My first MacPro

I bought on July 15th from amazon an used Mid 2009 MacPro. I was debating in a Mac mini or MacPro. I choose the MacPro because you can basically expand the power of the computer. The advantage of the Mac mini is the portability. I am very excited, I currently own a 2003 Powermac mdd and I will sell it in eBay. It is pretty much useless and pretty outdated. My mom love it but I told her that she will be in great shape with the Mac Pro. It come with an Intel Quad-Core Xeon @2.66GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM ECC, 1TB HDD, Mac OS X El Capitan installed. Graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB, in very good condition overall. I paid $445 dollars.

I was just talking about these with a co-worker, I still consider the case itself to be one of the most beautiful to ever come from an OEM. I remember there was a huge cult gathering in the overclocking community for these cases and modifying them to work with off the shelf parts + watercooling. Snap some pics when you get it if possible, loved the mesh front.

4 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I was just talking about these with a co-worker, I still consider the case itself to be one of the most beautiful to ever come from an OEM. I remember there was a huge cult gathering in the overclocking community for these cases and modifying them to work with off the shelf parts + watercooling. Snap some pics when you get it if possible, loved the mesh front.

I will do that when I get it :)

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Sounds like a good workstation.

What is the max RAM you can put in those?

For the Mid 2009 is 16GB RAM the maximum. I think the 2010 MacPro you can expand to 32GB RAM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macoman said:

For the Mid 2009 is 16GB RAM the maximum. I think the 2010 MacPro you can expand to 32GB RAM.

Ah. Still decent. A shame about the ram limit though.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

For what I will be using for, even 8GB of RAM is enough. But I will be looking to upgrade it to the maximum of 16GB. I always wanted a MacPro but the price was the issue. Now that the price is in par to the Mac Mini, they are looking a much better alternative to a Mac mini or even an used iMac.

I bought a 2008 Mac Pro a few months back for a really good price. It came installed with 20 GB RAM. I've upgraded the graphics card, added an AirPort card, and replaced the hard drive with an SSD. It's a nice workstation.

3 hours ago, beanboy89 said:

I bought a 2008 Mac Pro a few months back for a really good price. It came installed with 20 GB RAM. I've upgraded the graphics card, added an AirPort card, and replaced the hard drive with an SSD. It's a nice workstation.

That's nice, they are like a beast... You can pretty much add maximum ram, best video card and you have a multimedia / gaming machine. Plus the advantage of running Mac OS and Windows if you have the ISO :)

3 minutes ago, macoman said:

That's nice, they are like a beast... You can pretty much add maximum ram, best video card and you have a multimedia / gaming machine. Plus the advantage of running Mac OS and Windows if you have the ISO :)

I can't imagine today's video cards working. Unless pro cards have OS X drivers?

47 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I can't imagine today's video cards working. Unless pro cards have OS X drivers?

There are 3GB Mac video cards that work with the MacPro. But they are expensive as hell... I was checking the price in Amazon... They are close to $500.

3 minutes ago, macoman said:

There are 3GB Mac video cards that work with the MacPro. But they are expensive as hell... I was checking the price in Amazon... They are close to $500.

That is about the average price for professional grade graphics cards, it is normally a little extra for Macs due to the extra testing and development required.

7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

You can actually firmware upgrade the 2009 to the 2010 and you can get 32GB. It's posted all over the Internet and not hard to do.

1 hour ago, offroadaaron said:

You can actually firmware upgrade the 2009 to the 2010 and you can get 32GB. It's posted all over the Internet and not hard to do.

Yup, I was checking that and I am amazed how a little firmware can saved you few hundreds dollars and make your 2009 MacPro into a 2010 model. Now the only thing that you will have to expend money is to upgrade the processor and the memory to match the 2010 models.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very happy with this MacPro... I successfully upgraded the firmware with the netkas one and transformed my MacPro 2009 firmware to a 2010 firmware and is working pretty good. Now question, it's the internal speaker on the MacPro crap? Because the sound quality is just awful when you listen videos or music.