Fix - Windows Vista Slow Checking For Updates Phase

So after reading some of Ian W's recent posts those who know me will know that I was a huge Vista fan at the time to the extent that for home use I skipped Windows 7. When Windows 8.0 came out I moved from Vista and continued on so with Windows 10. Today I decided I would install Vista in a VM just so I have an installation around if I want to mess around with it.

As has been known for a while on Windows 7 the solution is simply to install the Convenience roll up & Latest Update roll up, 8.1 is to simply install the latest update roll up.

Windows Vista hasn't had as much attention with this issue. I have managed to solve the problem.

This assumes that SP2 is installed, if it isn't, you must install SP1 & then SP2 as it is not cumulative.

This is the order I installed things in, if you install in this order you should be okay to not reboot in between:

Install these from a clean boot.

.NET Framework 3.5.1

.NET Framework 4.6.1

Latest DirectX Redist

Platform Update Supplement KB2117917

Internet Explorer 9

Install KB3177725

Install KB3168965

Install KB3145739

Install KB3078601

Install KB3164033

Install KB3109094

Reboot & Check For Updates - Set To "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", this will reduce potential problems.

All of the updates listed after Internet Explorer 9 above were referenced from this guide http://wu.krelay.de/en/ I just figured it would be more helpful to list some major updates which also help speed up the update process.

For some reason just like in 7 & 8.1 the update process seems to get really slow if you try & install all 210 or so updates at once so I do them in batches. Starting with doing all of the .NET updates at once, then the security ones, then the usual updates.

I don't even bother anymore on my wife's Vista machine. About every 60 days an icon will appear in the tray. If I manually check for updates it will runs for days. I have tried every fix there is.

Here is another tip.

Before trying to install any of the updates do the following first

Go into services.msc, stop windows update, start it back up again, then disconnect from the internet and proceed to install your downloaded update. :D

The reason you have to do that is because a) ... iIf Windows update was already in the process for checking for updates, it tells it to stop. B) When connected to the internet, the moment you try to install it, it checks windows update first and we all know how long that takes.

51 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Here is another tip.

Before trying to install any of the updates do the following first

Go into services.msc, stop windows update, start it back up again, then disconnect from the internet and proceed to install your downloaded update. :D

The reason you have to do that is because a) ... iIf Windows update was already in the process for checking for updates, it tells it to stop. B) When connected to the internet, the moment you try to install it, it checks windows update first and we all know how long that takes.

I tried using the CMD  prompt method and the last two did install. The rest said that they were not suited for her machine. I then put everything back to normal and it checked up updates for about 10 minutes, then I shut it off.

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I tried using the CMD  prompt method and the last two did install. The rest said that they were not suited for her machine. I then put everything back to normal and it checked up updates for about 10 minutes, then I shut it off.

Yes, there is no fix for updates taking a long time in vista. I mean you can manually install updates but vista will always unless they ever fix it take a LONG time to check for update.

9 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Not a very helpful solution, especially becoming from a moderator. :o

Well I mean in all honestly there isn't really a solution at all. At least for the time it takes to check for updates. Sure you can get updates installed via manual installation but the time it takes to check for updates there is no solution, there is no solution. At this point he's right. But for a lot of people running vista, their only option is ether linux or replace the machine, as hardware upgrades and an OS licence is expensive.

12 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Solution, stop running Windows Vista.

Are you going to be able to send everyone using Vista a free and legal copy of a newer Windows OS to replace their Vista installs?

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are you going to be able to send everyone using Vista a free and legal copy of a newer Windows OS to replace their Vista installs?

Well, on the plus side, the problem should fix itself by next April when there will be no new updates to download :D

Just now, warwagon said:

Well I mean in all honestly there isn't really a solution at all. At least for the time it takes to check for updates. You get updates installed but the act of checking, there is no solution. At this point he's right. But for a lot of people running vista their only option is ether linux or replace the machine, as hardware upgrades and an OS licence is expensive.

Sort-of. The main purpose of this thread is to provide a workaround that might actually work for some.

9 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Sort-of. The main purpose of this thread is to provide a workaround that might actually work for some.

Correct, and it definitely gets people current with updates faster. Plus every patch Tuesday it would absolutely be faster to just find out what updates got handed out and go download them all and install manually :D

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No, they should be able to afford an upgrade to a modern supported OS on their own. Or buy a new system with Windows 7+ already on it. Even MS ended support for Vista, 5 YEARS ago.

47 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Not a very helpful solution, especially coming from a moderator. :o

It's hard to support something that isn't even supported by the mfg anymore.

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

No, they should be able to afford an upgrade to a modern supported OS on their own. Or buy a new system with Windows 7+ already on it. Even MS ended support for Vista, 5 YEARS ago.

They ended Mainstream support. The OS is in extended support, no different to the beloved Windows 7!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

While it may be hard, Vista is still technically supported until 2017. You would think there would be an official solution or fix available for it. 

• Like 2

Just now, LimeMaster said:

While it may be hard, Vista is still technically supported until 2017. You would think there would be an official solution or fix available for it. 

Yes, it's all workarounds for the same problem that Windows 7 & 8.1 also experience.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Yes, it's all workarounds for the same problem that Windows 7 & 8.1 also experience.

Actually, the June or July rollup has an updated in it that fixes it for Windows 7. Brings it down from all day to about 5 mins. I have it in my repair tools labeled "Windows update Fix 64bit"

9 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Actually, the June or July rollup has an updated in it that fixes it for Windows 7. Brings it down from all day to about 5 mins. I have it in my repair tools labeled "Windows update Fix 64bit"

Yes, I know it does (Mentioned in the first post) but unless someone was to go & install it manually it wouldn't solve the issue on a clean install without prior knowledge.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Yes, I know it does (Mentioned in the first post) but unless someone was to go & install it manually it wouldn't solve the issue on a clean install without prior knowledge.

correct. Plus, I read that the actual fix itself until recently was an unchecked Optional update :o