Star Citizen Shows Off Alpha 3.0’s Seamless World

Whats the point of large galaxy if there is nothing you can do in it. I just don't want do that. I don't care how large a galaxy is. It should be free because because it looks boring.  If that type of game makes you happy so be it.  

Then I guess you missed the part where it's still under development? It's not complete lol

My point was in 5 years that guy has done more for Space Engine (go compare to what it looked like back in 2010 when the first public release came out and what features it had, compared to now. And that was all done in his spare time. Chris Roberts and his team have done less than 1 developer in that same amount of time with significantly more money. That's my entire point.

The fact that you want to criticize some guy who has actually made a fully working simulation / game with an engine entirely built from scratch but refuse to criticize Chris Roberts who has so far made a game that's smaller than 1 zone in world of Warcraft is quite telling.

I do not know how much you follow the development reports that come out monthly from the 4 different studios that are working on this game but I would seriously like to meet the person that can sum it all up.

You can tell it's progress by the alphas they put out which is why I said either they have some super secret test build that other people aren't privy to, which is entirely possible, or the game isn't as far along as you seem to think it is.

I can honestly say I have never seen a bunch of gamers so willing to trust a company that has offered virtually nothing for the amount of money they've taken in. Every single thread that references this game is always full of excuses about how its a big game, how chris Roberts is this messiah of gaming who's going to fix everything, how a huge amount of work is actually being done totally in secret,

If you ever want to see this game complete and released in the vision that Chris originally had start criticizing it. This whole ###### of "Chris Roberts can do nothing wrong" aura that some of you people have is pretty pathetic. He's a developer not a messiah. The amount of mistakes CIG have made since 2011 till today is pretty huge and unless they get that in check this game will keep getting delayed.

Let me repeat it again. The vision for this game is great. The management for this game is ###### poor, they simply cannot seem to focus on a single task without getting distracted and working on 10 other tasks and it shows.

People on this forum had this same argument in 2015 and hey I will fully admit I was one of them. I kept saying "look guys this vision is massive this work takes time" and guess what a year later it's still 90% the same. So I'm sure we'll be having this argument next year in 2017 when they release Alpha 4.0 now with planetary toilets! And judging by the past experience it's going to be the same thing again "guys work is happening ok its a big game" vs. "well its now 6 years, the netcode is still broken".

Alpha 3.0 showed off Planetary landings  seamless transition from space to a planetoid and some character tech. 2.0 was about multiplayer ships.  BTW the next version 3.0 which they will show at citizencon next month will show planets with environmental procedural tech ex Crysis level forest.     I guarantee you don't t know what talking about.  

Oh and btw guess all 3 of us were wrong. The game had seamless planetary landings....8 months ago which was Alpha 2. I remembered you could move around seamlessly forgot that you could land on the planet seamlessly too. So there you go. 8 months ago they did that, now they've added an auto lander!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Melfster said:

I'd rather they take their time.... I don't want games to pushed out early.  I want them take their time and do it right.   Elite is game pushed out early and sucks It just not fun. I doubt elite is going to be around in 5 years.  While Star citizen building a foundation for the future that's why it takes so much time. RSI is building 2 games at once SQ 42 single player and Star Citizen.   

It's fair that Elite isn't your type of game, that doesn't make it boring, it may make it boring to you, for hundreds of thousands of others, even millions(not sure about the actual numbers) it's not. and as for the game going away... it's actually growing. people are constantly buying it and finding it awesome. there's stories of new players who bought in on a sale or decided to try it on reddit every day. There's a huge boost with each new expansion and major patch. So in 5 years, elite will be what SC promised to be on their kickstarter, while SC will, hopefully maybe have just been released under new management that that what had to be done to roberts last game, rescued it from Roberts. 

SC will be a great game if it ever finished developement, but that won't be for years yet. it however will not compete with Elite. and unfortunately for SC, while it's being ever more feature creeped, other space games that actually do compete with it have popped up and are being released this and next year and are looking like great games. 

SC will be a great game if it ever finished developement, but that won't be for years yet. it however will not compete with Elite. and unfortunately for SC, while it's being ever more feature creeped, other space games that actually do compete with it have popped up and are being released this and next year and are looking like great games. 

Exactly. Roberts spends more time thinking of new ideas than actually dedicating the resources to making those ideas a reality. Meanwhile Frontier goes "hmm that's actually a great idea" and then copies it and actually makes its fully playable.

Elite Horizons is simple proof of that. While SC is sitting around showing off their auto lander, Frontier went ahead and did that and everything else that Roberts promised SC would do back in 2011 and released it.

The guy is an incredibly talented developer and visionary. The ideas he has for games is awesome....he just lacks the focus needed to make it happen. He needs someone or a whole bunch of people to tell him "No chris enough with your ideas lets get this done" instead of the "keeping taking a mile Chris you got this, we'll wait until 2040 when the game is released and everyone has moved on and forgotten about it" ideology that people seem to have with star citizen.  

