Just got a PS3. Uncharted 3 before 1 & 2 fine, or no?

I've always been a PC gamer, but I had the first two PlayStations. When I got married and my wife said she needed a console to play Rockband on, I wanted to say PS3, but I said Xbox 360 because that's what her brother and friends play on. (And for Rockband that ended up being the better choice. Though I still regret it.) Now we've been wanting a Blu-ray player, and I just got a sweet deal on a PS3 from a good friend. $150 for the system (original size model, but it has a 120 or 150GB hard drive) and ten games. Mostly shooters I don't care about, but Saints Row 3 and GTA V. So we went out and got some used games. The Last of Us of course. The only Uncharted I could get was 3.

So my question is... is it okay to jump into Uncharted 3? Or will I be overly spoiled by 3 that I won't be able to enjoy the first two? Or will 3 irreparably spoil events in the first two? Uncharted was the series I was looking forward to the most on PS3, but The Last of Us looks really good, and there are others. (I even got Skyrim (Legendary, of course), even though I 100%'d it on both Xbox 360 and PC/Steam).

Also... any great PS3 exclusives I might be overlooking? I like games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Deus Ex, the new Tomb Raider games, stuff like that. I have been overlooking the Metal Gear Solid series... of course that started on PS1 and I played the first one, and the original Metal Gear on the NES, so that's old school... Definitely getting back into that one.

Good call on The Last of Us. That is a must play, in my book. Also check out Spec Ops: The Line. It's a third-person shooter, but the story is great.

I played Uncharted as it came with my PS3, and it was great. For some reason I never got round to playing the other games in the series until now; I'm playing through 2 at the moment. What I would say is that it's not essential to play the previous games, but there will be references to the previous games. It won't ruin 3 for you, and 3 won't ruin the previous games if you choose to play them afterwards, but for the sake of investing in characters and their relationships I would personally recommend that you play them in order.

I've just realised something. I think Naughty Dog are one of my favourite developers around. Their games are just incredible.

15 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Also... any great PS3 exclusives I might be overlooking? I like games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Deus Ex, the new Tomb Raider games, stuff like that. I have been overlooking the Metal Gear Solid series... of course that started on PS1 and I played the first one, and the original Metal Gear on the NES, so that's old school... Definitely getting back into that one.

Demon Souls.

You should be fine to play Uncharted 3 without playing the first two (but if you find them, do get them!). Each game is essentially a contained story arc. There is very little joining them together that would prevent you being able to fully enjoy it. I really liked Metal Gear Solid 4 and if you don't mind 20+ hours of cutscenes well worth getting and the previous Metal Gear Solids (2 and 3 have HD remakes and include the classic Metal Gear games too) are available on the system. You really are spoiled for choice on the PS3. The X360 was a good system too and had some great games, but I found the PS3 just had a much larger volume of titles to choose from (that I liked at least) and found myself playing my PS3 far more than my X360. 

2 is also great. Probably my favorite. Even though 3  was supposed to be better.

I did not like 1 much at all. Then i played 2. Loved it. It made me come back and play 1 because i wanted more uncharted. I enjoyed it more and finished it.

So you should be fine. Each game is a good story. Playing out of order is not huge deal since you can enjoy then independently 

Thanks for the replies, folks.

My PC eats PS4s and XB1s for breakfast, and 360 and PS3 are like mid-day snacks for it. So a game like Spec Ops: The Line that is also on PC, I'll probably play there. More interested in the PS3 exclusives. Really regret getting a 360 first. Though now I've had both, I have to say the 360's OS is a bit more streamlined. Like for example selecting a Wi-Fi network, it kept wanting me to edit the SSID. No other Wi-Fi connecting tool on any OS does that. I had to Google how to move forward. Press right, it said. Oh shoot, I didn't even see the little arrow on the right side of the screen. And making a new user. First you have to make a new local account, and then sign up for PSN (though, that seems less necessary than XBL on the 360). And then it doesn't fill in your local account's name. Though, I didn't think of this at the time, I suppose the local account name could be your given (first) name and thus not related to the PSN account name. See, on 360/XBL, they had to be the same. And that's how the seller was, too. (Oh, and I had to sign in as him to delete his account from the system.) So it's a bit weird. Oh, and we couldn't get it to work on our 720p TV. Works just fine on the living room, 1080p set. I'm sure PS3 is capable of 720p, but why it didn't work escapes me.

Pretty much just interested in exclusives. PS3 has more than I care about than 360. I thought I'd be more into the Fable games, since they're billed as RPGs, but they're really just fantasy themed beat-em-ups. Halo — not big on FPS games anymore, and they're more of the 'wave shooter' type that I never liked. Now, Crackdown is amazing fun if you ever get a chance to play it. Unfortunately 360 only. It is to GTA what Saints Row is to GTA, but it goes in a different direction. Kind of like Saints Row IV with the super powers, but it's more of a comic book/graphic novel style. Honestly one of the most fun games I've played. Second one was gutter trash, though. Oh, and Shadow Complex, which was a modern-day take on Super Metroid that author Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game author) was somehow involved with. But, that's on PC now. so it's no longer a 360 exclusive.

I tried one of the Dark Souls games. From Software can take a flying leap with those games. I will admit it's me — I'm not worthy. And that's fine. I'm not such a casual gamer that I'm playing Candy Crush on my iPhone and FarmVille on Facebook (though I do play Subway Surfers on my iPhone...), I'm too casual for Demon's/Dark Souls. I guess I like games that are fun, and reward exploration. If a game explicitly punishes the player for noncompliance, I'll quit before I comply. I like figuring out ways to out-think the game, not walk a fine line with failure on both sides. Even if the game is too easy — see the last few Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, all the Deus Ex games, the last few Saints Row games, the last couple Tomb Raiders, etc. — I'll enjoy it more than a serious challenge.

Yeah most PS3 games run at 720 (or so) so unsure why it wouldn't connect to that TV.  There's only a handful of games that are 1080.

Anyway, grab Little Big Planet to play with the wifey.

The only thing that U3 will actually spoil is the relationship between Nate and Elena -- it's kind of cool to watch it develop over three games.  2 is the best of the bunch as well.  You can get a dual-pack of 1 and 2.

MGS4 and God of War 3 are probably my other two favorite PS3 exclusives besides The Last of Us.  Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are solid.  inFamous 1 and 2 can be a blast, and Killzone 2 is good if you like shooters, although it's not up everyone's alley if you like CoD-type fast paced action.