Editing text in Paint.net after I have added it?

Question

I have opened a PNG image.

I want to add text to it.

I have created a second layer and put my text on there.

How can I now edit this text after I've entered it?

It just doesn't seem possible. The text is completely un-editable.

8 answers to this question

With Paint.Net this is not possible unless you use the cut tool to copy the text area then cut it and use the color select tool to get the correct color, use the paint bucket tool and fill the cut away area with the color and then start over again. The only way that I know of to edit text is to do it before you save the image.

He means in edit mode using layers, afaik once you have stopped typing and selected outside of that text, you can no longer go back and edit the text :( Font type and size/bold etc should still work though if you are still in the 'text tool' (I use this program too).

6 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

With Paint.Net this is not possible unless you use the cut tool to copy the text area then cut it and use the color select tool to get the correct color, use the paint bucket tool and fill the cut away area with the color and then start over again. The only way that I know of to edit text is to do it before you save the image.

I don't think I was clear enough.

I have some plain text copied into Windows' clipboard.

I open a PNG in Paint.net.

I create a new layer.

I paste the clipboard text into this layer.

I can not select any of the text to change the color, font etc.

And if I click away from the text, I can't re-edit the text after, even if I'm on the correct layer.

I know it's free but this is no Photoshop, it is? :p

You won't need to select the text to change its values, so long as you are on that layer and still have the text tool selected (not the text itself) but I do not know of a way to edit the text once you have clicked out of the text box input.

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

You won't need to select the text to change its values, so long as you are on that layer and still have the text tool selected (not the text itself) but I do not know of a way to edit the text once you have clicked out of the text box input.

I can't even find a way to center the text :/

I'm acquiring Photoshop instead. Not impressed with the basic functionality of Paint.net :(

Just now, Elliot B. said:

I can't even find a way to center the text :/

I'm acquiring Photoshop instead. Not impressed with the basic functionality of Paint.net :(

Are you using the latest version? I have used this for years and it is by far the best free Paint App out there. You have to have the right plug-ins though. It is not as good as Photoshop as nothing is.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

Are you using the latest version? I have used this for years and it is by far the best free Paint App out there. You have to have the right plug-ins though. It is not as good as Photoshop as nothing is.

I am.

You could be right but for most features for text, it seems abysmal.

Even Simon Brown's Editable Text plugin is basic.