42 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

It's fair that Elite isn't your type of game, that doesn't make it boring, it may make it boring to you, for hundreds of thousands of others, even millions(not sure about the actual numbers) it's not. and as for the game going away... it's actually growing. people are constantly buying it and finding it awesome. there's stories of new players who bought in on a sale or decided to try it on reddit every day. There's a huge boost with each new expansion and major patch. So in 5 years, elite will be what SC promised to be on their kickstarter, while SC will, hopefully maybe have just been released under new management that that what had to be done to roberts last game, rescued it from Roberts. 

I don't really think many new space games that can compete with SC in terms of functionality and depth.  Even though it is in buggy alpha state there huge influx of new players with SC many of whom find SC has entertainment value the the Elite.  I know personally of a lot people leaving the elite they are unhappy with it direction.   If Elite is going survive they need to do better.

Many people describe the game is a 1000 mile wide 2 inch deep puddle; a fair assessment imo. Horizons is a nice DLC that should've been in the base game. 

Elite needs 2 to 4 years before its even remotely fun.

I don't really think many new space games that can compete with SC in terms of functionality and depth.  Even though it is in buggy alpha state there huge influx of new players with SC many of whom find SC has entertainment value the the Elite.  I know personally of a lot people leaving the elite they are unhappy with it direction.   If Elite is going survive they need to do better.

It doesn't matter what the functionality and the depth is if they can't even get the game finished on time.

I too can talk about how I want to make a gigantic space game with multiple universes, but when I can't deliver on that then people stop caring.

And no there's not a huge influx of new players, there's people who have pledged money. If you go on the alpha server you'll quickly realize that maybe 100 of the 1million + people who pledged money actually play on it.

Many people describe the game is a 1000 mile wide 2 inch deep puddle; a fair assessment imo. Horizons is a nice DLC that should've been in the base game. 

No see that is what you don't understand. HALF OF WHAT CHRIS TALKS ABOUT DOESN'T NEED TO BE IN THE MAIN GAME. THATS THE ENTIRE DEFINITION OF FEATURE CREEP LOL.

Take WoW for example. There are huge parts of the expansions that have existed in some form in the vanilla game but Blizzard understands that if they spent all their time working on those new features the game will never launch.

Elite has launched, huge amounts of people play it. Things like Horizons keep them engaged in the game while providing new content for them to enjoy. Same reason why WoW has multiple expansions. I find it hilarious that you talk about fun. Elite has launched, people are enjoying it. SC hasn't launched and nobody is really playing it. In that regard Elite Dangerous is already more fun than SC because you can actually play it. But hey I guess if you think that reading the dev logs of Chris' 2000 new features he has planned for SC is more fun then more power to you.

But hey 2-4 years before it becomes fun according to you eh? So no worries because in 2-4 years SC will be on alpha 5 - 7. Can't wait for the beta in 2020! Release in 2030!

1 hour ago, -Razorfold said:

It doesn't matter what the functionality and the depth is if they can't even get the game finished on time.

I too can talk about how I want to make a gigantic space game with multiple universes, but when I can't deliver on that then people stop caring.

And no there's not a huge influx of new players, there's people who have pledged money. If you go on the alpha server you'll quickly realize that maybe 100 of the 1million + people who pledged money actually play on it.

No see that is what you don't understand. HALF OF WHAT CHRIS TALKS ABOUT DOESN'T NEED TO BE IN THE MAIN GAME. THATS THE ENTIRE DEFINITION OF FEATURE CREEP LOL.

Take WoW for example. There are huge parts of the expansions that have existed in some form in the vanilla game but Blizzard understands that if they spent all their time working on those new features the game will never launch.

Elite has launched, huge amounts of people play it. Things like Horizons keep them engaged in the game while providing new content for them to enjoy. Same reason why WoW has multiple expansions. I find it hilarious that you talk about fun. Elite has launched, people are enjoying it. SC hasn't launched and nobody is really playing it. In that regard Elite Dangerous is already more fun than SC because you can actually play it. But hey I guess if you think that reading the dev logs of Chris' 2000 new features he has planned for SC is more fun then more power to you.

But hey 2-4 years before it becomes fun according to you eh? So no worries because in 2-4 years SC will be on alpha 5 - 7. Can't wait for the beta in 2020! Release in 2030!

I get it you hate Chris Roberts....you think he is lying fine. You hate devs that push the limit of pc hardware.  I have no problem with SC taking the time get it right.   In mean time I will enjoy Sq 42 which is 70% flight sim and 30% FPS which due out early next year.

The problem I have with Elite it is like  Euro Truck Simulator on steroids + combat with loot system

There is not heavy story with lots of lore ....there is not rich multiplayer experience ...Nor is their FPS.

Just because devs launch a game doesn't mean it is fun game to play.

I'd rather companies not put out their game out before they are ready if that means waiting a little longer so be it.  WOW is not really pushing the limits of PC Tech. I'd rather companies take the time get the foundations right.  If you get the foundations wrong over time it becomes much harder to retrofit that functionality in.

