Cannot Connect Through SSH on VPN

I know I am overlooking something obvious and silly, but here is the issue. On my router I have followed this guide to connect me to Private Internet Access. When it is on, I cannot establish an SSH connection to the router because apparently it cannot be routed through the VPN. I thought using the same port PIA is using for my SSH connection would allow it to work, but it does not. Basically it asks for a username/password when my SSH only uses a username and private key. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Are you trying to hit your routers public IP or private IP? 

Did you uncheck

Uncheck Redirect Internet Traffic

It shouldn't be sending local traffic out the vpn.. Especially traffic to your routers lan IP..

10 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Are you trying to hit your routers public IP or private IP? 

Did you uncheck

Uncheck Redirect Internet Traffic

It shouldn't be sending local traffic out the vpn.. Especially traffic to your routers lan IP..

Indeed, it is unchecked. I am trying to hit my DuckDNS address which just points to my router.

hIu02l2.png

rQv4Zu7.png

I just hid the server address, username and password. It is there though.

Why would you be doing that from the inside???  That is completely and utterly pointless. Are you outside your network??

Your on some rfc1918 address behind your router, 192.168.x.x why would you not hit your routers via its 192.168.x.x address if you wan to ssh to it.  Are you saying your out somewhere on the public internet and want to manage your router via ssh remotely?? 

I think he wants to remote in and configure the firewall/vpn appliance once he establishes the vpn....the vpn appliance does not allow you to ssh or ssl into it if you vpn through it...you would need to connect to a pc on the network first then connect to it. 

I forget what you need to do to "fix" this, but I have always just remotted into another computer to remote in and config the router/firewall/vpn appliance.

Private Internet Access is not a vpn server he runs on his router for remote access , that is a client connection so that he can hide his internet traffic from his isp or circumvent geographic restrictions, etc.

I vpn into my network all the time, and then can just ssh to my router using the normal rfc1918 address of the router..

cisco asa doesn't allow me to connect to it through its internal address when on the vpn.  but like I said, I use rdp to connect to another computer if I ever have to connect to it....maybe once every 3-4 years or so. 

that would be something odd setup on your asa then, maybe an acl preventing access from your vpn IP, etc.

no acls that are blocking that...it is a default thing...every asa I have setup, even sonicwalls I have setup, will not allow you to connect to the host internal ip...it doesn't route.  I vaguely remember that you do have to allow it, I just don't remember what and for the amount of times I have to remote into it when connected to the vpn it really isn't worth remembering. 

I don't have a asa to play with.. So maybe its some issue with asa..  But there should be no reason why it wouldn't work.. You have a tunnel network that is connected via interface X be it a real interface a sub interface on your wan.  There should be no reason it would not allow access to IP on the lan side interface.  And it clearly should be able to route that traffic back.

Maybe some sort of acl in the ssh server on the asa..  Last time I was on asa was couple of months ago to straighten out a routing issue they were having on a specific customer.  Previous to that it had been years.  I normally work on actual cisco routers and switches and firewalls its mostly juniper both isg and srx, etc.  And as of late palo alto's and fortinet

I vaguely remember you had to create a rule for it to work. By default it doesn't work. It has been years since I needed it to function due to not having a computer on site or needing to do that kind of stuff remotely. 

17 hours ago, BudMan said:

Why would you be doing that from the inside???  That is completely and utterly pointless. Are you outside your network??

Your on some rfc1918 address behind your router, 192.168.x.x why would you not hit your routers via its 192.168.x.x address if you wan to ssh to it.  Are you saying your out somewhere on the public internet and want to manage your router via ssh remotely?? 

13 hours ago, sc302 said:

I think he wants to remote in and configure the firewall/vpn appliance once he establishes the vpn....the vpn appliance does not allow you to ssh or ssl into it if you vpn through it...you would need to connect to a pc on the network first then connect to it. 

I forget what you need to do to "fix" this, but I have always just remotted into another computer to remote in and config the router/firewall/vpn appliance.

Basically, all I want to do is be able to connect via SSH while the VPN is active on my entire network. I connect through a tunnel to VNC my home PC.

where are you?  When you do this?

So your remote and vpn'd into your home network?  or your home?  Your saying when your remove you vnc to your home pc, and can still not ssh to your router?

Or your remote and try and ssh/gui to your router directly?  Via what ip its public IP or its private IP, ie through the tunnel?

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

where are you?  When you do this?

So your remote and vpn'd into your home network?  or your home?  Your saying when your remove you vnc to your home pc, and can still not ssh to your router?

Or your remote and try and ssh/gui to your router directly?  Via what ip its public IP or its private IP, ie through the tunnel?

