Xbox One S (All Models) - General Discussion

16 hours ago, LostCat said:

That basically describes almost every TV and monitor maker these days.

Hardly. Samsung & LG make their own panels and supply a lot of other high end companies with them for example.

19 minutes ago, PeterTHX said:

Hardly. Samsung & LG make their own panels and supply a lot of other high end companies with them for example.

You say hardly and yet end up saying exactly what I did.

Samsung LG and a few other panel makers supply pretty much everyone.  And last I heard Samsung sold off their display business recently.

Hence, almost everyone.

Just got off the phone with Vizio support.
Went way better than I thought it would.
They actually said they have gotten a few reports of the same issue with my model and the XBox One S, but with their very limited internal tests since the S just came out, it is working on the same model in their tests.

So The bad news is they do believe there may be something wrong with my TV itself.

Add in the fact on a few other forums I have posted on people with the same exact model (and size) as me, 2 people are having the issue, 4 people claim they are not having the issue, and it looks like there indeed may be some suspect quality control on Vizio's end. 
The good news is they are replacing my set for free.
So fingers crossed I get one of the sets that does in fact work. I will know within 7 to 10 business days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

Just got off the phone with Vizio support.
Went way better than I thought it would.
They actually said they have gotten a few reports of the same issue with my model and the XBox One S, but with their very limited internal tests since the S just came out, it is working on the same model in their tests.

So The bad news is they do believe there may be something wrong with my TV itself.

Add in the fact on a few other forums I have posted on people with the same exact model (and size) as me, 2 people are having the issue, 4 people claim they are not having the issue, and it looks like there indeed may be some suspect quality control on Vizio's end. 
The good news is they are replacing my set for free.
So fingers crossed I get one of the sets that does in fact work. I will know within 7 to 10 business days.

Definite good news (Y) Impressive admitting fault and willing to fix on something they could of easily blamed on the xbox. 

7 hours ago, LostCat said:

You say hardly and yet end up saying exactly what I did.

Samsung LG and a few other panel makers supply pretty much everyone.  And last I heard Samsung sold off their display business recently.

Hence, almost everyone.

Still not the same thing.

Vizio constantly changes suppliers. "Brand X" is more like it.

On 8/16/2016 at 1:12 AM, Vandalsquad said:

Definite good news (Y) Impressive admitting fault and willing to fix on something they could of easily blamed on the xbox. 

Yeah, I have to say I was shocked. I was on the phone for maybe 15 minutes total. I got off and my wife was "do I just hear that right, they are replacing the TV just like that?" Definitely did not expect it to be so pleasant or easy. I think it helped I definitely took the time to calmly articulate everything I had tried on my end already. I also think it being a relatively new system helped a lot as well. The rep straight out said they had not had the time to do the testing internally they normally would.

With that said, it is taking a little bit longer than expected. I just got the email this morning asking me to schedule my shipment day. The first available day they had was September 1st.  So that is actually 12 business days, 16 days total.

So I will know in about a week and a half if it is fixed or not. I have already been looking up potential replacement sets in the meantime. Problem with these HDR sets is they can get pretty expensive pretty quickly. One thing I do know is I took a chance on Vizio as at the time as I wanted a 4K set, the price was right and it was actually being very well reviewed.  However the reason I purchased it (4K) is the one thing that does not actual work as it should, so I am pretty sure I will never get another Vizio set again. Fingers crossed it does work with the replacement, but I am no doubt a pessimist and already preparing for the fact it will not be fixed.

One thing I keep reading about the Vizio is the speed of the HDMI 2.0 port itself.  Even though it is HDMI 2.0 the bandwidth is apparently only 10 Gbps and should be able to support 18 Gbps which it does not. People that know more than I do claim that is probably the cause of the issue. So if that is the case, it really does not matter what replacement set I get.

On 03/08/2016 at 0:18 AM, xendrome said:

So let me start this off. Life of Pi on 4K UHD with HDR looks great, Glad I waited for this instead of sinking $399 on just a Samsung UHD player.

