Russian warplanes reportedly bombed US base in Syria

Russian warplanes reportedly bombed a secret military base in Syria used by elite American and British forces last month.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that the Russian strike on the CIA-linked site was part of a campaign by Russia to pressure the White House to agree to closer cooperation in the Syrian skies, U.S. military and intelligence officials said.

Despite the fact that some forces could have been killed and the bombing dampened relations between Russia and the Pentagon and CIA, the White House and State Department still perused a compromise.

The U.S. and Russia agreed to a pact last week to target airstrikes against the Al Qaeda affiliate in the region – Nusra Front – despite objections from the Pentagon and CIA. Russia agreed to stop airstrikes on U.S.-backed rebels and restrain the Syrian air campaign. The two sides are still talking about designations where Russia would need U.S. approval to conduct an airstrike.

According to The Wall Street Journal, deal backers in the White House and State Department believe U.S. airstrikes on the Nusra Front in areas that were previously occupied by Russian forces would provide protection for allies in Syria.

However, officials in the Pentagon and CIA contend that Washington bowed to Moscow in the deal and believe that the U.S. needs to confront Russia.

The Russian strike on the base occurred on June 16. The U.S. and British forces help maintain what is described as a buffer zone in Jordan. Forces go into Syria to help protect Jordan from Islamic State, U.S. officials told The Journal. Forces didn’t spend the night, due to security reasons.

Nearly a day before the strike, 20 of 24 British special forces pulled out of the base. The U.S. tracked a Russian plane heading toward the base. The warplane dropped a cluster bomb, according to U.S. and rebel officials.

After the first strike, U.S. central command air operations center in Qatar called Russia’s air campaign headquarters in Latakia, Syria to tell them that the base shouldn’t be attacked.

However, Russian forces struck again nearly 90 minutes after the call was made. Russian pilots didn’t respond to U.S. calls using frequencies the two sides had previously agreed to use in case of an emergency.

At least four rebels were killed in strikes.

Russian officials initially told the Pentagon that the military thought it was an Islamic State facility, but U.S. officials rejected the notion because of what they described as a unique way the base was fortified, The Journal reported.

Russians then said that the Jordanians had given them the go-ahead to strike the base, but the U.S. double-checked and said no such authorization was given. Later, Russia told the U.S. that their headquarters wasn’t in position to call off the strike because the U.S. didn’t provide them with the proper coordinates of the base.

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07/22/russian-warplanes-reportedly-bombed-us-base-in-syria.html

Russian warplanes reportedly bombed a secret military base in Syria used by elite American and British forces last month.

Just because they are elite, doesn't mean they are legal in Syria. 

because the U.S. didn’t provide them with the proper coordinates of the base.

Don't want your base bombed in a country where you hadn't been invited to and you know Russia has been bombing for 9 months - share the coordinates.

Also, the chances are the base was used for some sort of a mediation with the Syrian U.S.-backed "moderate" child head choppers.

Or, it could've been an elite empty warehouse.

56 minutes ago, DocM said:

Sounds like it's time to issue the guards MANPADs, and use them.

May cause more is issues.  And the planes were communicated with on predetermined channels and apparently either didnt hear or listen as then came back for another round.

This could be the catalyst to WWIII. not necessarily though. Obama hasn't shown much backbone. I'd expect something big from 10 Downing street however. maybe even a condemnation. crickets thus far 

a secret military base in Syria used by elite American and British

secret? as it was not announced to legal ruler of Syria (Assad) and his de facto ally (Russia)?

If mexico made a secret base in US soil and not informed US govt about it, i would surely consider that as an act of invasion!

45 minutes ago, Torolol said:

secret? as it was not announced to legal ruler of Syria (Assad) and his de facto ally (Russia)?

If mexico made a secret base in US soil and not informed US govt about it, i would surely consider that as an act of invasion!

There's a difference between announced and asked.  The US has a "cannot confirm or deny" ideology when it comes to these bases.  Good on Russians to bomb the place.  

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

This could be the catalyst to WWIII. not necessarily though. Obama hasn't shown much backbone. I'd expect something big from 10 Downing street however. maybe even a condemnation. crickets thus far 

Hold on a sec, not starting WW3 is a display of weakness?

US Coalition Responsible for Sending Troops to Russian Operation Areas

The US-led international coalition chiefs in Syria are accountable for sending troops to areas targeted by Russian airstrikes, Russian Defense Ministry's spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said on Saturday.

He added that Russia was constantly asking partners in fight against terrorism in Syria to notify of locations of allied moderate opposition forces, so that they would not be targeted by accident.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'd expect something big from 10 Downing street however. maybe even a condemnation. crickets thus far 

Haha.

I'm sure Boris and Theresa are on it. By "it" I mean incompetence tea.

On 7/23/2016 at 9:36 AM, chrisj1968 said:

This article could be of interest to you.

1 hour ago, Nashy said:

Why is Russia always the bad guy?  This USA trying to rule everyone and everywhere is getting pretty tired. 

Because the Western audience gets a distorted news-feed on Russia.

There was a study when they sampled news articles about Russia from the major western media outlets. They found out that nearly all of them reported negative news on Russia all the time as if nothing good ever came out of the country. I know this from my own experience and you can check it out for yourself too. Just punch "russia" into google news.

As of right now, the second biggest story on Russia after the Olympic judgment is this one: "Russia could invade Poland 'overnight': report NEWS.com.au-3 hours ago"

• Like 2

If the USA would stop trying to overthrow the legitimate government in Syria, then their troops wouldn't be in a position to get bombed by Russia, who is backing said legitimate government. Obama's foreign policy has been designed o install Islamic governments throughout the Middle East and north Africa.

7 hours ago, Nashy said:

Why is Russia always the bad guy?  This USA trying to rule everyone and everywhere is getting pretty tired. 

The West needs Russia as the bad guy in order to fund NATO and defense spending.  No one in the west wants to end wars and conflict.  Sadly, without conflicts, the American economy may collapse. 

On 7/23/2016 at 3:29 AM, ctebah said:

There's a difference between announced and asked.  The US has a "cannot confirm or deny" ideology when it comes to these bases.  Good on Russians to bomb the place.  

Maybe if they bombed your house it would be good. Never read such nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Maybe if they bombed your house it would be good. Never read such nonsense.

I live in an apartment.  Bombing illegal bases is the way to go!  Less trained terrorist is always a good thing.  

8 minutes ago, ctebah said:

I live in an apartment.  Bombing illegal bases is the way to go!  Less trained terrorist is always a good thing.  

Bombing US and British forces is not the way to go.

Just now, ctebah said:

Why not?  Specially if they're there illegally and training terrorists

Tell that to Obama. He sent them there. They are supposed to be training forces to fight terror but it is kind of hard to determine which is what.

Just now, Gary7 said:

Tell that to Obama. He sent them there. They are supposed to be training forces to fight terror but it is kind of hard to determine which is what.

I asked a question thought...

Just now, ctebah said:

Huh?  I think you're lost, again.

All US troops in Syria are there illegally. 

No you are the one that is lost. Show me a source that says they are there illegally? If indeed they are then Obama should be tried as a war criminal along with the British PM.