Anywhere away from home. I do not VPN into my home network. I run a VPN client on my router to connect to PIA. Yes, I remote and try to SSH my router directly. I just connect through my DuckDNS address which is the public address.

And when the pia vpn is off, this works just fine remotely to your routers public IP?  What router are you running.. That makes no sense at all and sounds like a bug in whatever router your running.

You sure its not just messing up your ddns when you connect the the vpn...  So your public IP is 1.2.3.4, your router connects to vpn and it gets IP address 4.5.6.7 or whatever so it registers that IP.  So now when you try and connect to this dynamic dns name your connecting to something else.

When it works what is the IP your dynamic dns resolves too.. ping the name, do a nslookup on the name, dig, drill, host your fav dns tool.. Something so you know what your public IP is.. Look on the routers status for its wan..  Then connect to the vpn, and give it a while, then check what this dynamic dns name resolves to now..

And your title is wrong, should be can not ssh to router, when router has vpn client connection.  Your not sshing through any vpn here at all..  You router making a connection to some vpn service should have NOTHING to do with it listening for ssh connections on its public IP.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

And when the pia vpn is off, this works just fine remotely to your routers public IP?  What router are you running.. That makes no sense at all and sounds like a bug in whatever router your running.

You sure its not just messing up your ddns when you connect the the vpn...  So your public IP is 1.2.3.4, your router connects to vpn and it gets IP address 4.5.6.7 or whatever so it registers that IP.  So now when you try and connect to this dynamic dns name your connecting to something else.

When it works what is the IP your dynamic dns resolves too.. ping the name, do a nslookup on the name, dig, drill, host your fav dns tool.. Something so you know what your public IP is.. Look on the routers status for its wan..  Then connect to the vpn, and give it a while, then check what this dynamic dns name resolves to now..

And your title is wrong, should be can not ssh to router, when router has vpn client connection.  Your not sshing through any vpn here at all..  You router making a connection to some vpn service should have NOTHING to do with it listening for ssh connections on its public IP.

Indeed. Running an Asus RT-AC68U with Tomato 3.3-138 AIO-64K. You are correct, it must he the DDNS. When it works my DDNS resolves to my public IP from my ISP. When I enable the VPN it still shows my IP from my ISP.

pg7neVk.png

xEUz3au.png

In the options here it still shows my public IP rather than what I am receiving from PIA.

TdQ8CIi.png

huh??

Dude why do you think if you connect to PIA that you should then connect to your PIA IP to ssh to your router??

These PIA services rarely give you your own personal IPv4 address... Your sharing it with lots of other suckers, I mean users ;) Did you setup something on their end to forward ssh traffic down the tunnel to your routers private IP it got on the tunnel?  Is router ssh server listening on the tunnel IP?

So can you connect to your routers IP address ssh when your remote or not??  Forget whatever it is your thinking your doing with a tunnel. And a vpn client connect that is meant to route your users out the vpn so you can watch us netflix, etc..  Or hide whatever thing it is you want to hide from your ISP..

Use your routers IP directly not some dyndns address, etc.

On 8/16/2016 at 9:09 AM, BudMan said:

huh??

Dude why do you think if you connect to PIA that you should then connect to your PIA IP to ssh to your router??

These PIA services rarely give you your own personal IPv4 address... Your sharing it with lots of other suckers, I mean users ;) Did you setup something on their end to forward ssh traffic down the tunnel to your routers private IP it got on the tunnel?  Is router ssh server listening on the tunnel IP?

So can you connect to your routers IP address ssh when your remote or not??  Forget whatever it is your thinking your doing with a tunnel. And a vpn client connect that is meant to route your users out the vpn so you can watch us netflix, etc..  Or hide whatever thing it is you want to hide from your ISP..

Use your routers IP directly not some dyndns address, etc.

I don't. I still only connect to my DDNS address. Even when I try to connect to my public IP it still won't work. Okay, so what is your recommendation for a VPN? AWS space with a VPN only you can use? No, I did not do that. My SSH server was listening on same port as the VPN, yes.

Ok, you have incoming and outgoing.  

Your outgoing is is fine leave it where it at.  

Your incoming cannot be used used with your outgoing.  Incoming connections into your network must be managed on your network not though your outgoing Vpn provider. 

your pia is outgoing only.  

"so what is your recommendation for a VPN"

For what reason are you using it?  What are you hiding from your ISP.. You want access to netflix us library - what is the reason you think you need a outbound vpn..  I use inbound vpn into my network remotely every day, etc..  I just don't get the need/want/use of services like PIA, Hidemyass, etc.  Might have some use when possible hostile network like open wifi, etc.  

I don't really see a legit reason for use outbound from your house to be honest..  Your worried neowin knows that IP you came from?