Laptop black screen

Heya all.

My 8 year old laptop's (Toshiba) started flickering and showing orange tint on it. After a while, it went all black (though if you shine a flashlight on the black screen, you can still see it albeit very faintly). Could it be the backlight and/or the inverter?

How much does it cost for me to fix it, or does it have to be repaired by a PC technician? Is it easy to repair?

I'm still on my laptop, but I had to connect an external monitor to it for now.

Thanks in advance.

Satellite A305-S6858.

Could be internal power circuits, the video chip, or screen.

I think you'd be better off upgrading to a newer laptop, if you can.

You can take out your old drive, put it in a case and Copy your files to the new laptop.

8 years is a rather long time for a laptop. :o

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A305-s6857-Replacement-Substitute/dp/B003TQ6KOW/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471347860&sr=1-15&keywords=satellite+a305-s6857

Edited by Hum

I know -- I've gotten attached to old laptops too. [still have a '95 Dell, Win 95 -- like to get fixed]

But sometimes it is just easier, and sometimes cheaper just to upgrade. :)

There's a quick video on Youtube of someone doing this. Skimming through it looks pretty standard, just make sure you take the battery out! I didn't once...it was shocking to say the least :pinch:

5 minutes ago, John. said:

There's a quick video on Youtube of someone doing this. Skimming through it looks pretty standard, just make sure you take the battery out! I didn't once...it was shocking to say the least :pinch:

That, too. I heard the horror stories of that...

11 minutes ago, John. said:

2 minutes ago, Hum said:

Quicker than you, bro. both are about the same, anyway...

Hmm okay. Thanks for the replies. 

Your laptop's LED must have gone. Same thing happened to mine it kept flickering at abnormally fast pace. Took it to repairs but the cost was more than the new laptop so ended up buying a new monitor.