Elderly priest killed in French church, attack claimed by Islamic State

Effing animals....

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSKCN1060VA

(Reuters) - Assailants loyal to Islamic State forced an elderly priest to his knees before slitting his throat and took several worshippers hostage in a French church on Tuesday before police shot the attackers dead.

It was the latest in a wave of attacks in Europe inspired by the Islamist militant group based in Iraq and Syria that is on the defensive against a U.S.-led military coalition in which France is a major partner.

The knifemen entered the church during morning mass near the northern city of Rouen, northwest of Paris, killing Father Jacques Hamel, an 85-year-old parish priest, and taking four other people hostage, one of whom was seriously wounded.

"They forced him to his knees and he tried to defend himself and that's when the drama began," Sister Danielle, who escaped as the attackers slayed the priest, told RMC radio.

"They filmed themselves. It was like a sermon in Arabic around the altar," the nun added.

Police shot the attackers dead as they emerged from the church in the Normandy town of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray.

Speaking at the scene of the attack, President Francois Hollande said Islamic State had declared war on France, which should "use all its means" within the law to fight the group.
>

French authorities say one of the church attackers was on bail for having terrorist links.

http://us.afpmobile.com/pl/svt/si/afp/po/opnoram/sc/afp_en_topnews/dk/afpmobile.07-26-2016.9620/ms/OLWYJR3DIk1/r/1469557839/pa/300796/uid/

One of the two attackers who stormed a church in France and slit a priest's throat on Tuesday had been charged with terror links and held before being freed on bail, a source close to the investigation said.
>

11 hours ago, Gary7 said:

If a Islamic Cleric was killed the world would be on fire.

Could you imagine the rioting that would take place in the western world, by the peaceful Muslims if that happened?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, restroom said:

Could you imagine the rioting that would take place in the western world, by the peaceful Muslims if that happened?

It will happen.  Eventually some idiot will seek revenge. 

• Like 1

Ah the religion of peace strikes again. Soon to be a common thing like in Israel or those in the Middle East in general. These small attacks seem to happen between Germany and France every few weeks or less. The larger ones which take some planning happen usually in 3-6 months so expect more to fill the news sites. Brexit looking better by the day (minus the 10% price increases in some products etc.).

1.jpg

3 hours ago, restroom said:

They may have some peaceful demonstrations , but I doubt that they would be violent.

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

They may have some peaceful demonstrations , but I doubt that they would be violent.

But I've been on Neowin long enough to know your likely being sarcastic in saying they would be peaceful ;)

6 minutes ago, restroom said:

But I've been on Neowin long enough to know your likely being sarcastic in saying they would be peaceful ;)

No, The population of Dearborn, Michigan is mostly Muslim, their mayor and Police Chief are Muslim. I lived in that area for a while and when The Iraq war started they were dancing in the streets. I cannot to this day remember any Muslim protests in the US. The real Muslim religion is one of peace. ISIS has twisted it to suit their fanatic needs.

• Like 2

Another attack. :(

These guys are receiving the exact attention they want. I imagine France will consider strengthening security in certain places like churches.

44 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

The real Muslim religion is one of peace.

Who decides what a religion should be/not be? Are you claiming you decide for the rest of muslims? Do they accept your claim of the correct interpretation of Islam?

While MOST muslims are peaceful, there is no way to tell which ones are peaceful and which ones are not. The only safe thing for everyone is to ban them all. Islam, as it is written, is NOT compatible in any society let alone western society. As we are seeing more and more...1 bad apple spoils the lot (in this case, millions).

3 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

Who decides what a religion should be/not be? Are you claiming you decide for the rest of muslims? Do they accept your claim of the correct interpretation of Islam?

Their actions determine that, as I said I lived in The Detroit Metro area and one of my friends lived in Dearborn. How many Muslim riots have you seen in the US? NONEI know several Muslims and they are peaceful.  Below are my exact words

If you are going to quote me quote the entire message and not the part that suits your  needs.

The real Muslim religion is one of peace. ISIS has twisted it to suit their fanatic needs.

2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Yeah, folks said that when someone drew a cartoon of Muhammed. How'd that work out?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

The real Muslim religion is one of peace. ISIS has twisted it to suit their fanatic needs.

Sadly, I can't agree with you.  If it were, the middle east wouldn't be tearing itself apart with muslim on muslim violence, would it?

Islam is only peaceful to those who follow the same particular sect as everyone else.  If you don't, you're the enemy. The only difference is most don't act on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rippleman said:

While MOST muslims are peaceful, there is no way to tell which ones are peaceful and which ones are not. The only safe thing for everyone is to ban them all. Islam, as it is written, is NOT compatible in any society let alone western society. As we are seeing more and more...1 bad apple spoils the lot (in this case, millions).

Take a good look at Catholic & protestants history and tell me You can't see the similarities. Remember that during WWII Vatican supported Nazi's sometimes and somewhere directly like in Croatia and somewhere else like in Germany by staying quiet. Religions are not at fault but men interpreting and leading them.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Sadly, I can't agree with you.  If it were, the middle east wouldn't be tearing itself apart with muslim on muslim violence, would it?

