Your house is burning & you can grab one thing. What is it?

Assume all of your family and pets are safe outside waiting for you to emerge. You have just enough time to go to one room in your house/apartment/flat/hovel and grab one item that an individual could conceivably carry with both hands (no you can't grab your entire dumbbell set), What would it be?

Because I am boring and have backed up everything important to me on my NAS. I will grab my NAS.

Your turn.

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Laptop. Invaluable code on it. 

Backups my friend. Assuming it is code you don't want to/can't have hosted on any code hosting provider.

For me... I'd probably grab my desktop. Just don't feel like dealing with an insurance replacement on it heh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Backups my friend. Assuming it is code you don't want to/can't have hosted on any code hosting provider.

For me... I'd probably grab my desktop. Just don't feel like dealing with an insurance replacement on it heh.

I have backups but I can't make tfs check ins from home. So anything I work on at home doesn't get checked in until the next day. 

3 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Portable HDD's in one arm, most important books under the other arm.

That is not one thing. 

That is not one thing. 

I can't decide.....:s

3 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

I can't decide.....:s

That's when you say, I will take the box. It is one thing that has all my sh*t in it ;)

• Like 2

That's when you say, I will take the box. It is one thing that has all my sh*t in it ;)

Excellent...Thank you....that's now the plan....whewh!

• Like 2

If I see Orange and Lime on the counter, I just grab Orange... 

Orange is so important.

Just kidding, @LimeMaster

Joking aside...

Depends where is the fire located at..     If a fire is in kitchen, then i could grab my stuff from office.

If fire is in office, I could forget it and leave the house. Unless I see something important (or something I want) on the way out so i could grab it.

Assuming I have my phone already in my pocket, my certificates file, even though I have them all scanned and backed up.

3 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

My testicles.

You are supposed to grab only one thing. So, is it going to be your right one or your left one? :shifty:

My rifle; because it's the most expensive single item in the house and I can use it to put food on the table.  I've got encrypted backups of our files on the cloud and I can replace my 2 TB storage drive for next to nothing, so it's not a priority.

wallet - everything else can be replaced quickly and there is nothing in the house that isn't secured offsite already like things I can't replace.

All main documents are locked in fireproof gun safe in building, all files are constantly backed up daily to that safe which I store a server in.

In order to process anything you need ID and documents and therefore the smartest thing anyone should have said would be ID or well my wallet which has all that in it.

3 minutes ago, sava700 said:

All main documents are locked in fireproof gun safe in building,

Those safes will typically only last in a fire of X degrees for X minutes. so if it's a good sized fire, the contents inside will likely be lost.

Assuming all living being in the house are safe i'm taking my external backup hard drive. I have another one i keep at my job but it's usually one month old or even worse.

11 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Those safes will typically only last in a fire of X degrees for X minutes. so if it's a good sized fire, the contents inside will likely be lost.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=50374856

Product Information:

Buying Guide

The Total Defense Gun Safe offers superior protection to your firearm collection. The fire and water resistant design keeps the contents safe from disasters, while the hardened steel plate behind the lock and 4-way locking system stop intruders. Full door storage and adjustable shelves accommodate your guns and accessories, while the interior outlet lets you power items while inside of the Stack-On® Total Defense 36 Gun Fire and Water Safe.

FEATURES:

36 gun safe

4-way locking with 1.5" tapered live action locking bolts

Drill-resistant, hardened steel plate behind lock

75 minute fire rating at 1400°F

Waterproof up to 2' of standing water for 72 hours

Full door storage system

Adjustable shelves

Fully carpeted

Stainless steel 5-spoke handle

Interior electrical socket

Manufacturer's Limited Lifetime Guarantee and Limited Five Year Warranty

Model: TD14-36-SB

Stack-On

I guess iut depends on how much you pay for one.