'Guard dog' cat attacks pit bull, leaving dog and owner bloodied, in Saanich, B.C.

catattack.jpg

A pit bull owner is calling for a change to animal bylaws in Saanich, B.C., after her dog was viciously attacked by a cat.

Javiera Rodriguez told CBC News a house cat attacked her pit bull while they were out for a walk with a group of six other pit bulls and their owners on Monday evening.

"The cat actually ran towards the dogs and started swiping at [my] dog's face," Rodriguez said.

Her three-year-old dog, Bandida, suffered scratches on the face, ears and chin. Rodriguez was also scratched in the attack. She described the cat as being average in size with white fluffy fur.

Rodriguez said she was out for a walk with Bandida and a group of other pit bulls when the attack took place.

Kyla Grover, the owner of two of the other dogs on the walk, said she couldn't believe what she saw.

"At first I was just shocked that this cat would go after seven dogs," she said. "I thought it would get scared and run away but it never did."

She said she stepped in to help halt the attack.

"Bandida being a pit bull, I knew if something were to happen she would get blamed and I couldn't have that happen, so I just needed to get them apart," she said.

Grover also received puncture wounds and scratches that had to be treated in an emergency room, which took  five hours she said.

One of the owners of the cat, Del Thompson, has apologized and has paid for Rodriguez's veterinary bills.

more

^ while they were out for a walk with a group of six other pit bulls and their owners ...

The other 6 were emotionally traumatized. :/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

Topic Titled Edited - please do not make up your own title when quoting news articles

Title is from other website with the same story -- sorry.

6 minutes ago, Hum said:

Title is from other website with the same story -- sorry.

What was the original title that caused such outrage :woot:

2 minutes ago, Depicus said:

What was the original title that caused such outrage :woot:

Titles often vary from site to site, as each Editor decides.

Sometmes I shorten overly long titles or try to make them less confusing.

23 minutes ago, Hum said:

Titles often vary from site to site, as each Editor decides.

Sometmes I shorten overly long titles or try to make them less confusing.

Now I'm wondering if there is a cat conspiracy to silence you #dogsrule :D

If it was a house cat - why was it outside? My cat is a house cat, and even if I did want to take her outside (which I don't and won't), it would be on a lead as she wouldn't know her surroundings.

One isolated incident is not going to get any laws changed - compare that to the amount of serious dog attacks that still occur despite there being laws and procedures in place.

• Like 3

Some cats are just evil.

My dad had a cat with attititude; a male Maine Coon massing an above average 30 lbs/13.6 kg. They're usually mild manneted, but that thing would take on anything on 2 or 4 legs, or even 4 wheels :shiftyninja:

Posessed.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, DocM said:

Some cats are just evil.

My dad had a cat with attititude; a male Maine Coon massing an above average 30 lbs/13.6 kg. The use usually mild manneted, but that thing would take on anything on 2 or 4 legs, or even 4 wheels :shiftyninja:

Posessed.

Lol doc my old male maine coon was the same. Cute cuddly looking and the attitude of satan. 

He got worse the older he got lol only i could pet him when he came to me, he would swipe at me if i walked past & i didnt pay attention......he hated my mrs :p and our lurcher, she would leave the room when he came in hehe poor thing :) i think he was just a grumpy old man haha rip mr bigglesworth.

Thats how i realised he was unwell near the end, he mellowed at 13, he was lovely as a kitten till about 2 then steadily got grumpier hehe

Edited by Mando

So if the dog owner went physically defensive, and say punted the cat several yards away, what would have happened?

Cat owner sues dog owner? Or can we be rational and say ###### that cat?

45 minutes ago, DocM said:

Some cats are just evil.

My dad had a cat with attititude; a male Maine Coon massing an above average 30 lbs/13.6 kg. They're usually mild manneted, but that thing would take on anything on 2 or 4 legs, or even 4 wheels :shiftyninja:

Posessed.

