Alarm Clock Software

Question

So, I'm looking for alarm clock software. Two kinds, actually. My brother and I both have a hard time waking up in the morning. I'm looking for software that can run on a Raspberry Pi, and I need a easy piece of software that I can change the default audio stream on. Something that I can set to run through my desktop speakers.

Before you say "Hey! Windows 10 has one!" I've been there. I have to change my default audio, and that screws with all my applications. Dunno why but it does.

My other thought was to quickly code one, but that's a bit out of my reach at the moment. Anyways, suggestions/thoughts?

10 answers to this question

Can't really help about the alarm clock software itself, but maybe I can help with changing the default audio playback device in Windows:

You can create a scheduled task to start this piece of software: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html to change your audio playback device at a certain time (maybe a minute before you want the alarm to go off?). Then you can change it back afterwards with a batch script (see here: http://www.microsoftnow.com/2013/05/creating-a-shortcut-to-change-the-default-audio-device-in-windows.html).

as to your pi, what is running raspian?  if any sort of linux this would be a simple cron job to run something at any specific time be it sound file, whatever.  Were you not playing with cron earlier... Or did a squirrel run by your window? ;)

Don't you have a phone?  Set your alarm on your phone!!  If you have a hard time waking up - go to bed ealier, or drink a lot of water!!!  You will for sure get up or have a wet bed one of the two ;) 

• Like 2

I know this is not what you asked, but I use Sleep as Android on my phone. I love it. There are many options, like doing some simple mathematics equations, shaking your phone until a bar fills up, putting a QR code somewhere in your house (like the roof in your kitchen) which means you have to get up out of bed to turn it off and probably a few others.

There are a ton online. I used one years ago, it used to be called Naked Alarm Clock. It goes by Online Alarm Clock now, heh. There is also one here, here, and here.

QR code you have to scan - that is nice idea!! Other side of the house = yeah you have to be awake to turn off the alarm..  Nice idea!!! Or guess you could just destroy the phone ;)

I have my phone going off in 10 minute increments for 40 minutes to get me out of bed....if you have that hard of a time put your phone on a dresser or in another room and have it connected to a bluetooth speaker.  Make sure the phone is set as loud as it can go.  If you put the speaker by you, and you turn it off or ignore it your phone will still be going off in the other room and the only way to turn it off is to either be late to work which no matter what alarm you will have will not solve that issue, or get up and turn it off.  You will need to hear it to be annoying enough but far enough to not have it close enough to completely turn it off.    Having it go off ever 10 minutes will be sure that you don't just hit the snooze button or shut it off. 

dude all I am saying is this should prob be your sig

bdsig.gif

Or maybe this one would be good

bdsigg.gif

I don't mean it in a bad way, its just hard to keep you focused on anything for more than like 30 seconds.

On 8/1/2016 at 9:35 AM, BudMan said:

as to your pi, what is running raspian?  if any sort of linux this would be a simple cron job to run something at any specific time be it sound file, whatever.  Were you not playing with cron earlier... Or did a squirrel run by your window? ;)

Don't you have a phone?  Set your alarm on your phone!!  If you have a hard time waking up - go to bed ealier, or drink a lot of water!!!  You will for sure get up or have a wet bed one of the two ;) 

My Raspberry Pi isn't working atm, one of my brothers friends decided to help himself to my 32GB MicroSD. So, I'm waiting till the end of the month to get a new one. I thought about using that for an alarm clock, with a simple 7" touch Screen on it to turn off or on the alarm. I was looking at cronjobs but I lost my job and switched gears. I'm focusing on work now, until I've been there for a month. I've got 7 weeks left on my school term, and I need to bust my last few classes out.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:11 PM, BudMan said:

QR code you have to scan - that is nice idea!! Other side of the house = yeah you have to be awake to turn off the alarm..  Nice idea!!! Or guess you could just destroy the phone ;)

I'd pull the battery, haha. Nice idea.

On 8/1/2016 at 3:13 PM, sc302 said:

I have my phone going off in 10 minute increments for 40 minutes to get me out of bed....if you have that hard of a time put your phone on a dresser or in another room and have it connected to a bluetooth speaker.  Make sure the phone is set as loud as it can go.  If you put the speaker by you, and you turn it off or ignore it your phone will still be going off in the other room and the only way to turn it off is to either be late to work which no matter what alarm you will have will not solve that issue, or get up and turn it off.  You will need to hear it to be annoying enough but far enough to not have it close enough to completely turn it off.    Having it go off ever 10 minutes will be sure that you don't just hit the snooze button or shut it off. 

I have mine in 15 minute intervals, 6:45am, 7am, 7:15am. 6:45 is the wake up, 7 is get out of bed and shower. I should be showered and dressed by 7:15, then 15 minutes for breakfast making + eating, and then 15 minutes to make and pack lunch. 7:45AM i'm out the door by 7:45am. Clock in at 8AM. My life is a set schedule and I hate it lol.

On 8/2/2016 at 10:21 AM, BudMan said:

dude all I am saying is this should prob be your sig

bdsig.gif

Or maybe this one would be good

bdsigg.gif

I don't mean it in a bad way, its just hard to keep you focused on anything for more than like 30 seconds.

Lol, got a good chuckle. You're right though, I do lose interest way too fast and that's probably because I don't understand something, and I find it frustrating to spend hours searching Google and nothing gives me the answer I want. I've been trying to use Neowin less and less for things.

I figured a good project for me would be to design and code a simple alarm clock, and for fun, port it to Linux. It would be pretty sweet to use the Raspberry Pi for an alarm clock. It's part of my original goal of building a small Raspberry Pi network.

there are plenty of these projects already documented..  Here is one that reads out weather and news and bitcoin price, etc..

Yes, I could easily do this, and follow someone elses guide but where's the fun in that? Forcing myself to learn something new is a better experience, is it not? There is more I want to do with the Raspberry Pi than just the Alarm Clock, Weather, and what not. I'd love to have it control the lights in my room, I originally wanted air conditioning controls but my AC is so old, I'd rather not screw with it. Haha. Plus, I don't own this house.

Anyways, I'll watch this, and use my Pi 1 for it, since I've got a 16GB SD card for it.