Cooking Thread: share your best recipes

I usually eat Salmon for lunch due to my intestinal surgeries. its soft, easy to digest and tastes pretty good. I use several seasonings, not all at once but usually I use;

1 or 2 salmon fillet sections

1. Cedar Plank salmon seasoning & garlic salt (to taste). But I use a light sprinkling of it

and/or

2. fine or coarse ground malabar black pepper

and/or

3. Onion and Herb Mrs. Dash (non salt seasoning)

and/or

4. Lawry's California season salt.

I bake it for about 15-20 minutes in an oven or 25-30 in my special cooker to get a nice crisp edge. I'll try to post a picture ASAP of my seasonings.

You get yourself a Porterhouse Steak as shown below Marinate it with a mixture of Italian Dressing and Jack Daniels overnight then salt and pepper and place it on a grill till it is done.

porterhouse-steak-e1467171562704.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

You get yourself a Porterhouse Steak as shown below Marinate it with a mixture of Italian Dressing and Jack Daniels overnight then salt and pepper and place it on a grill till it is done.

porterhouse-steak-e1467171562704.jpg

Trick: take kosher salt and liberally cover with salt on both sides. refrigerate 1 hour for every inch of thickness ( 1.5 inches = 1.5 hours). wash off salt and cook to desired style. salt will tenderize the steak and if you do this to even the WORST cut of beef, it will turn out like the best cut of beef. the salt breaks down the proteins and takes away the toughness in bad cuts of beef. (you can use this technique on ANY cut of beef)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Vegetarian MUST DO recipe:

Ingredients: 

2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 yellow onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger

4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, with their juice

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped

Method: 

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, cardamom, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add lentils, broth, tomatoes, cilantro, turmeric, salt and jalapeño and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer, stirring often, until lentils are soft, about 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Slow roast pork ribs with smoked paprika (substitute for liquid smoke, hate that stuff) and tony chacheres chilli. Bonus: trying to make sweet potatoe chips:

qygklqx.jpg

yzWu1ZF.jpg

c0Rb4Ti.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Slow roast pork ribs with smoked paprika (substitute for liquid smoke, hate that stuff) and tony chacheres chilli. Bonus: trying to make sweet potatoe chips:

I'll give this a go at the weekend I think. Can't be bothered to do that after a day at work!

4 minutes ago, John. said:

I'll give this a go at the weekend I think. Can't be bothered to do that after a day at work!

I just slip it in the oven and go to work, come back, magically done.

• Like 2

Instant noodles "Chicken" flavouring (included)

3 Pints of water

Break noodle block into 1/4 and add to the water
Bring water to the boil, add noodles and "flavour" then simmer until the water is gone.

Meanwhile...

3 large free range eggs

Splash of milk

Knob of butter

Salt

Pepper

Mix them up then scramble in a non-stick pan until bouncy. 

Add the scrambled eggs to the instant noodles, and mix gently.

Stand back and marvel at your creation.

Spend the night begging your gut, ####hole and significant other for forgiveness.

LoZ-The-Wind-Maker.jpg

4 minutes ago, FiB3R said:

Instant noodles "Chicken" flavouring (included)

3 Pints of water

Break noodle block into 1/4 and add to the water
Bring water to the boil, add noodles and "flavour" then simmer until the water is gone.

Meanwhile...

3 large free range eggs

Splash of milk

Knob of butter

Salt

Pepper

Mix them up then scramble in a non-stick pan until bouncy. 

Add the scrambled eggs to the instant noodles, and mix gently.

Stand back and marvel at your creation.

Spend the night begging your gut, ####hole and significant other for forgiveness.

LoZ-The-Wind-Maker.jpg

Looks yummy! Protein on carbs! this is sorta like a no meat version/asian of Pasta Carbonara: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Looks yummy! Protein on carbs! this is sorta like a no meat version/asian of Pasta Carbonara: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html

Ha!, that looks a lot easier on the stomach :laugh:

I also drank this with it, rather than a nice glass of sauvignon blanc

Xmas-Ale.jpgXmas-Ale-Back.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

darkside lover !

Darkside noob, tbh.

I've been trying random bottles here and there over the last year, and they have always gone down pretty well.

This stuff was particularly nice, actually. I even went back and got some more :) 

P.S. Can't edit my first post, but it's supposed to be 300ml of water, not 3 pints. Not that I'm actually offering up genuine cooking instructions for instant noodles. :rofl:

Edited by FiB3R
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pan Seared Oven Roasted Pork Loin Roast

Pat roast dry and season with whatever dry spices you prefer, let sit at least a couple of hours (overnight is better) in the fridge in a air tight container. I like McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning

Also I use about half of a whole loin roast (about 8-10”)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Heat about a Tbl spoon of oil on the stove top in a cast iron skillet and sear all sides of roast including the ends

Put skillet in preheated oven for about 20 minutes per Lb, turning roast every 10 minutes on each side/ends

Cook until internal temp reaches 145-150 degrees (about an hour and 20-30mins)

Remove from oven and let rest 15-20 minutes

Slices should be no thicker than ¼ inch, serve and enjoy!

100_0922.JPG