Islam is only peaceful to those who follow the same particular sect as everyone else.  If you don't, you're the enemy. The only difference is most don't act on it.

I basically was referring to The Muslim Population in The US.

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

Muslims in the US really aren't terribly different to Muslims anywhere else.  Most are moderate in action, but don't be too surprised that many will quietly agree with the actions of their fellows

3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Their actions determine that,

I quote only the part that I am addressing. Having said that, actions do not determine what a religion stands for, individual interpretation does. The strength/weakness of religions are that they can be molded into any position you want it to be including good AND bad. I am not into mythology so I reject it all although it has been a interest of how it affects humans throughout history. If you have ever read the holy book or Islam, you would see that, from an outside unbiased viewpoint, ISIS is following Islam to the letter. Ironically ISIS is folllowing Christianitys laws as it is written as well. 

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

This is a shining example of what I was meaning - different location= different views, different practices, different twisting of the laws, etc.

Note: It is claimed that the god muslims and christains worship is all knowing and all powerful. If so, it would know EXACTLY  how to get a perfect  message to anyone from anywhere of any intelligence level, but yet, here they are with thousands of different claims (roughly 4000 to date).

Point: You can not make the claim ISIS is wrong based on what YOU feel Islam is/should be. You can also not make the claim that US muslims are right based on what YOU feel Islam is/should be. Unless you can prove your claim, then you are in the same boat as ISIS (in regards to their god claim). Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. 

Disclaimer: I think each and every ISIS supporter/member/active participant should be shot on site (aside from children aged 14 and under). I am saddened for having said that though since, had they not been mentally  poisoned from birth, they could be a really good and caring person - possibly. Through history, there has been good men who have done good deeds. There has also been bad men who have done bad deeds. However, to get a good man to do a bad deed, that takes religion. 

3 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

I quote only the part that I am addressing. Having said that, actions do not determine what a religion stands for, individual interpretation does. The strength/weakness of religions are that they can be molded into any position you want it to be including good AND bad. I am not into mythology so I reject it all although it has been a interest of how it affects humans throughout history. If you have ever read the holy book or Islam, you would see that, from an outside unbiased viewpoint, ISIS is following Islam to the letter. Ironically ISIS is folllowing Christianitys laws as it is written as well. 

This is a shining example of what I was meaning - different location= different views, different practices, different twisting of the laws, etc.

Note: It is claimed that the god muslims and christains worship is all knowing and all powerful. If so, it would know EXACTLY  how to get a perfect  message to anyone from anywhere of any intelligence level, but yet, here they are with thousands of different claims (roughly 4000 to date).

Point: You can not make the claim ISIS is wrong based on what YOU feel Islam is/should be. You can also not make the claim that US muslims are right based on what YOU feel Islam is/should be. Unless you can prove your claim, then you are in the same boat as ISIS (in regards to their god claim). Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. 

Disclaimer: I think each and every ISIS supporter/member/active participant should be shot on site (aside from children aged 14 and under). I am saddened for having said that though since, had they not been mentally  poisoned from birth, they could be a really good and caring person - possibly. Through history, there has been good men who have done good deeds. There has also been bad men who have done bad deeds. However, to get a good man to do a bad deed, that takes religion. 

How many through the ages were killed in The name of a Supreme being, call him what you will. The majority of Muslims in The US are peaceful though some of them may believe in what ISIS is doing, there has yest to be a mass protest by any Muslim group here about anything.

6 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

Point: You can not make the claim ISIS is wrong based on what YOU feel Islam is/should be.

So you then feel that is just fine and dandy that ISIS beheads people, even their own and children as well after they rape them. I can claim anything I damn well please. You are not my overlord.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

So you then feel that is just fine and dandy that ISIS beheads people, even their own and children as well after they rape them. I can claim anything I damn well please. You are not my overlord.

That's not what he's saying, Gary.  His point is, you cannot say you are right and ISIS are wrong, when it's ISIS who are the ones following the instructions in the Qur'an to the letter.  Everything is about interpretation, at the end of the day, and whilst their interpretation is particularly violent and vile, it's still as valid as yours.

3 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That's not what he's saying, Gary.  His point is, you cannot say you are right and ISIS are wrong, when it's ISIS who are the ones following the instructions in the Qur'an to the letter.  Everything is about interpretation, at the end of the day, and whilst their interpretation is particularly violent and vile, it's still as valid as yours.

But they should know as most Christians know that what was written in The Old Testament is BS along with possibly the entire book.  God or Jesus did not write the Bible and Mohammad did not write The Quran. Anyone who takes these things as Gospel is well NUTS. I can say that murder . rape , torture, mutilation of women, pedophilia ...etc is WRONG in a civilized world.

My Father told me once to never argue religion or politics. I think he was right as no one can win a debate on this.

• Like 1