Star Citizen Shows Off Alpha 3.0’s Seamless World

22starcitizen.jpg

Fancy space games are certainly more common now than when Star Citizen [official site] was announced but Cloud Imperium’s space ’em up is still the flashiest. The devs are still working on its core elements and pulling them together into a concrete whole, but that’s starting to look pretty dang swish all right. During Gamescom last week they showed off an hour-long gameplay preview of alpha 3.0, with two players in a ship flying down from space, through a planet’s atmosphere, to land at a settlement, wander around, and pick up a contract from a proper voice-acted NPC. Have a look:

That’s pretty nice, that! It’s the first thing I’ve seen which looks much like the vision Star Citizen has sold all along: a persistent universe seamlessly combining people on foot, in space, and flying around above planets, with players able to fly ships together, run missions, run around doing FPS zapping, even loading crates of cargo into ship by hand, and and and… yeah, it’s impressive. I’ve been sceptical but this is looking swish.

It’s still only a demo, mind, so we’ll have to see what how it ends up in reality. Alpha 3.0 is due to launch around the end of the year.

Far sooner than that, Cloud Imperium will release alpha 2.5. This here trailer gives a peek at some of what it’ll bring:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/22/star-citizen-3-0-gameplay-planetary-landing/

the more i see about SC the more it evokes fond fond memories of his previous titles, im really hoping this is up to his normal levels...could really get me into gaming big time again, lately most titles are meh bit too same.

On 8/25/2016 at 11:40 PM, FunkyMike said:

heh dam you Mike....im now £46 lighter TYVM! :p that last video made me actually finally take the leap of faith, got squadron42 reduced at same time. 

Package - Mustang Alpha SC Starter

Package - Squadron 42 Add-On

24.5Gb download.....stuck on 16mbit so itll be a few hours :woot:

8 hours ago, Mando said:

heh dam you Mike....im now £46 lighter TYVM! :p that last video made me actually finally take the leap of faith, got squadron42 reduced at same time. 

Package - Mustang Alpha SC Starter

Package - Squadron 42 Add-On

24.5Gb download.....stuck on 16mbit so itll be a few hours :woot:

Congratulations! ) I hope you enjoy your Mustang!

From what I understand the biggest issue right now with this game is the netcode. From the little I have read it seems like the netcode is currently sending data to everyone on everyones location within a "space system". This means space stations, people out in space, multiple people in ships etc. .. all of that info is being given to everyone, even if a player doesn't have line of sight. This description of the current netcode is probably way too blunt and it is probably much smarter than that but it does cause FPS issues in the current build.

RSI are currently rewriting all of the netcode again to solve this issue. Seems like the current netcode was only supposed to work with X number of players in an instance/server/shard which was also the original goal but seeing as how server tech has advanced RSI decided to retool the way instances/shards / amount of players in a server work.

Unfortunately I cannot quite find the topics / threads for this. Something I picked up on reddit.

So be aware! ; ) 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:32 AM, FunkyMike said:

Congratulations! ) I hope you enjoy your Mustang!

From what I understand the biggest issue right now with this game is the netcode. From the little I have read it seems like the netcode is currently sending data to everyone on everyones location within a "space system". This means space stations, people out in space, multiple people in ships etc. .. all of that info is being given to everyone, even if a player doesn't have line of sight. This description of the current netcode is probably way too blunt and it is probably much smarter than that but it does cause FPS issues in the current build.

RSI are currently rewriting all of the netcode again to solve this issue. Seems like the current netcode was only supposed to work with X number of players in an instance/server/shard which was also the original goal but seeing as how server tech has advanced RSI decided to retool the way instances/shards / amount of players in a server work.

Unfortunately I cannot quite find the topics / threads for this. Something I picked up on reddit.

So be aware! ; ) 

yep sadly in "galaxy" the frame rate is bad atm, thats not to say I wasnt impressed on whats there so far though :)

So far as an alpha, its shaping up very nicely :) the last title to the table may actually take the crown imo.

This game has got to be the biggest, most long running con in the gaming industry... Sure it looks good, but the prices they charge, for literally -nothing-, are just obscene...

