Realtek Provides Nic Teaming & Tagged VLan support on Windows 10

For anyone who has been waiting on this Realtek has got Nic teaming and Vlan support on the latest versions of windows 10.

TEAM.jpg

The download file is DiagnosticAllin1(2.0.2.11)_20150820_Teaming_General_Win10Only.zip

Its been shared from the Realtek FTP by VinnieI on the intel forum

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77934?start=225&tstart=0

Tested and working here, If you don't have a Realtek card you are **** out of luck for now

Edited by TPreston
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TPreston said:

For anyone who has been waiting on this Realtek has got Nic teaming and Vlan support on the latest versions of windows 10.

TEAM.jpg

The download file is DiagnosticAllin1(2.0.2.11)_20150820_Teaming_General_Win10Only.zip

Tested and working here, If you don't have a Realtek card you are **** out of luck for now

Interesting - RealTek supported NIC teaming in their old drivers for Windows 7 (not just their drivers, but the drivers they wrote for the nForce LAN and WLAN chipsets - I have nForce for both Intel and AMD in my hardware history, and the latter in my second-oldest Windows 10 notebook) - it was my first native experience with dis-similar teaming on notebooks.  Nowadays, you can only do so in VMs - not natively (at least before this) - rather odd, that.

5 hours ago, TPreston said:

TEAM.jpg

Gee all those times you blamed MS and it's like I said, it's supported by the OEMs and their drivers. 

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Gee all those times you blamed MS and it's like I said, it's supported by the OEMs and their drivers. 

However, note that it requires that the same OEM support the drivers - Intel and Realtek, for example.  You couldn't have adapter teaming from non-identical OEMs (Intel gigabit and Realtek wireless, for example); that is what users griped and complained about.  As it is, there aren't many OEMs that have both wired AND wireless adapters in their repertoire - in fact, Realtek and Intel are the only two I know of; hence I get the gripeage.

5 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

However, note that it requires that the same OEM support the drivers - Intel and Realtek, for example.  You couldn't have adapter teaming from non-identical OEMs (Intel gigabit and Realtek wireless, for example); that is what users griped and complained about.  As it is, there aren't many OEMs that have both wired AND wireless adapters in their repertoire - in fact, Realtek and Intel are the only two I know of; hence I get the gripeage.

two thoughts on that: how often does that scenario present itself and it sounds like OEMs need to come up with a standard. Hyper V offers teaming because it emulates the hardware and to the VM, it looks no different. Even if Windows 10 had native support for it, how would it allow dissimilar devices to cooperate?

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

But we orignally had the same nic teaming/vlan support as in server 2012 and tgey took it away. People had this deployed from Pro to Enterprise and even Enterprise LTSB and then its taken away with no solution for over a year.

So no its a legitimite complaint espically considering the LTSB which is supposedly only meant to get security updates has had this feature removed the users will come in to work on monday to find their networking ****ed and the admins will likely have no options other to revert the update on hundreds of pcs.

Its great that realtek users have a solution (after a year) but it certenly doesnt absolve microsoft for treating its loyal customers like **** and not even admitting this problem exsists for a year.

3 hours ago, TPreston said:

But we orignally had the same nic teaming/vlan support as in server 2012 and tgey took it away. People had this deployed from Pro to Enterprise and even Enterprise LTSB and then its taken away with no solution for over a year.

So no its a legitimite complaint espically considering the LTSB which is supposedly only meant to get security updates has had this feature removed the users will come in to work on monday to find their networking ****ed and the admins will likely have no options other to revert the update on hundreds of pcs.

Were the same drivers used as 2012? I'm betting not. Even on Windows 10, drivers have often needed updating from one version to the next. 

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Were the same drivers used as 2012? I'm betting not. Even on Windows 10, drivers have often needed updating from one version to the next. 

You cannot seem to grasp this, It was vendor natural there was no driver needed from Realtek or Intel it just worked regardless of the network adapter driver installed just like in Server 2012.

It was a feature removal that caused us to relay on third party solutions of which only 1 exsists.

The LBFO feature is not currently enabled, or LBFO is not supported on this SKU.

You cant get any more clear than that

48 minutes ago, TPreston said:

You cannot seem to grasp this, It was vendor natural there was no driver needed from Realtek or Intel it just worked regardless of the network adapter driver installed just like in Server 2012.

It was a feature removal that caused us to relay on third party solutions of which only 1 exsists.

The LBFO feature is not currently enabled, or LBFO is not supported on this SKU.

You cant get any more clear than that

Whatever dude. Until yesterday you didn't even know OEMs could add it to windows 10. 

I dont care care if a feature is vendor neutral or not, if the driver doesn't support it, it isn't happening. Whine and complain about MS all you want; Realtek has made it clear that intel could give it to you but hasn't. 

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Whatever dude. Until yesterday you didn't even know OEMs could add it to windows 10. 

It was a waiting game we all knew that. Either for Microsoft to return what they took or the vendors to produce their own solution.

I dont care care if a feature is vendor neutral or not, if the driver doesn't support it, it isn't happening. Whine and complain about MS all you want; Realtek has made it clear that intel could give it to you but hasn't.

Well you are wrong as always.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2012/06/02/windows-server-2012-creating-a-nic-team-for-load-balancing-and-failover/

One of the new features in Windows Server 2012 is Microsoft NIC Teaming.  In the past, NIC teaming was handled by the NIC vendor’s driver and management software.  This was often problematic as many issues with advanced applications and roles were caused by NIC driver and teaming issues.  Microsoft did not support NIC teaming for Hyper-V networks in the past because of this.  No longer the case, NIC teaming is now part of the Operating System.

This was also present in Windows 10 with the same Microsoft driver.

4 minutes ago, TPreston said:

It was a waiting game we all knew that. Either for Microsoft to return what they took or the vendors to produce their own solution.

Well you are wrong as always.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2012/06/02/windows-server-2012-creating-a-nic-team-for-load-balancing-and-failover/

This was also present in Windows 10.

Pretty sure it still needs driver level support (note I said nothing of management software) . Believe what you want though. No skin off my back. 

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Pretty sure it still needs driver level support (note I said nothing of management software) . Believe what you want though. No skin off my back. 

Oy vey :rofl:

Just now, TPreston said:

Oy vey :rofl:

The most hilarious part of this is you are complaining about a client OS not supporting what a server OS does. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

The most hilarious part of this is you are complaining about a client OS not supporting what a server OS does. 

Enterprise Client OS and it did support this just like it supported HyperV

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2016 at 2:35 PM, TPreston said:

Enterprise Client OS and it did support this just like it supported HyperV

And you can still do it in Hyper-V (8, 8.1 or 10) - the complaint is that you can't do it anywhere else.

The other issue is that from 8 forward for Windows clients (and Server 2016 forward on the server side) EPT/SLAT is required - the workaround is three OSes (Server 2008, Server 2012, and Server 2012R2) - all support Hyper-V, and none require EPT or SLAT to do so.  The trade-off is that none of the three server OSes support DirectX.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Works on win 10 1709. You may have to manually remove and install the correct management protocols under the nic settings for the older management software to work and display the teaming option. The software also does not like the microsoft virtual wifi adapters! so if you have a wireless card in the computer disable the virtual adapters from device manager. the realtek drivers can be basically any version (even the windows 10 default one) as long as the management software has the right protocols under the nic settings. Using 2 ecs liva z computers with dual nics and both working. the only problem has been that sometimes the virtual nic getting the 2gbit link does not recognize ip address (even manually configured) or internet connection but "resetting" the connection by troubleshooting it fixes it every time. the installation process of some windows 10 updates triggers this problem.