Konami tries to explain Metal Gear Survive's ridiculous story

Metal Gear Survive  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the Metal Gear Solid franchise without Kojima's involvement?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (leave comment)

"So, an unexplained wormhole opens up..."

By Aoife Wilson Published 18/08/2016

A new Metal Gear game, the first since series auteur Hideo Kojima dramatically parted ways with publisher Konami last year, was announced today. It happened while I was in the midst of another, unrelated Gamescom presentation, so once free I had to crouch down in some deserted corridor of the Koelnmesse, to watch the trailer prior to my appointment with Konami later that afternoon.

It turns out, though, that I really needn't have; Konami didn't want to talk about or show much more than that trailer. And the company definitely didn't want to answer any questions about a certain games director with a penchant for taking pictures of his food and recently acquired facial hair that is totally working for him. And I can't really blame Konami for being coy - this was always going to be an exceedingly tricky announcement to make. But I would have thought that, for a game that is apparently launching in the next twelve months, it would have had more to show, if for no other reason than to excite its fans and reassure them that the franchise was in good hands. Especially when this new title, as a co-operative survival game for 1-4 players, is such a radical departure from everything that's come before it.

Konami brand manager Richard Jones was on hand to very carefully talk us through it all. "So as you can see from the trailer, Survive is set after the events of Ground Zeroes," he began. "The Mother Base that had been built up during the Peacewalker storyline gets sabotaged from within and destroyed; that all collapses into the sea. Boss and Miller managed to escape, and they go off and have a few adventures which obviously we all know from The Phantom Pain. Unfortunately, not all of the Mother Base staff get off alive, so some of them are left stranded. But, before anything else untimely happens, they end up being pulled through a wormhole. So, an unexplained wormhole opens up and pulls the staff, parts of mother base, other items and all sorts of detritus through."

Continues...

The announcement trailer for those who missed it:

Having watched the trailer I can't get excited about this so won't be buying it.  Looking forward to seeing what Kojima comes up with next.

Depends, I don't expect it to ever be the same, I do expect my games to be fun or entertaining if I'm going to play them.

13 minutes ago, AStalUK said:

Having watched the trailer I can't get excited about this so won't be buying it.  Looking forward to seeing what Kojima comes up with next.

(Not that you can tell what the game is about with this trailer :)

I'm not a MGS fan so diverging completely from MGS while retaining the MGS name is meaningless for me other than for the fact that most games that go that kind of route usually suck.

There's not much to go by with that trailer, no gameplay or anything. A coop survival can be fun, but there's nothing in the cinematic that makes me feel hyped about it.

Zombiecorns? I don't know, it might work. Watching people poking/stabing/shooting a rather static bunch of them through a fence is certainly not thrilling, though.

Recently got MGSV and in the intro sequence two aquaphobic x-men showed up and on the first mission there were fast zombies with guns...

At this point "unexpected wormhole" is just fine.