Have a Beer! Windows 95 turns 21 today (August 24th)

:beer: Anyone wanna clink their mugs? :D 

Not a fan of beer myself, but perhaps hard cider! It just struck me that anyone too young to drink in the US wasn't alive when Windows 95 was released. Heck, I was still a baby when it was released. Just a week ago, I took out the family's old IBM ThinkPad running Windows 95 for a spin, for nostalgia's sake. I remember playing old games like SimTower and the original SimCity on that computer as a kid. Windows 95 seems so simple now (feature-wise at least; technologically Win95 was really complex and almost jury-rigged from a mix of DOS, old Windows, and Win32) compared to modern operating systems.

8 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Happy birthday Wi- ... 21? Oh god, that was 21 years ago?

Remember when Windows Update was a web page? lulz.

Remember when there wasn't even a web browser and you had to install TCP/IP !!!! lulz indeed :)

• Like 2

Lol - and the original Windows Explorer? That was before the IE4 shell.

(and on a total digression, I would rather have one of those Bud Light Lime Ritas)

Happy Birthday Windows 95. Brings back so many memories when My father bought me a Pentium 2 and it has Win 95. Back in the day it used to look like the most technological advanced thing ever. 

Back in 1995ish our family bought an Amiga 500 off my cousin. Having never really used a computer before than I was fascinated by it. I ended up using Windows 95 a couple of times at a friends house, but that's it. School's didn't really have computers back then either (well the one i went to didn't), our school had one Acorn computer running Risc OS i believe, which no one really got to use.

Our family's first PC was a Pentium 2 @ 300mhz with 128mb of ram and a 4mb ATI Rage Pro graphics card, i believe we got that in August of 1998 just after Windows 98 had been released - that was me well and try hooked on computers then.

On 8/24/2016 at 2:07 AM, MtnDewCodeRedFreak said:

Lol - and the original Windows Explorer? That was before the IE4 shell.

It was better than the one we have now  :rofl:

17 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

It was better than the one we have now  :rofl:

Put your money where your mouth is and run today's software on Windows 95 ;)

On 8/23/2016 at 10:16 PM, The_D0lph1n said:

Not a fan of beer myself, but perhaps hard cider! It just struck me that anyone too young to drink in the US wasn't alive when Windows 95 was released. Heck, I was still a baby when it was released. Just a week ago, I took out the family's old IBM ThinkPad running Windows 95 for a spin, for nostalgia's sake. I remember playing old games like SimTower and the original SimCity on that computer as a kid. Windows 95 seems so simple now (feature-wise at least; technologically Win95 was really complex and almost jury-rigged from a mix of DOS, old Windows, and Win32) compared to modern operating systems.

I came across an old "Computer Chronicles" episode recently that gave a brief review of Win95. Their conclusion was that the 95 referred to the shipping year, but 92 would have been a better technical notation, implying that they felt it was more like Win3.1 on steroids.

Having used Win3.1 on a VM recently, I can see why they stated this. Win95 did add a lot of nice functionality, but I did find many of the things it could do were also possible on Win3.1, just not as refined.

But that said, the original Win95 (pre-Desktop Update) did have a nice, simple user interface that I still wish was accessible to a certain extent (I've always felt things like IE integration and File Explorer continually getting more and more complex have not always been good things).

Windows 95 was apparently so significant to Microsoft that, for a time, it was a milestone for future versions of Windows to be compared to.

Windows XP:

BILL GATES: This is a major Windows release, certainly the most important Windows release since Windows 95. Today is the unveiling, we're not going to be able to go through all the great things we've done, but we do want you to get a sense of our excitement and see some of the key things that will make this a breakthrough introduction.

Source: Remarks by Bill Gates and Jim Allchin - Windows XP Unveiling

Windows Vista:

This is going to be a very big release -- the biggest release of this decade, the biggest since Windows 95.

Source: Remarks by Bill Gates, Chairman and Chief Software Architect, Microsoft Corporation - Microsoft Professional Developers Conference 2003

OK, this is going to be an amazing release. It hasn’t been since 1995 and Windows 95 that we’ve produced an operating system that had features for every audience. In the IT pro space think about all the work that we’re doing in servicing and deployment and security. For the information worker think of all the search and organization and visualization, or even the simple meeting app experience that we’re going to put in the system; consumers, all the games that are going to be there, the photos, the music, the video, all that. And it hasn’t been since Windows 95 that we’ve had this rich an API for you.

Source: Jim Allchin: Microsoft Professional Developers Conference 2005

We made that decision last August. Once we made that decision it took us about two months to reset the team. And between the time we made that decision and the time we ship what will now be Vista, Windows Vista, we’ll have about a two-year cycle.

During that same period of time, which I consider a pretty rapid cycle for an individual release of Windows, considering we still have the most major Windows release probably ever, certainly since Windows 95, Vista is that significant.

Source: Steve Ballmer: Gartner Symposium/ITxpo 2005

This is the biggest launch in our company’s history, that’s for sure, and, frankly, I think these [Windows Vista and Office 2007] are the two most significant releases we’ve ever done of these flagship products in terms of the depth and breadth of functionality that’s built in, the new scenarios that get enabled, both today, as I’ll talk about on the business side, but in the consumer side as well, as we move forward.

Source: Steve Ballmer: “A New Day for Business” Launch Event

MODERATOR: OK, that leads me to my first question on Vista itself. So, Windows 95 — look back: Windows 95, XP, Vista. How do the three things compare?

STEVE BALLMER: Well, each came at kind of a different time for the industry, different times for Microsoft. In a sense, Windows 95 was really the kickoff for the broad acceptance of the PC. And you can’t repeat that, since PCs are very popular.

On the other hand, in terms of kind of range and amount of innovation, speed with which customers have embraced the new products, certainly Vista is really in a class by itself.

Source: Steve Ballmer: Software 2007

Windows 8:

Q: You've talked about this year being the most epic. Is there another year in Microsoft's history you could compare this to? Maybe the launch of Windows 95?

A: You know, Windows 95 was certainly the biggest thing in the last 20 years until now. I think Windows 8 certainly surpasses it. It's a little hard to compare things like the founding (of the company) and the introduction of the first popular PC and the system that popularized it, but it's at that scale.

Source: Ballmer trumpets Microsoft’s ‘epic year’

STEVE BALLMER: This is an epic year. When I think about — and I’ve been at Microsoft since ’80 — and you think about the big opportunities and the big products, the important work we’ve had a chance to do, certainly the founding of the company has to stand out.

The PC, 1981, really mainstreamed technology; Windows 95 really brought computers to be open and accessible to people every day. But with Windows 8, this year, right now, right here, with this reimagination, this will kick off what I consider to be the most epic year in Microsoft’s history, and that’s coming off of a pretty exciting year.

Source: Steve Ballmer, Jon Roskill, Kurt DelBene, and Tami Reller: Worldwide Partner Conference 2012 Day 1 Keynote