I just had a small rush replacing an APC battery...

I have an old SUA1000 breadbox model which needed it's battery replaced. I ordered a BTI replacement battery off Amazon. I've done many times over the years for myself and clients... it's no big deal at all... So the battery came in and I went ahead with a hot-swap replacement. Again, I've done this many times so it should be pretty uneventful, but as soon as I hooked up the second lead, the red lead, the inside of the box lit up, sparked, and there was a small fire for a few seconds. The typical bubbles smell of electronics burning. Thankfully it whimpered out and all my components attached were not damaged.

But now I am left wondering what was at fault...

Well...considering this particular UPS you can "hop swap" the battery ... my guess would be the battery.  I couldn't tell by your description ... but did it practically destroy the UPS (assuming yes)?  Have you used BTI (I've never heard of them) in the past?

Just now, jjkusaf said:

Well...considering this particular UPS you can "hop swap" the battery ... my guess would be the battery.  I couldn't tell by your description ... but did it practically destroy the UPS (assuming yes)?  Have you used BTI (I've never heard of them) in the past?

Working in the field I've always been using BTI batteries as replacements. Obviously this is the first time I've had any issue.

I unplugged the UPS immediately and then disconnected the battery. I haven't touched it since.

Just now, Bryan R. said:

Working in the field I've always been using BTI batteries as replacements. Obviously this is the first time I've had any issue.

I unplugged the UPS immediately and then disconnected the battery. I haven't touched it since.

Gotcha.  If you are not familiar with the UPS (since it is a client's and not yours) ... it could very well be the UPS which caused it.  Was the battery not holding charge the only issue with the UPS...prior to the fireworks?  That is the only reason I'm suspecting the battery (introducing something new to a previously working system).  

Anyway ...  try the battery again (if it is safe to do so) ... and bring some marshmallows if it catches fire again. :) 

9 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Gotcha.  If you are not familiar with the UPS (since it is a client's and not yours) ... it could very well be the UPS which caused it.  Was the battery not holding charge the only issue with the UPS...prior to the fireworks?  That is the only reason I'm suspecting the battery (introducing something new to a previously working system).  

Anyway ...  try the battery again (if it is safe to do so) ... and bring some marshmallows if it catches fire again. :) 

This UPS was actually mine, under my desk at home. It has been beeping occasionally  that the battery needs replacing for a couple months. I finally got around to ordering one. I may try it again without anything attached if there is no risk.

5 minutes ago, Bryan R. said:

This UPS was actually mine, under my desk at home. It has been beeping occasionally  that the battery needs replacing for a couple months. I finally got around to ordering one. I may try it again without anything attached if there is no risk.

No risk.  Aside from the battery possibly exploding...which could end bad for you.  Maybe try the old battery again ... just to see if it shoots sparks again?  Anyway, dunno what to tell ya ... I would be inclined (if it were mine) to toss both the UPS and battery (wouldn't want my house to burn down knowing that UPS was the reason).  If you are going to fiddle with it ... wear some eye protection ... just in case.

How old is that model??  Those are what circa 2010?  Those have clearly been discontinued by apc..  So you had sparks and fire and smell of stuff melted..

"The typical bubbles smell of electronics burning"

Yeah time for NEW ups...  You could try returning the battery if not all smoked, or get warranty on it that is blew up your ups, etc.  But its time for new ups..  Unless your ok with possible house burning down while your sleeping in it?

• Like 2

As @BudMan says I would just chuck the entire lot out and get a new unit. I was asked to test a UPS once and as soon as I connected the power lead the unit blew up and I got a shock but I could have killed. Lease to say that there was nothing hooked up to it and it smoked the whole room out. When in doubt don't do it.

Yeah since the battery is from Amazon, I'll try a return of the battery and call it a day. I'll shop for a newer model. It served me well. RIP.