How problem free is rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7?

I have Windows 7 but wouldn't mind activating Windows 10 before the free offer ends. I used to enjoy messing around with computers but these days all that matters is that it works. Are there any problems I should be aware of before upgrading to Windows 10 and then rolling back to 7? In my experience these things are never as simple as they suggest and a fresh install is always better, but I don't want the hassle of doing that if possible.

Thanks

All I can say is that rolling back to a previous Insider build is flawless. a couple of apps didn't work for me in a Fast Ring build and I rolled back to the previous one and everything worked again.

It should recover your Windows 7 state just fine.

1 hour ago, Brodel said:

I have Windows 7 but wouldn't mind activating Windows 10 before the free offer ends. I used to enjoy messing around with computers but these days all that matters is that it works. Are there any problems I should be aware of before upgrading to Windows 10 and then rolling back to 7? In my experience these things are never as simple as they suggest and a fresh install is always better, but I don't want the hassle of doing that if possible.

Thanks

You should be fine ... though I would recommend after upgrading just to mess around with 10 for a bit and see if it meets your requirements vs. just upgrading and then rolling back.  There is always a chance something could go wrong with rolling back...but this is few and far between.  EaseUS also has a program called "System Goback" which might be helpful in alleviating your concerns...basically creates a clone of your current OS for easy "rollback".

Thanks for the quick replies. It looks like it's worth doing then, the system goback app looks really handy too so I'll give that a go as well. 

Won't restoring an image just enable the nag to upgrade again? You'd be booting to the same exact state before accepting the free offer :p I'd certainly do an image for a failsafe fallback, but I recommend rolling back to 7 from Windows 10 and see if everything is 'A OK' so you don't end up restoring to Windows 7 that is still asking you to upgrade :p 

While what you said is true Steve, after my last experience in doing such a rollback it ended in tears. It was my uncles laptop that got upgraded without his permission.

From that point on I just recommended that an image is made and restore from it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

While what you said is true Steve, after my last experience in doing such a rollback it ended in tears. It was my uncles laptop that got upgraded without his permission.

From that point on I just recommended that an image is made and restore from it.

Without his permission:laugh:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brodel said:

Thanks

Not sure if you have a spare hard drive laying around or not. I have a ton. If you have a spare hard drive, just disconnect your main windows 7 drive. Hook up the spare drive, install windows 10 onto that. Upon first boot to the desktop, check to see if it's activated. If it is, turn the computer off. Disconnect the hard drive and hook your old one back up, DONE!

5 hours ago, Brodel said:

Thanks

Roll backs are not without issues so an image of your system would be the best method.

Unfortunately upgrades can be fraught with issues so I'd highly recommend doing the image, and then a clean install of Windows 10. Then you start with a clean slate which it typically the best way to go to Windows 10. If it doesn't work you still have the image to fallback on.

• Like 2

About 2/20 rollbacks after 7 --> 10 have borked the system.  One wouldn't boot back into 7, the other would but had issues.  Thankfully had data backups on both so total dump and direct Win 10 install on each worked fine.  Best advice: before rolling the OS back, *assume* it won't rollback 100% and prep for that should it happen.

• Like 2

So I backed everything up and upgraded to 10. For some reason it kept on freezing, so I've rolled back to 7 which was pretty painless and seems to be working fine. I'm guessing 10 would work with a fresh install but for whatever reason it didn't like upgrading in my case. At least I now have a key though. Thanks again for the help.