Pilot arrested at Schiphol for drinking prior to flight

#dontdrinkanddrivesmokeandfly

Pilot arrested at Schiphol for drinking prior to flight

A 64-year-old Dutch pilot has been arrested at Schiphol airport for alcohol offences just as he was about to fly a plane full of holidaymakers to Turkey.

A security official smelled alcohol on the man as he passed her and alerted the authorities, the military police said on Facebook.

He was given a breathalyser test and found to have blood alcohol level of 0.6, which is above the drink driving limit. Pilots are banned from consuming alcohol for 10 hours before the beginning of a flight.

Hoping the security guy will get a pay increase.

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

#dontdrinkanddrivesmokeandfly

Hoping the security guy will get a pay increase.

Well, he did a good job and all, but really? A pay rise? For doing his job? Nah... A bonus though? Maybe.

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, he did a good job and all, but really? A pay rise? For doing his job? Nah... A bonus though? Maybe.

i'd vote both :) 

United Airlines pilots suspected of being drunk arrested in Glasgow

Police and airline officials say two United Airlines pilots have been arrested for suspected intoxication before they were to fly 141 passengers from Scotland to the United States.

United Airlines officials have confirmed Saturday's arrest of the pilots, aged 45 and 35, at Glasgow Airport. The Police Service of Scotland says both men are expected to be arraigned Monday at a court in Paisley, a Glasgow suburb, to face charges connected to Britain's transport safety laws.

United said Saturday's flight from Glasgow to the U.S. city of Newark, New Jersey, was delayed for 10 hours while the airline sought replacement pilots.

Saturday's arrests come barely a month after two Canadian pilots of an Air Transat plane were arrested at Glasgow Airport and charged with trying to fly while intoxicated.

These incidents I'm sure aren't common  (I hope), but it does make me wonder just how many pilots may be flying under the influence and impaired.

11 minutes ago, Raze said:

These incidents I'm sure aren't common  (I hope), but it does make me wonder just how many pilots may be flying under the influence and impaired.

These days, pilots are faced with nonnormative work schedules. Their working conditions are far from being stellar :D 

It's possible they were called on the job when they were supposed to be resting  - this, of course, doesn't excuse them from showing up drunk at work.

29 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

If they're called up ahead of schedule, then they just need to say "Can't, had a drink."

Simples!

"Get your drunk ass down here, or you are fired!"