Ryan Lochte, 3 other U.S. swimmers robbed at Rio Olympics

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (CNN) --- Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte and three other U.S. swimmers were safe and cooperating with police Sunday after being robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro, the U.S. Olympic Committee said. One of the bandits reportedly put a gun to Lochte's forehead.

Lochte and fellow swimmers Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen had left a hospitality house hosted by France early Sunday morning in a taxi bound for the Olympic Village.

The vehicle was "stopped by individuals posing as armed police officers who demanded the athletes' money and other personal belongings," said USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky.

Appearing on NBC, Lochte offered chilling details.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte told NBC. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, "Get down," and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."

[...]

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/14/sport/us-swimmers-ryan-lochte-robbed-rio-olympics/index.html

Athletes concerned about their safety, should never leave the Olympic Village, period. I know, doesn't sound fun, however, safety first.

5 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Athletes concerned about their safety, should never leave the Olympic Village, period. I know, doesn't sound fun, however, safety first.

And what about all the other tourists who are visiting the country?

7 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

They should know that they are visiting a ###### hole.

8 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

You mean the regular folks? These athletes are under heavy watch from thieves. When they move outside of the security blanket, I am sure the word is passed around quickly.

4 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

They should know that they are visiting a ###### hole.

Exactly, the travel advisory/warning against visiting Rio are still haven't been revoked in most places.

6 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

They get robbed also.  In Brazil, particularly Rio criminals rob all people equally well tourists get targeted more often than locals.

6 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

Police Say Ryan Lochte Lied About Gunpoint Assault

RIO DE JANEIRO — The American swimmers who claimed that they were assaulted at gunpoint over the weekend by assailants posing as police officers fabricated their account of the episode, according to Brazilian investigators.

Using video footage and testimony from witnesses, Brazilian police have determined that the incident involved damage to a bathroom door at a gas station where the swimmers stopped in the early hours of Sunday on the way back from a party to the Athletes’ Village.

“Unfortunately, the swimmers told one lie after another,” said a Brazilian police official who had reviewed the video images. He declined to be identified because the investigation is ongoing. “We’ve been able to determine that there was no armed assault.”

The case made global headlines after the gold medalists Ryan Lochte claimed that men posing as police officers had pulled over their taxi, and that an assailant had put a cocked gun to his forehead before taking his money. He later altered his account, saying the taxi stopped at a gas station so they could use the bathroom.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/sports/olympics/police-say-ryan-lochte-lied-about-gunpoint-assault.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

They were drunk and became aggressive on a bathroom door then were confronted by a security guard.

We were pulled over ....no wait we stopped at a gas station...no wait that bathroom door was up to no good.