ASUS notebook N750JV notebook turns hot; possible cause(s)?

I have a 2,5 old year Asus N750JV notebook.

This notebook turns really hot (mobo and CPU above 75-80 degrees in Speccy).

The location where this is, is in the picture left-above (where the power connector is inserted in the notebook).

Is this the CPU/GPU location? Or something else?

What can be done as to lower this 'thingy' down in temperature...?

Hardware have I not changed a thing since the beginning, despite adding a second HDD (SDD) to my system from the start.

All latest updates and BIOS are installed.

N750JV-open.jpg

heat causes:

-dried up thermal paste/grease.  This doesn't allow proper heat transfer to heat sink

-processes tying up more system resources causing the processor to be used more

-fans no longer as efficient as new

-gunked up heat sync fins

An option is to get a cool pad.  https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Thermaltake-Massive23-LX-notebook-stand-with-2-ports-USB-hub-and-cooling/2566974.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=2566974&cm_pla=NA-NA-TET_MC&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=V31p8QAAAe2-bmzP:20160725200543:s&gclid=CjwKEAjw8da8BRDssvyH8uPEgnoSJABJmwYoHDKPGy9BTvPtXB2J66ixBJAqGiIlhB8RMUGhSOkXthoCoOnw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!61836302899!!!g!89080445097!

They do work, but don't expect them to replace your internal cooling...it only supplements, adding more air flow around your laptop. 

1.jpg

I just compressed-air the fans.

Hope this helps.

Otherwise, I'll be looking at some cooling pads. Great idea of you guys!

• 1 year later...

Hi Kiddingguy

I have the same laptop and seem to have an overheating problem. The fans are going frequently without much of stuff being open or worked with.

Have you ever  replaced the CPU cooling connection paste? Have you had any problems doing this?

Would  be nice to hear if/what?

Thanks

11 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Asus Laptops are known to run hot. Dont worry about it as I have one as well.

Hello Bruinator

I can't say that my n750jv has been running hot for all the time. It started approx a year ago(at 4years) and then I brought it to a PC outfit for a cleaning incl CPU paste replacement. It was a special they offered. Not sure how well they did it. It did improve, but not hugely.

Now the CPU gets hot reasonably quickly just with lots of tabs open in the browser. I have replaced the fans as a first without improvement. Now I am seriously thinking about replacing the CPU contact paste. I got the paste here though forgot to get the cleaning alcohol.

Here is the job the PC shop did. To me it seems they have used a bit too much paste. Does anyone know if the paste behind tat clear(and coloured) film can be removed or if it could be the culprit for heating up too quickly? It is a semi soft foil and I'm scared of peeling it off.

20180617_133945.jpg

Edited by Noig

That "film" is just a thermal pad ... I wouldn't worry about nor would I remove it.  The spread on the paste looks fine ... though unknown brand.  You could always, since you have it cracked open, clean it up the paste and apply some Arctic Silver or some other known brand...using the spread method.  Plenty of videos on YouTube with respect to applying thermal grease on notebook CPUs.  

The laptops are still alive?

Thanks for being able to post here! Either it is a good machine or I wasn't any good in my searches.

So very happy this thread wasn't closed yet.

17 hours ago, Noig said:

Either it is a good machine or I wasn't any good in my searches

What I meant was that I could not find much info through web search about this laptop's  replacement or refurbishment of the cpu cooling, just a few items about overheating only. This should be a positive sign about the machine(hopefully).

Done the replacement of the paste and it seems to be better.

Thanks guys/ladies?

• Like 2

• Jim K locked this topic