We had a Main Coon for 23 years(passed last Nov) he was at his biggest 28lbs/12.7kg and he would guard the kids like a dog when they were younger better than our dog, very loving cat.  He was a housecat 85% of the time and the rest was spent killing small woodland creatures.... like full sized rabbits or attempting a deer. 

I think Blackie (he looked like a longish haired panther) thought he was a Rottweiler. He once acquired broken leg chasing a car,  which meant we had to deal with feeding and cleaning up after an immobilized, ticked off snarling Hellspawn for 5 weeks. 

Those pits  won't mess with this kitty after this. Stupid they aren't. 

For those who haven't seen a Maine Coon cat, this one is "only" about 21 lbs.

1110.jpg

52 minutes ago, DocM said:

I think Blackie (he looked like a longish haired panther) thought he was a Rottweiler. He once acquired broken leg chasing a car,  which meant we had to deal with feeding and cleaning up after an immobilized, ticked off snarling Hellspawn for 5 weeks. 

lol :) 

12 hours ago, Daedroth said:

If it was a house cat - why was it outside? My cat is a house cat, and even if I did want to take her outside (which I don't and won't), it would be on a lead as she wouldn't know her surroundings.

One isolated incident is not going to get any laws changed - compare that to the amount of serious dog attacks that still occur despite there being laws and procedures in place.

My cat Bi-locates -- sometimes in, sometimes out. :shifty:

6 hours ago, Hum said:

My cat Bi-locates -- sometimes in, sometimes out. :shifty:

Yeah, mine used to be an outdoor cat, however when we moved to a heavily populated area we successfully converted her to an indoor cat and she's very happy. When she used to go out, she just came and went as she pleased. But 'house cats' are not allowed outside, either due to situations like mine or due to their breed.

yer, my longhair black was a rescue cat and is a housecat, shes never been a fan of being outside, most she will do is sit on kitchen window sill outside or as far as our back gardens gate...if you go near the back door she bolts indoors. 

shes a strange wee thing, very affectionate but a bit mad, she wont eat out of a cat bowl, has to be a sideplate like ours and LOVES curry sauce.....she will sit at your feet when eating curry and meow until you give her some....strange beast :) or jump up and sits right next to you, until you look at her then she will smack her lips as if to say, c`mon, gimme gimme gimme!

Also loves sticking her head into crisp packets (or chips to our atlantic brethern) for the crumbs.....suspect the previous owners fed her scraps, she was undernourished when the SSPCA took her off her old owners. She also follows me everywhere, im no fool its because im the one who feeds her, and will only sit on my lap, not the mrs heh.

If im on the desktop pc upstairs, ill feel a very gentle tap on my forearm, and there she is, on her hind legs reaching up with a front paw without claws, almost like shes saying oi, stop doing that and pay attention to me, so gentle. she also gets very jealous when im feeding our reptiles or my various fishtanks of livestock lol

Shes ok with dogs however, my parents border collie and chocolate lab dote on her if they are round, quite sweet to see, shes the boss of the 3. They follow her round and play chase...as in the cat chases both dogs (esp the lab who we call brown bear, cos hes huge!) :) hes a big soft lump, he has a terrible habit of picking up 1 shoe and bringing it to random people, not the first time ive seen him pick up the cat by her scruff and wander round, she just goes limp and lets him lol 

Can you tell im a big animal lover :p our house is like a zoo :rofl:

17 hours ago, DoctorD said:

We had a Main Coon for 23 years(passed last Nov) he was at his biggest 28lbs/12.7kg and he would guard the kids like a dog when they were younger better than our dog, very loving cat.  He was a housecat 85% of the time and the rest was spent killing small woodland creatures.... like full sized rabbits or attempting a deer. 

Killing small woodland creatures.... a deer...Wait.. A DEER IS NOT A SMALL WOODLAND CREATURE! :o

16 hours ago, DocM said:

Those pits  won't mess with this kitty after this. Stupid they aren't. 

For those who haven't seen a Maine Coon cat, this one is "only" about 21 lbs.

1110.jpg

:o That's not a cat! That's a death star in disguise!