There is huge influx of new users recently mainly I think because gamescon demo it is around 1.5 Mill.  

I get it you hate Chris Roberts....you think he is lying fine. You hate devs that push the limit of pc hardware.  I have no problem with SC taking the time get it right.   In mean time I will enjoy Sq 42 which is 70% flight sim and 30% FPS which due out early next year.

I actually don't but keep trying.

I'll be here waiting for SQ42 to release. When it doesn't I'm sure you'll have another 200 excuses as to why it isn't. The guy hasn't been able to keep any of his release dates for any of his projects, EVER and you think he's going to keep that one. Just lol.

I mean hey its not like it was supposed to release in 2015........then end of 2016........and now early 2017........Oh wait, that's exactly what happened.

I mean for ###### sake the guy had to be removed from managing his previous game because he failed to meet every single commitment that he made, it's only until he was gone did they actually start working on getting the game released on time. But no you're right SQ42 is definitely going to come out early next year. Pinky promise! :rolleyes:

And yes I hate devs that push the limit of PC hardware. :rolleyes: That must be why I bought a GTX 1080 so that I can play minesweeper :rolleyes:  Just because I'm tired of seeing tiny improvements to the base game while Chris finds 200 more features to shove in every month means I must hate games that aren't demanding. Dear god your excuses get even more pathetic as the number of replies you make increases.

I'd rather companies not put out their game out before they are ready if that means waiting a little longer so be it.  WOW is not really pushing the limits of PC Tech. I'd rather companies take the time get the foundations right.  If you get the foundations wrong over time it becomes much harder to retrofit that functionality in.

What does this have to do with PC tech? Seriously are you just digging the bottom of the barrel for excuses now?

I said WoW released even though Blizzard already had plans of what to do in the future. Then in the future provide updates, expansions etc. That's how you get a project released on time, on budget, and have the future planned out with content so people keep playing your game.

I find it hilarious that you want to talk about foundations but yet the VITALLY IMPORTANT PART OF THE GAME, the netcode (I mean hey it is supposed to be a MMO right?) has been absolute ######## trash ever since the first release almost 2 years ago. Better load all the players in the entire game guys! Even if he's 2 million miles away on another planet where I can't see or interact with him my game better eat up cpu cycles and keep track of what he's doing. "the base code is almost all done and they're focusing on content creation now" just lol. just. ########. lol.

The problem I have with Elite it is like  Euro Truck Simulator on steroids + combat with loot system

There is not heavy story with lots of lore ....there is not rich multiplayer experience ...Nor is their FPS.

And star citizen isn't even a game at the moment. So how much fun is that exactly? 0.

Reading dev logs and waiting till 2040 must be fun as all hell, I can only imagine while I sit here playing games that actually have released.

There is huge influx of new users recently mainly I think because gamescon demo it is around 1.5 Mill.  

No 1.5 million people is the total number of people pledged. Not new users.

---

Keep digging the bottom of the barrels for excuses I'm out. I'll be back next year to laugh when Squadron 42 is delayed for another year or two or when Star Citizen alpha v4 is out. Can't wait to see the two improvements they made :rolleyes:

Edited by -Razorfold

7 hours ago, Melfster said:

OH NO! you know of a couple of people who aren't "happy"... well the game is doomed, screw all the actual sales an user numbers.

Also the other games coming aren't as deep sure. that's the point, most users just want a decently large space combat game with maybe some story or a persistent universe. and others are making these. good ones. 

7 hours ago, Melfster said:

FOR YOU!

and fact is, Elite isn't going to be fun for you even in 4-5 years with 4-5 expansions on it's back. because it's NOT YOUR kind of game, you want space action combat, Elite has that, but it's main point is exploration and trading and realism. no amount of expansions will change that, just expand upon it.  Elite is a type of game that will survive for ever since the gameplay is of a type that a lot of gamers of a certain age and type really enjoy, and they can just sit down and enjoy. SC is a AAA game, it's going to be great if and when it's released, but I doubt we'll see it live with a massive userbase for very long, it's going to peak and fade like all AAA games. basically being an MMO won't help, as you may have noticed MMO's are dying across the board. 

5 hours ago, Melfster said:

Actually, Elite has a lot of story, quite deep even for those who care about it. the thing is. Elite is a sandbox. the writers are literally writing the story around the actions of the players. and much of it is told in game though the game mechanics of certain features. 

Also it's not about pushing the limits of PC tech, that's not why SC is taking forever. feature creep has nothing to do with PC power. and also Chris needs to make sure his game is playable for the people who pledged him 5 years ago... 

Chris is a great visionary, but a terrible developers and project manager. 

Holy ###### I just realized something.

By the time this game actually releases, interplanetary space travel will be commonplace.

Maybe this is Chris Roberts' master plan! Keep telling people he is making a space game, show off cool pictures and videos, and then make them wait 50 years. This will make them so bored that they just say "###### it I'm going to go build my own interplanetary ship and experience it for real."

The guy is a genius. GENIUS I tell you!