Many of you are aware of Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), a "toolkit for deploying and configuring security mitigation technologies." EMET, among other things, provides users with an interface to configure security technologies native to Windows such as ASLR introduced in Windows Vista or SEHOP introduced in Windows Vista SP1 / Windows Server 2008. It is surely not intended for general consumer use because of potential issues with application compatibility, and because disabling features that are already active (e.g., Data Execution Prevention) can increase the probability of a successful attack.

EMET.png EMET 2.png

However, the latest version of EMET, version 5.51, offers a total of 47 different skins for users to customize the interface, including skins that would appeal to a consumer audience (e.g., a Halloween or Pumpkin skin). While at least one of these—High Contrast—is intended for accessibility purposes, I would argue that most of the other skins are not. Not only is this strange when one considers the application's target audience and its purpose, but this is probably also the only application from Microsoft that offers this many ways to customize an interface.

Can anyone think of a reason why? The EMET user guide provides almost no information about the skinning feature.

weird, that's not Microsoft skins, those are DevExpress skins!

Why in the world is a MS product using DevExpress's theming engine, the D icon on the "EMET Style" and the names like mcskin and pumpin are dead give aways to a devexpress developer

48 minutes ago, neufuse said:

weird, that's not Microsoft skins, those are DevExpress skins!

Why in the world is a MS product using DevExpress's theming engine, the D icon on the "EMET Style" and the names like mcskin and pumpin are dead give aways to a devexpress developer

They are using devexpress framework. 

5 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

They are using devexpress framework. 

yeah, but it's weird that they are showing the themes, that's what I was getting at.... you don't have to have a theme gallery on the ribbon or a theme selector, it's like they were just trying to fill space

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

yeah, but it's weird that they are showing the themes, that's what I was getting at.... you don't have to have a theme gallery on the ribbon or a theme selector, it's like they were just trying to fill space

I think that the theme gallery is unusual, especially when one considers the application's target audience and purpose.

Downloaded and installed. While there are some themes are not needed I felt that some of then are useful. I already settled on VS 2013 Dark theme. Yes there is too many themes but having a choice is a good thing. Had there only be High Contrast I think I would be in trouble at night time when I like to use dark themes whenever possible. 

I love programs that have a ribbonish UI and offer such customization One third party example is FolderSizes (which I should note doubles as a file browser that can bypass NTFS ACLs if you run it under a user account that has "Perform volume maintenance tasks" and Backup privileges assigned to it -- very useful for deleting old Windows installations without erasing the partition). 

I wish more software offered such vast customability in UI choice. 

Once I get into development, I'll probably be using this framework for GUI programs. 

Also FolderSizes is another example of a program used mostly under professional environments. The cheapest license is $60 and its feature set is geared toward professionals. 

1pykT5v.png

Edited by DeusProto