Which PCIE slot shoudl i use?

Hi Guys,

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard, it has the following PCI Express Slot:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

1 x PCI Express x1 slot

I was wondering, if i plug the Wifi card in the slot that is running at x4, will it reduce the download speeds of the wifi card?  As i have my GPU in the first slot and if i install the wifi card in the 2nd slot, that will reduce the speed of the first slot. (if i'm right?)

Thanks

Put the wifi card in the smallest slot it fits in.  It should be fine at x4 as a x1 slot would mean ~8Gbps (v3) or ~15Gbps (v4) - your wifi card won't even come close to that let alone what a x4 slot will give you (~32Gbps and ~90Gbps, respectively).

• Like 2

It will not matter if you plug it into x4 or x1 if i can remember correctly. 

The network speeds you would be getting would not be enough to saturate the x4.

The first two slots appear to be for use with a dual video card setup, you should be able to get away with using the wifi card in the x4  or x1 slot (neither will reduce the bandwidth of your download speed) but you are right in that if you use it in the second slot, it will reduce the first one to x8 (for your GPU).

thank you all for your help. 

You have all answered my question, I really appreciate it.