Someone intentionally put a magnet by my hard drive.

It was a very small one, one you can find in kids' toys, but either way, there was a magnet right by my hard drive for god knows how long.. and i diddn't discover it until this morning. I started asking people around the house if they knew anything about it, but none of them did. Whoever did it did do it on purpose, because i have the screws DEADBOLTED in there. Someone UNSCREWED them and put the magnet there. I haven't opened the side panel of my computer since day one when i had it built by my local computer professional after i had gotten the parts for it. I haven't found any signs of any corruption, but the computer did have overheating issues which lead me to discover the magnet. There had been a whole bunch of VHS tapes right by the computer. Most of them, very good movies indeed, the entire Back to the future trilogy, independence day, Toy story 1 & 2, you get the point.

Anyway, i need suggestions on WHO might have did such a thing. I mean, a bunch of my brothers friends were here. Some big guy nearly took off with my New Nintendo 3DS XL, But that's a whole 'nother story.

hmmm....what is the question?  A kid's magnet isn't going to damage or cause corruption on the hard drive.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, benjamine6 said:

It was a very small one, one you can find in kids' toys, but either way, there was a magnet right by my hard drive for god knows how long.. and i diddn't discover it until this morning. I started asking people around the house if they knew anything about it, but none of them did. Whoever did it did do it on purpose, because i have the screws DEADBOLTED in there. Someone UNSCREWED them and put the magnet there. I haven't opened the side panel of my computer since day one when i had it built by my local computer professional after i had gotten the parts for it. I haven't found any signs of any corruption, but the computer did have overheating issues which lead me to discover the magnet. There had been a whole bunch of VHS tapes right by the computer. Most of them, very good movies indeed, the entire Back to the future trilogy, independence day, Toy story 1 & 2, you get the point.

Anyway, i need suggestions on WHO might have did such a thing. I mean, a bunch of my brothers friends were here. Some big guy nearly took off with my New Nintendo 3DS XL, But that's a whole 'nother story.

No, I don't get the point

4 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

hmmm....what is the question?  A kid's magnet isn't going to damage or cause corruption on the hard drive.

He wants us to tell him who might have done this.  Me, i think Warwagon did it - it's the sort of joke he would play.

1 minute ago, metallithrax said:

He wants us to tell him who might have done this.  Me, i think Warwagon did it - it's the sort of joke he would play.

hmmm...yea ... @warwagonis a strong possibility.  I would put my money on @DevTech though.

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

hmmm...yea ... @warwagonis a strong possibility.  I would put my money on @DevTech though.

I would only do it in the case it was iron-ic

So the question is Hound of the Baskervilles. We all put on Sherlock Holmes caps, smoke a pipe, play the violin, consume medically spirit lifting substances while simultaneously avoiding the perils of the Scottish Moors on a Dark and Story Night.

Or we can always go back further to the 1500's and chat with William of Occam: tiny magnet fell into case during original assembly. (1)

(2) The case somewhere has a large enough opening for magnet to fall in by accident. Even a fan without a grill etc.

All other increasingly less likely alternatives involve inimical intent by a human, except for a subsequent impossibly less likely Series of Unfortunate Events (4) such as spontaneous creation of tiny magnets as a new heavier than the Higg's Boson particle.

(3) Inimical intent possibilities require as a pre-condition entites that have anger or extreme dislike to the OP combined with confidence to open a computer case combined with lack of basic science and technology education to think a tiny magnet could damage a modern hard drive platter.

A) Anger/Dislike

B) Lack of impulse control so A) can be acted on

C) Confidence to operate basic tools

D) Low IQ or Lack of attention in Science Class

Using standard FBI Profiling, the criminal responsible is Biff (from Back to the Future)

On 7/17/2016 at 8:42 AM, benjamine6 said:

You know what, Benjamin (I'm assuming that's your real name, or some variant of your username), at Cornell University, they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the "tunneling electron microscope." Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons, you can actually see images of the atom, the infinite decimally minute building block of our universe. But if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.  

Secondly, why did you name some of the movies?  Nobody was wondering "hmmm, I wonder which good movies he's talking about?"

Finally, don't worry about the hard drive - if it was a small magnet, it would have no effect on the disk inside.  But what's with the selective ALL CAPS?  Just wondering.  Maybe it was Mark?

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

I see you found the magnet I left for you.

You are an ass dude....lost all respect for you.....  :p

To answer the OP, your guess who did this is better than anyone elses.  Small magnets can be pretty strong.  Do you have a pic of the magnet? 

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Is the OP that same guy who wrote about finding a surface book looged into his account? (If anyone remembers about that).

No - I think those far-fetched stories are always IllegalOperation - most think he is bored and makes stuff up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

No - I think those far-fetched stories are always IllegalOperation - most think  know he is bored and makes stuff up.

FIFY!

And my 2 cents: This 'story' sounds just like a @illegaloperation tale.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2016 at 1:28 PM, devHead said:

You know what, Benjamin (I'm assuming that's your real name, or some variant of your username), at Cornell University, they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the "tunneling electron microscope." Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons, you can actually see images of the atom, the infinite decimally minute building block of our universe. But if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.  

Secondly, why did you name some of the movies?  Nobody was wondering "hmmm, I wonder which good movies he's talking about?"

Finally, don't worry about the hard drive - if it was a small magnet, it would have no effect on the disk inside.  But what's with the selective ALL CAPS?  Just wondering.  Maybe it was Mark?

He made an attempt to be interesting, to tell a story, to set the stage for whatever inventive entertainment people want to run with.

But that somehow exceeded the collective dis-intelligence of the internet forum format and and he should have aimed a lot lower into the big emptiness.  "Should he upgrade to Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro" is the question to ask if he really wanted to get peoples attention on an important and vital discussion...

In addition to Domain Join, the upgrade to the Windows 10 Pro version would give him "Enterprise Magnet Detection" which was a feature originally developed in Microsoft Garage but left the incubator when people realized how common nefarious magnet implantation occurs in office politics. Combined with BitLocker, MagnetLocker ensures that vital enterprise data like the schedule for the office XMAS party is constantly protected from both environmental and supra-environmental sources of digital degradation.

• Like 3

I guess the important question of the day is "How many accounts does @illegaloperation have?" :D or dare I say it, could these be 'friends 'or 'acquaintances' of his?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I guess the important question of the day is "How many accounts does @illegaloperation have?" :D or dare I say it, could these be 'friends 'or 'acquaintances' of his?

Why did you tag me?  I have nothing to do with this topic.

I have to go back to babysitting my little cousin.

Bye-bye.

1 minute ago, illegaloperation said:

Why did you tag me?  I have nothing to do with this topic.

I have to go back to babysitting my little cousin.

Bye-bye.

Your baby cousin that 'stole the golf cart, parked it in your drive way, and rode off with your Macbook Pro while flirting with Sarah on the phone' ?

8 minutes ago, Mando said:

jeesh all, your missing the point, the culprit was...A big boy did it and ran away! jeesh :p 

Was it Obama or Trump then?

heh, I remember the many cases of users putting disks on the fridge using magnets and not knowing why their data is corrupted.

Though I can't speak too much. When I was a kid watching Mr. Wizard talking about magnetism, I decided to test his theory and put a giant magnet against the TV, leaving a permanent distortion.

But to this very day, I am terrified of putting my phone and Kindle in the same pocket. My brain knows they won't mess up each other, but... electromagnets...