Should I Move?

I am currently running Linux Mint 17.3. And I just thought, why not just use Debian Jessie. I was a big fan of Squeeze and Wheezy. (wanted to look elsewhere)

The reason I want to move is these three issues:

- When I play on Minecraft, my icon on my panel dissapears. Also, I noticed recently, that my Skype Icon on far right is disappearing, too.

- I keep getting these weird errors in Chrome/Chromium that say "these pages are not responding" when, they really are.

- I keep getting this annoying "ACPI PPC Probe Failed" error whenever I restart this computer. No matter what I do...

Is there a way to fix these, or should I just switch? I know, choice is at my finger tips. Just, are they fixable, or do I have to go to the next version? (Mint 18)

• Like 1

It's up to you. :) Use whatever works best and most smoothly for your uses, and whatever you're most comfortable and familiar with. If you feel best living in Debian City, go live there.

It's not like you didn't give Ubuntu/Mint a fair shake. :yes: 

Ubuntu 16.04 was a joke... I had a lot of help from you guys in Debian Squeeze/Wheezy. For that, I thank you. :)

I should really go back to my roots where I came from... Debian, just... works...

• Like 1

Yeah, Mint 18 makes it barely tolerable ... and I mean slightly over the edge between "what is this [expletive descriptive]" to "I guess I can put up with it, so long as they're working on it".

The Mint Devs are already working on 18.1 because of all the problems with 16.04 as a base ... not that it's their fault, obviously. There are even whispers that LMDE is gonna get a lot more development time now, because of this ... read into that what you will.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I did not care for Ubunto, Mint was OK for me but Debian I think requires more knowledge of Linux than I have.

c6217f62cd7f795b50c4d7b720c370f8.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Well I used Mint, PCLinuxOS, Suse and a bunch of other Disrto's but Debian was kind of hard for me.

What's the last time you used Debian? They have made major breakthroughs in the last few years. A lot easier IMO.

I brought up Jessie in VirtualBox, loaded it up with XFCE4. Yep, I'm back home. Didn't get to test the NVIDIA drivers yet, but I heard and saw they were top notch. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I brought up Jessie in VirtualBox, loaded it up with XFCE4. Yep, I'm back home. Didn't get to test the NVIDIA drivers yet, but I heard and saw they were top notch. :)

Xubuntu is my choice. XFCE4 is awesome and a very low resource hog. Love it! I also used straight Debian in the past and enjoyed that very much too.

What's the last time you used Debian? They have made major breakthroughs in the last few years. A lot easier IMO.

About 8 or 9 years ago.

I'm not THAT techie for Arch...

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

About 8 or 9 years ago.

Yeah, It'd change by now...

Well, I made the laughable and downright dumb choice to upgrade Mint 17.3 to 18.0 ... and yeah. It's been flaky to say the least. A few pretty healthy updates later and things are starting to settle down; but by golly it's been a rollercoaster. I might actually go back to 17.3 and fresh install an 18.1 in six months when the dust has totally settled.

OK, I'm back up. After HOURS of trying to get something that works.

First I try Debian Jessie (8.5), installed that twice, in text mode. Both times, it failed after reboot. after grub, it just goes blank. I tried nomodset, I tried splash nomodet. Nothing worked.

So I was thinking, OK, why not try Mint LMDE 2? It's based off Jessie... So I try that, can't get past the Mint chooser. I tried loading off each option. Nope, nothing.

So then, oh the hell with it, try Xubuntu 16.04. IT WORKS! Does this have anything to do with my 750Ti? I tried both HDMI and DVI (I know they're both technically the same, but wth...)

If I were to buy a new gfx card that would fix this, would they have drivers for a 1060, yet?

I still have to do a bunch of crap, getting this back to where I was....

But, WTF!!

Oof. :( 

16.04 Xubuntu ... okay. It'll be the least fussy of the 16.04 series. That and Lubuntu. And yeah, as far as drivers for the 750ti, it'll be right up there with what Mint 17.3 (14.04.3) was using.

As far as drivers for the 1060 ... probably not yet. Dunno if it's got a driver for the 10x-series of cards right now. If there is, they'll be proto- branch or first-gen.

Makes me wonder how far the price has come down on the 980ti's ... :shifty:

~$500 now.... It's all over the board. $400-$600...

Well, at least we know NVIDIA will get a driver out long before AMD does... :laugh:

I currently have the 340 NVIDIA driver running fine. So I'm set there. :)

Finally got OpenJDK, VLC, and other small things going :)

• Like 1

I heard Mint is hard at work on the 18.1 version, to fix a ton of issues. You have any idea when that will be out, and/or what exactly it fixes? I heard so much trouble with version 18...

• Like 1

I heard Mint is hard at work on the 18.1 version, to fix a ton of issues. You have any idea when that will be out, and/or what exactly it fixes? I heard so much trouble with version 18...

ASAP. The word is they're fed up with Ubuntu's design shenanigans. I don't think anyone really has any idea how close Mint is to just dropping Ubuntu as a core and going full-tilt with LMDE as their focus. Mint pushing some user-friendly features upstream into Debian's neck of the woods could really benefit Debian a great deal if that were to happen ... and there's some talk that it might if things keep going the way they are behind-the-scenes. They're so done with Ubuntu's QA issues right now ...

• Like 1

Sounds like they're done with Ubuntu... If it is based off Debian Jessie, will I have the same issues here as I did with Debian Jessie and Mint LMDE 2? Where my video would not work?

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Sounds like they're done with Ubuntu... If it is based off Debian Jessie, will I have the same issues here as I did with Debian Jessie and Mint LMDE 2? Where my video would not work?

There's ways around that too. PPA is working on Debian now, like Ubuntu and Mint (and others). :yes: 

No, I meant that I can't even get onto the desktop, no matter what i try, even with nomodset, it fails to respond.....

Debian Jessie: After grub, it goes blank, nomodset does nothing, I cant even get to TTY1

Mint LMDE2: Couldn't get past the Mint boot menu.

Does this have something to do with my card? Maybe I should load it with another card, and put the 750ti back in?

Let me see what's what. I'm gonna install Testing and see what the deal is for myself. I'm pretty good at getting 'em running.