Kaby Lake will stop you from recording video streams

Technology prevention of the week:

This video engine also enforces anti-piracy DRM protections as required by the major studios. Hollywood bosses didn't want to stream 4K ultra high-def content from their studios' websites without mechanisms in place to thwart casual rippers, and so Intel gave the entertainment giants what they wanted.

I wonder how AMD processors are doing this year... :angry:

This reminds me of Vista's DRM APIs (Protected Media Path) and HDCP content protection ##### developed by none other than Intel.

Edited by zhangm
Do not bypass swear filter

On the software side as well as the hardware side the desktop is under constant attack but anti-consumer moves such as this one will be easily bypassed in time.

Is this decoding unit part of the onboard GPU, or part of the CPU? I was under the impression most modern video playback is hardware accelerated rather than CPU driven.

8 hours ago, Order_66 said:

On the software side as well as the hardware side the desktop is under constant attack but anti-consumer moves such as this one will be easily bypassed in time.

How is trying to prevent piracy anti-consumer? We're talking STREAMING.

Want the full version? Buy a Blu-ray.

• Like 2

Please don't mix up streaming with illegal contents. The whole point of this anti-feature is to disallow free access to video streams which you are officially allowed to watch. 

6 minutes ago, th3rEsa said:

Please don't mix up streaming with illegal contents. The whole point of this anti-feature is to disallow free access to video streams which you are officially allowed to watch

Legal to watch, not legal to record and potentially redistribute.

7 hours ago, th3rEsa said:

Conserving things is not the same as redistribution. 

It doesn't matter what your opinion is, if you don't have a legal right to save something then it is still a "crime".

Just now, exotoxic said:

It doesn't matter what your opinion is, if you don't have a legal right to save something then it is still a "crime".

Who are you to determine if a consumer's actions are illegal? This could also hamper legit things. Again, the freedom lost is the lack of choice.

• Like 2

I have the legal right to process legally acquired digital data on a machine which is allowed to access these data in any way I want it to as long as I don't breach the copyright laws. There is no copyright involved in saving my own streams though. 

7 hours ago, th3rEsa said:

Please don't mix up streaming with illegal contents. The whole point of this anti-feature is to disallow free access to video streams which you are officially allowed to watch. 

video streams such as any random video stream?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Who are you to determine if a consumer's actions are illegal? This could also hamper legit things. Again, the freedom lost is the lack of choice.

Not me, the content owners. It is their property they decided what people who purchase a license can and cannot do with it.

As it is their property, they can decide about my rights to access it. Nothing more, nothing less. Given that streaming already is downloading, they basically try to cut my rights to decide about what happens on my own computer.

IMO their rights end where my network connection begins. I must not share their stuff without permission, but they don't have the right to decide what happens inside the machine they allowed to access their stuff.