When a New Member Joins

When a New member Joins Neowin is it all that hard for someone to welcome him? This is what is done on most if not all forums. It does not take that much effort..:)

9 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

When a New member Joins Neowin is it all that hard for someone to welcome him? This is what is done on most if not all forums. It does not take that much effort..:)

Are you suggesting that people message anyone that signs up? Because that doesn't happen on 'most if not all forums'.

You mean automated personal messages, generated by the forum with some guideline and rules links, when some newcomer joins?

3 minutes ago, Zlip792 said:

You mean automated personal messages, generated by the forum with some guideline and rules links, when some newcomer joins?

I suggest they make the first forum rule to post one here:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Hi, Gary7. I'm sorry to hear that no-one welcomed you here.

I hope you will still enjoy your stay here, even after the rocky start. :p

ah good point

OH HAIIIIII DER GARY 

ohhaider_zpsb8fdd219.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

ah good point

OH HAIIIIII DER GARY 

ohhaider_zpsb8fdd219.jpg

Good job! Gary will be as happy as a cat when he sees that we are welcoming him properly: 

VgefYn5.gif

• Like 3

Because a lot of newcomers are just spam bot accounts why should I bother welcoming those?  The pattern never changes.

Genuine accounts would at least log in a few times since signing up, and ask a question, or offer some advice.

I am new to this forum. I am not agreeing  with the very first statement about welcoming of new user to Neowin forum. This forum is pretty good for sharing ideas and knowledge among each other. Hope everybody would have noticed the welcome message in their mail boxes. I have received one.

Thanks 

Capture.PNG

14 hours ago, Gary7 said:

So will you do this for everyone from now on please? How hard would that be for you? :s

9 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Because a lot of newcomers are just spam bot accounts why should I bother welcoming those?  The pattern never changes.

Genuine accounts would at least log in a few times since signing up, and ask a question, or offer some advice.

Not to mention the fact that some will only post an introduction thread & leave the next day. Never to be seen again.

• Like 1

@Gary7I'm nominating you to be our personal welcomer. Please pay close attention to the "newest member" section at the bottom of the forum index so that you can send them a welcome PM when they sign up. :p

More seriously, what were you thinking? An actual personal message from someone, or were you just looking for more people to respond to threads in the "Introduce Yourself" forum?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

@Gary7I'm nominating you to be our personal welcomer. Please pay close attention to the "newest member" section at the bottom of the forum index so that you can send them a welcome PM when they sign up. :p

More seriously, what were you thinking? An actual personal message from someone, or were you just looking for more people to respond to threads in the "Introduce Yourself" forum?

I'm thinking the latter, I used to like welcoming new members, but when the members I was welcoming either never logged back in, or turned out to be not accounts, I decided not to bother anymore.

• Like 3

If I missed it, and I try not to. Welcome Gary7!!!!  I changed my notifications to receive an e-mail when new members post in Introduce yourself. Now It's my fault if I fail to welcome! :)

If i see one in the sidebar that pops up and looks genuine, then yeah, I'll say my hello but in general I either don;t see them (I'm not going to sit on the welcome forum waiting like some sort of friendless urchin, i do enough of that irl!) or it's obvious they wont be back.

17 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I used to like welcoming new members, but when the members I was welcoming either never logged back in, or turned out to be not accounts, I decided not to bother anymore.

Imagine a situation.

You join a new forum, say "hi", and the evil overlord is among the first to greet you. Would you stay? :D 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Imagine a situation.

You join a new forum, say "hi", and the evil overlord is among the first to greet you. Would you stay? :D 

Of course

Evil Overlord Approved :p 

• Like 2

My intent with posting this was to just have anyone welcome new members. I happen to see an introduction by a new member 24 or so hours after that member posted with anyone posting a welcome. That was all.

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

My intent with posting this was to just have anyone welcome new members. I happen to see an introduction by a new member 24 or so hours after that member posted with anyone posting a welcome. That was all.

And we appreciate your concern and thoughtfulness.    (Y)

• Like 2