Windows 10, 14901 can't select to restore to earlier build or "Reset this PC"

With one tablet computer I have, If I go to Settings and then to Recovery, I can't do anything.

"Reset this PC" has a gray bar under it, but nothing I can click.

"Go back to an earlier build" has a gray bar and nothing I can click.

"Advanced Startup" is the same, with a gray bar and nothing clickable.

Are there command line / power shell options I can type in?

Tried logging in as another user with Admin privileges and that didn't work.

Went in to "Update History" and clicked on "Recovery Options" and the window closed.

"The program can't start because LockdownUtil.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Oh, sheesh.

I can't take control over the Win Insider thing now, and would re-install it if Windows would let me recover.....

Edited by mister babadook

I feel bad for you man. You have got to have the worst luck when it comes to installing Windows. I don't have any good suggestions but just wanted to show that I empathize. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I feel bad for you man. You have got to have the worst luck when it comes to installing Windows. I don't have any good suggestions but just wanted to show that I empathize. 

Thanks for the empathy. ;)

I really don't get it.

One desktop updated just fine. This is the desktop I'm using now.

One laptop updated fine, too. It's sitting next to me, but doing nothing in particular.

One tablet is stuck on this thing I'm posting about.

One tablet has been stuck for hours and hasn't updated... but it's at 100% downloaded. ;)  :s

One other desktop doesn't see the update.

One laptop doesn't see the update either.

... and I haven't powered up the other laptops yet.....

I just had some fun and rolled that tablet back to 1511... and now the insider prompts are:
"th2-release"

"rs1-release"

"RS_PRERELEASE"

(capitalization not added by me... that is what the text said).

hmm....

Microsoft left a file out of Windows 10 Home.  The solution is explained at: http://preview.tinyurl.com/jnzcsrc

If you have x64bit home - you need to copy x64bit pro version - c:\windows\system32\LockdownUtil.dll (size 13kb)

If you have x32bit home - you need to copy x32bit pro version - c:\windows\system32\LockdownUtil.dll (size 10kb)

You must have the Pro version of build 14901 running on one of your devices to find and copy the file.  Just drop it into the target folder on Home.  It is not in any earlier builds, preview or otherwise.  Remember, the file you need is in Pro and you need to copy it to Home.

There is no other procedure available until Microsoft acts.  It is unknown whether you will need to reinstall 14393 to go forward again if you cannot obtain the file.  It is a dll file so it cannot be attached to a forum post or I would donate.

Edited by Cbarnhorst
corrections

First thing, do you have the Windows.old folder in your "C" drive? If not then you cannot roll back to the previous build. Now, if you cannot reset your PC then that is because your PC doesn't have the setup files. Also, if you download from Cbarnhorst's links then you will have to change your PC's BIOS to boot from legacy devices and turn off UEFI secure boot. If you don't have UEFI BIOS then don't worry about and proceed with downloading from Cbarnhorst's links. If you have UEFI BIOS then In order to allow your computer to stay in UEFI secure boot mode then you will need to go to this Microsoft address below and choose the second option and make sure you have it create USB storage Boot media (it will not work if you have it create ISO's). The below link will be the Anniversary update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thanks to everyone. :)

As I mentioned, I reinstalled 1511 on the tablet. I used the media creation tool and it surprisingly downloaded 1511 and not AU.

It installed several updates to 1511, but the AU update isn't showing. :(
Oh well. Maybe it will soon.

20 minutes ago, mister babadook said:

Thanks to everyone. :)

As I mentioned, I reinstalled 1511 on the tablet. I used the media creation tool and it surprisingly downloaded 1511 and not AU.

It installed several updates to 1511, but the AU update isn't showing. :(
Oh well. Maybe it will soon.

Did you download the Media Creation Tool or did you use an old copy you already had downloaded? The current copy does install the AU

Seems the lack of "roll back" is limited to that one tablet. I don't have the same issue with it on two laptops and one desktop; haven't explored much on the other computers as of yet.

Rolling back is working fine on a 2005 era AMD Athlon X2 laptop, but the 2 year old tablet borks... won't even show the buttons to roll back to a previous build, the on-screen keyboard won't let me do much with key combos, and the "Settings" app crashes when I go to Devices and such.

I'm not giving up, but I am going to whine, whimper and complain to anyone that will listen. ;)