Russia first to test clean pulse-detonation rocket engine (VIDEO)

Russia first to test clean pulse-detonation rocket engine (VIDEO)

In a breakthrough move, Russian scientists have become the first ever to successfully test a pulse-detonation rocket engine (PDRE) on clean fuel, claiming this will be the future of space travel.

The tests were run in July and August, but the announcement was only made on Friday on the homepage of the Russian Advanced Research Foundation (FPI), which is in charge of the project.

The scientists say they have built and tested “the world’s first full-size pulse-detonation rocket engine demonstrator” that uses clean fuel, namely an oxygen-kerosene pairing.

The current liquid fuel engines used by rockets to get to space have reached their maximum capabilities, according to the FPI. Instead, a pulse-detonation engine that uses high thermodynamic efficiency will allow spacecraft to reach previously unattainable performance.

It would also result in additional workload for rockets and the reduction of cost for orbital deliveries.

This is actually pretty cool and I hope it works well.

I will admit, at first I thought it was a pulse jet (similar principle) and thought there was an error here. The pulse jet engine was invented in the late 1890's and notice was taken during world war 2 (V1 series rockets). Since then, a lot of research has been done and is now left for hobbyists, where many designs are available. I made a pulse jet many years ago, a valveless with piezo electric start, which due to my calculation error, melted itself in 10 seconds, but it sure sounded great.

The pulse jet uses a tuned chamber and relies on a slow flame front and expanding gas for propulsion. The PDE uses a fast flame front, hence detonation, and constant volume ( no time for gas expansion).

NASA has tested this in aircraft but stopped development.

300px-PDE_LongEZ_AFRL.jpg

In-flight picture of the pulsed detonation powered, and heavily modified, Rutan Long-EZ on January 31, 2008.

Adapting this as a rocket engine is real neat, can't wait to see the spec's.

// side note....a pulse jet, glowing cherry red and obnoxiously loud, is way more cool than hockey cards and clothes pins hitting your bicycle spokes for engine noise.

:woot:

• Like 2

PDE's have been tested numerous times before; there have been background stories of tests at Area 51 for years, and as soon as the AFRL tests were completed in 2008 the program was cancelled from the budget (read: went black.) Look up Blackswift.

Right now they and BAE are going it one better by developing new engine concepts leveraging Reaction Engines SABRE engine and it's 450 megawatt precooler.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

The key word combination is: "on clean fuel"

:D 

The below is GE's methane fueled 8 tube PDE, a clean fuel, and Airbus is developing a PDE.

GEhybridPDC.png

8 minutes ago, DocM said:

The below is GE's methane fueled 8 tube PDE, a clean fuel, and Airbus is developing a PDE.

GEhybridPDC.png

I see a schematic and the word "developing", while the article says: "they have built and tested “the world’s first full-size pulse-detonation rocket engine demonstrator” that uses clean fuel" ;) 

Keep trying. US labs have been flying them for years, and there's nothing magic about running them on liquid hydrogen or liquid methane - though the latter gives more energy per liter due to its higher bulk density.

11 minutes ago, DocM said:

Keep trying. US labs have been flying them for years, and there's nothing magic about running them on liquid hydrogen or liquid methane - though the latter gives more energy per liter due to its higher bulk density.

Umm, no sir, you are the one who's been trying to jump start some unnecessary e-peen contest here.

The conceptual work of PDEs spans over 70 years (source: Hoffmann, N., Reaction Propulsion by Intermittent Detonative Combustion, German Ministry of Supply, Volkenrode Translation, 1940.) please correct me if I'm wrong.