Anyway, I don't want Kinect, so I am selling it with my old Xbox One Day one Edition. But, I really want to use voice commands without a headset. Anyone seen any solution out there, will a USB mic work?

Life of Pi was the first HDR film I watched on my 4K TV as well :D (although not with the Xbox One S) and yeah HDR is awesome. Personally I think HDR is a bigger deal than 4K. It really adds to the experience overall rather than just being a tiny bit sharper (which you don't notice when sitting 8' from the screen, unless you have 80" TV). 

I hope the PS 4 Neo has HDR as I want me some HDR gaming!! If not then I will be picking up a Xbox One S :yes: 

• DrunknMunky unpinned and featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally forgot to post a reply, but my replacement set from Vizio did in fact fix the issue I was having.
It had a completely different firmware and version even though it was the same model, so I believe it was manufactured later on than my original set.

Original TV

Version 1.3.15-UHD

FRC Version 9.406

New TV

Version 1.3.26-UHD

FRC Version 9.415

So yeah, I am a happy camper. I can use 4K on my One S with no issues.
I will get an HDR set next year once they drop in price and there are more options, etc.

4 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

I totally forgot to post a reply, but my replacement set from Vizio did in fact fix the issue I was having.
It had a completely different firmware and version even though it was the same model, so I believe it was manufactured later on than my original set.

Original TV

Version 1.3.15-UHD

FRC Version 9.406

New TV

Version 1.3.26-UHD

FRC Version 9.415

So yeah, I am a happy camper. I can use 4K on my One S with no issues.
I will get an HDR set next year once they drop in price and there are more options, etc.

There was no way to update the TV on your end?  I figured all these newer 4k models would have some sort of firmware upgrade ability, but maybe it's only for select "smart" TVs?

On 9/18/2016 at 2:41 PM, George P said:

There was no way to update the TV on your end?  I figured all these newer 4k models would have some sort of firmware upgrade ability, but maybe it's only for select "smart" TVs?

I did have the latest firmware for my specific revision. Even though both sets are the M65C1 there are different revisions of the model hence different firmware. Basically there was something off with my revision of this model and it was manufactured prior to the replacement I got. So it did not matter what firmware I had at the end of the day, it was a component not acting as it should. Rumor on other forums I found while researching the issue was the components they used for the HDMI 2.0 Port. Apparently it should support a specific Gbps throughput but for some reason the model I had it was not supporting that throughput. That is why the video kept blacking out and not the audio. Or so people were guessing.

With that said Vizio's have the worst firmware upgrade in the world and only do so automatically. No way to force it an no where to download it to do it manually. But mine was actually updating itself as it should. Vizio support confirmed I had the firmware I should have.

• 1 year later...

Okay - trying to decide between S and X with one of three HDTV upgrades in the plans.  All are Samsung, and all are 4K. 40M6290FXZA, 40M6300FXZA, and 40M7000FXZA (from cheapest to priciest).  Problem - other than the console itself, there will be NO 4K or HDR-ready  content feeding the TV for at least six months (my existing FireTV stick would have to be replaced with the 4K model - a hardware upgrade).  Other than Sea of Thieves, there are a grand total of two games that I have interest in at all - Burnout Paradise: Remastered (I play the PC version today)  and DC Universe Online (again, something I play on PC today).  Are any of those games (or any of the Forza games) 4K ONLY on the X (but not on the S)?

28 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Are any of those games (or any of the Forza games) 4K ONLY on the X (but not on the S)?

If I recall correctly everything on S upscales to 4K, but it's never going to be above 1080p for the game content.

2 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

If I recall correctly everything on S upscales to 4K, but it's never going to be above 1080p for the game content.

So basically the only way to get true 4K content is to go X.  Okay.

S is good if all you care about is 4k movies/videos, and the X if you want to jump into better gaming.  I got the X because it's connected to a 4k/HDR TV, and we're getting more and more 4k X enhanced games, so it makes it worth it.