• Like 3

I've said it once and I'll say it again, WHEN this is released I'm going to build a follow up to my last rig.

I refuse to preorder anything at this point, so that's my personal thing.

• Like 2

So, which ship should I pick?

I'm already frustrated as the intro page doesn't tell me about the consequences of picking one or the other!

the sole reason im backing this, is solely down to Chris Roberts, I started my gaming in Wing commander on Amiga and for me, every title since WC 1 have been among my fav all time titles. Right up and including freelancer and Starlancer.

£46 is hardly going to bankrupt me, and i wanted to show my support to a dev that has always entertained me over the decades. And to be fair £10 of that was for Squadron 42, so really £36. Its not something i do normally, every release he has been a part of, he has had to compromise what his vision was, time after time to the point of leaving game development due to restrictions placed on him by publishing houses....hes now back with the processing power and technology to do his vision justice without the constraints of before, sure it doesnt mean he will succeed, but if anyone can pull this off, it would be Chris Roberts IMO.

55 minutes ago, Melfster said:

Personally I think there are other games that much worse that claiming to be finished games but aren't like no man sky.  What a joke.  

huh? Do you think Star Citizen is finished? its an early alpha. 

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

So, which ship should I pick?

I'm already frustrated as the intro page doesn't tell me about the consequences of picking one or the other!

at this alpha stage i dont think it makes any lasting difference.

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

i think you completely misunderstood his comment.   What he meant that other games released as finished are actually worse then then this alpha.

Just now, E.worm Jimmy said:

i think you completely misunderstood his comment.   What he meant that other games released as finished are actually worse then then this alpha.

ahh heheh ok :) that makes more sense now i think about it :) Cheers Jimmy. 

3 minutes ago, Mando said:

at this alpha stage i dont think it makes any lasting difference.

Will I get the other ship upon the game's release?

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

the sole reason im backing this, is solely down to Chris Roberts, I started my gaming in Wing commander on Amiga and for me, every title since WC 1 have been among my fav all time titles. Right up and including freelancer and Starlancer.

£46 is hardly going to bankrupt me, and i wanted to show my support to a dev that has always entertained me over the decades. And to be fair £10 of that was for Squadron 42, so really £36. Its not something i do normally.

What I am saying is most publishers are putting out games way too early and charge a lots of money for inferior product. I was talking about no man sky but this applies to a lot of games.  I don't think you can say the same thing about star citizen because the developer is actually taking time to do it right. 

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

This game has got to be the biggest, most long running con in the gaming industry... Sure it looks good, but the prices they charge, for literally -nothing-, are just obscene...

Nah that was Daikatana mate :woot:

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Word.

As of August 2016 it has raised more than $120 million.

Star Citizen fundraising goal was US$2 million with the supplemental Kickstarter campaign goal set at US$500,000.

The developer is gonna run away with 99% of it and live happily ever after IN THE REAL WORLD!!!

rofl j/k

Seriously, $0.12 BILLION is a lot of doe.

Just now, Melfster said:

What I am saying is most publishers are putting out games way too early and charge a lots of money for inferior product. I was talking about no man sky but this applies to a lot of games.  I don't think you can say the same thing about star citizen because the developer is actually taking time to do it right. 

Yep, its almost like its seen as get it out there, reap in initial sales, then worry about release issues and DLC later. 

I get the feeling with CR, it'll be released proper when its done, with release to preorder folks as test subjects like atm.

8 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Will I get the other ship upon the game's release?

You only just get the one ship, most ships aside from capital ship can be earned in game via ingame currency, once the progress gets to a certain point, ship sales will be taken down, and there will be only so much in game currency able to be purchased weekly I believe.

10 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

And yet no one forces anyone to buy anything but the basics since most ships are earnable in the final product.  Before the split the Single Player Squadron 42 from the MMO PU of Star Citizen, it was like $50 for a starter ship and both games.  Now it's $90 to get both since they've split them into two projects that still though require a lot of the same code.

I would play this in a heartbeat but not at $75 US just to get a entry level ship to play. 
If they had a simple system of signing up, then getting the basic of basics i'd be there so fast.