GT Sport Delayed, Sometime 2017.

Gran Turismo Sport Update

Posted by Kazunori Yamauchi on Aug 30, 2016 // Founder of Polyphony Digital, Creator of Gran Turismo

Hello GT Community — I am sharing some news today that we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of Gran Turismo Sport to 2017. GT Sport is Polyphony’s foremost competitive gaming title, with high expectations from both the fans and from within our team.

From the start this title has been one of our most ambitious undertakings by using the latest technologies, such as physics-based rendering and sound simulations, and Scapes photo mode. In combining these features with a new Sport mode, we are offering a competitive gaming experience to truly reinvent what it means to be a racing game. We’ve been excited and humbled by the response each time that we’ve shared new gameplay with everyone.

However, as we approach our planned release date in November, we realize we need more time to perfect GT Sport, which we’ve already dedicated so much effort towards since announcing the title. We do not want to compromise the experience in any way. While we cannot confirm a new release date at this time, we are more committed than ever to making GT Sport the best Gran Turismo game to date.

GT Sport will continue to be shown at several gaming events around the world. I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience first-hand the yet-to-be revealed cutting edge experiences that will be achieved by GT Sport.

Thank you for all your continued support.

Here.

The fact we don't have any hard 2017 time window makes me believe mid year at best. Surely it couldn't be delayed enough to release at the same time as Forza 7 but who knows.

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Also they'd rather not compete with Horizons 3

Considering MS has released a Forza every year since 2011, I doubt PD care about it. If not Horizon 3 this year, it'll be FM7 next year. Plus there was a 2 month gap between FH3 and GTS anyway. Had they released in the same month or just 1 or 2 weeks apart, sure, it's an issue. 2 months is enough to digest one and pick up another for most gamer's and their budgets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Great that they are listening to feedback from this year to polish it more.

Polish what but exactly... 4 years and 150 cars? Turn 10 have nearly released an extra 150 cars in the last 12 months since Forza 6 launched. This isn't a go at you in anyway at all just PD's and Kaz's way of handling these releases its frustrating as hell. Sony either need to put the boot in or they need to out source or expand the development team. 4 years into a consoles life and still no dedicated racer or the systems biggest seller? And what we do get is a stop gap when it finally comes, GT7 will be a PS5 release at this rate or in the final year of the PS4's life like GT6 was.

I think honestly the game just isn't ready, and when it does launch I still expect game size patches launch month. I think the biggest worry is this is an online only game for the majority, and we know regardless it will sell millions day 1. Can Sony and their servers handle that? Or do we expect months and months of problems? Driveclub problems is all I expect but please prove me wrong PD.

23 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Polish what but exactly... 4 years and 150 cars? Turn 10 have nearly released an extra 150 cars in the last 12 months since Forza 6 launched. This isn't a go at you in anyway at all just PD's and Kaz's way of handling these releases its frustrating as hell. Sony either need to put the boot in or they need to out source or expand the development team. 4 years into a consoles life and still no dedicated racer or the systems biggest seller? And what we do get is a stop gap when it finally comes, GT7 will be a PS5 release at this rate or in the final year of the PS4's life like GT6 was.

I think honestly the game just isn't ready, and when it does launch I still expect game size patches launch month. I think the biggest worry is this is an online only game for the majority, and we know regardless it will sell millions day 1. Can Sony and their servers handle that? Or do we expect months and months of problems? Driveclub problems but larger is all I expect but I hope to be proven wrong.

Where are you getting 4 years from? Neither of them are even 3 years old.

GT Sport isn't a stop gap either; Kaz said it is a full entry and new era for the series. I keep telling you not to expect GT1 - 6 levels of cars or modes, they've been very thorough in explaining what the game is geared towards. I don't know what you expect, but it's probably time to stop comparing car counts and 1:1 mode parity with Forza. As for game sized day one patches, they aren't exactly alone in that department or genre!

I can't remember any previous GT game having server issues at launch, or any other racing game besides DriveClub for that matter. Evo screwed up that server code and config, rather than demand causing the issues (although it obviously didn't help).

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Where are you getting 4 years from? Neither of them are even 3 years old.

GT Sport isn't a stop gap either; Kaz said it is a full entry and new era for the series. I keep telling you not to expect GT1 - 6 levels of cars or modes, they've been very thorough in explaining what the game is geared towards. I don't know what you expect, but it's probably time to stop comparing car counts and 1:1 mode parity with Forza. As for game sized day one patches, they aren't exactly alone in that department or genre!

I can't remember any previous GT game having server issues at launch, or any other racing game besides DriveClub for that matter. Evo screwed up that server code and config, rather than demand causing the issues (although it obviously didn't help).

4 years is the time we'll be looking at or close to once this gets out the door, I don't think we'll be seeing it first quarter otherwise we would have gotten a more solid date than 2017. So second half? 3rd quarter? 

Yes, geared towards e-sports we get that. Something I don't think I ever heard any of us or the fans ask for. If people where given a choice would the majority want an online only racer or the GT we love with the online aspects still as well? There's no reason in the time they've had to develop we didn't get a solid GT with e-sports/online attached. Comparing cars and tracks is the only thing we can roughly compare what time is spent on and the amount of content compared to others and their past games it feels like a stop gap (prologue).

Less tracks.

Less cars, ridiculously less. (I expect more DLC than any racer has before here)

No campaign.

So where has 3 years been spent, Creating online race events?  PD when they deliver, deliver good games. Defending how efficient they are, or development cycles but.

• 1 month later...