Bungling Microsoft singlehandedly proves that golden backdoor keys are a terrible idea

10 Aug 2016 at 06:56, Chris Williams

Bungling Microsoft singlehandedly proves that golden backdoor keys are a terrible idea

Updated

Microsoft leaked the golden keys that unlock Windows-powered tablets, phones and other devices sealed by Secure Boot – and is now scrambling to undo the blunder.

These skeleton keys can be used to install non-Redmond operating systems on locked-down computers. In other words, on devices that do not allow you to disable Secure Boot even if you have administrator rights – such as ARM-based Windows RT tablets – it is now possible to sidestep this block and run, say, GNU/Linux or Android.

What's more, it is believed it will be impossible for Microsoft to fully revoke the leaked keys.

And perhaps most importantly: it is a reminder that demands by politicians and crimefighters for special keys, which can be used by investigators to unlock devices in criminal cases, will inevitably jeopardize the security of everyone.

Microsoft's misstep was uncovered by two researchers, MY123 and Slipstream, who documented their findings here in a demoscene-themed writeup published on Tuesday. Slip believes Microsoft will find it impossible to undo its leak.

Continues...

Edited by Andrew

2 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

TLDR for this?

It is not even formatted properly. Further, I thought that one is not allowed to post entire articles.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2016 at 1:10 AM, Draconian Guppy said:

TLDR for this?

I believe its MS accidentally released keys for devices with SecureBoot, enabling other Operating Systems to be installed. They are trying to undo the mistake.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2016 at 11:14 PM, Ian W said:

It is not even formatted properly. Further, I thought that one is not allowed to post entire articles.

You're not. He's been told this several times, too.

OP Updated, moved and formatted.

If you plan on posting news that is from other sources or news sites, please keep the following in mind:

1) Please do not post entire articles from other sources. Most news organizations prohibit copy & pasting of their entire article.
It is against the "fair usage" policy set by most news outlets. They expect a paragraph posted, at most, with a link to their article's web page.