30 p.m., Fox 17 reported. Bailey said the deputy sheriff who was shot is in stable condition at Lakeland Hospital in St. Joseph, Mich. A post on the Berrien County Sheriff's Facebook page said the officer was shot in left arm and finger.

The courthouse is located about 50 miles west of Kalamazoo, where an Uber driver killed six people in a shooting spree earlier this year.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder announced on Twitter that the Michigan State Police has secured the scene, and is beginning its investigation into the shooting.

St. Joseph is located in far southwestern Michigan's Berrien County, which border

Click for more from Fox17Online.com

A never ending event.

5 hours ago, Shiranui said:

Why wasn't he cuffed?

He was making a court appearance...

6 hours ago, mudslag said:

This doesn't seem to be related to any of the other recent events. 

I know that, I was referring to the shooting of Officers. I do not know what he was charged with, if it was a violent crime, he would have been cuffed.

Believe it or not, I was actually there when it happened. The Barrien County Courthouse contracts IT out to the company I work for. I was there repairing a bad power supply. I heard what sounded like gunshots, but the courthouse is very close to Silver Beach so I figured it was someone having a good time using up spare fireworks from the 4th. Come to find out that wasn't the case. We were on lock down for the rest of the day. They let us go home around 5:30ish. I walk outside and there's 10 cop cars and cops carrying assault riffles. Walked down to Buck Burgers & Brew and had myself a strawberry mojito. Very scarry. Could have gone bad very quickly. 

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

If the cops hadn't been armed, this couldn't have happened! ;)

Yes, we get it.  UK cops are so wonderful and brilliant most of them dont need guns.

12 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yes, we get it.  UK cops are so wonderful and brilliant most of them dont need guns.

It appears my joke went right over your head... Some people just don't have a sense of humour. ;)