Posting

On 31/08/2016 at 4:29 PM, adrynalyne said:

It happens mostly from mobile devices. You tap save, and it says Saving... hangs, and when it finishes it will often duplicate. Its not a connectivity issue; it does it on LTE and WiFi as well. I've never seen it happen on a PC. I suspect that the browser times out without getting a 200 from the server after a successful posting, refreshes, causing a new POST and you get copies.

I'm glad you said mostly, as it's happening to me on desktop use

On 8/31/2016 at 11:29 AM, adrynalyne said:

It happens mostly from mobile devices. You tap save, and it says Saving... hangs, and when it finishes it will often duplicate. Its not a connectivity issue; it does it on LTE and WiFi as well. I've never seen it happen on a PC. I suspect that the browser times out without getting a 200 from the server after a successful posting, refreshes, causing a new POST and you get copies.

I get this on a PC, I just wait and it takes awhile but the post will go thru. If you refresh you will get a duplicate post, This is definitely a forum or forum server problem.

17 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Soft deleting avoids long term mistakes and allows the Supervisors to keep tabs on what is being deleted/hidden.

And in case Hillary Clinton posts on here, and the FBI investigates. :shiftyninja:

6 hours ago, Gary7 said:

This is still going on and the Random Text Thread is showing up on the main page.

This is still going on and the Random Text Thread is showing up on the main page.

@DaveLegg

This kind of duplicating happens regularly, too...

Eh till it's fixed, the workaround for the posting a new comment after replying to someone in the news article (not forum post) is to reply to a comment, and then physically reload the page before making a new comment.

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Eh till it's fixed, the workaround for the posting a new comment after replying to someone in the news article (not forum post) is to reply to a comment, and then physically reload the page before making a new comment.

My trouble comes from when I am replying in the forum side of things (Just saying).

35 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

My trouble comes from when I am replying in the forum side of things (Just saying).

Yeah that is double post bug. The one I mentioned happens when reply and then doing a new comment brah.

On 9/1/2016 at 8:04 AM, DaveLegg said:

Which reply button? Is this on the news side of things, rather than in the forums?

I'm talking about the little curved arrow reply button. Not sure about the news side of things or the forums, but the only articles Ii ever read are from the front page, whether they're in the main section of the front page or the articles at the top right.

Haven't ever seen where the quotes disappear after refreshing page, as Steven mentions though.

1 hour ago, cork1958 said:

but the only articles Ii ever read are from the front page

Then that's news. Currently I believe it's intentionally quoting the post you reply to, but we're going to look at possibly changing that as one of a few fixes / improvements to the news comments functionality

17 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

Then that's news. Currently I believe it's intentionally quoting the post you reply to, but we're going to look at possibly changing that as one of a few fixes / improvements to the news comments functionality

You must have already done something about always quoting when just hitting the reply button and then the quote disappearing after refreshing, as I just had that happen in the article about Lindsey Lohan's lawsuit story?

I get the impression that double posts happen when too many people submit posts at one time.

After hitting Save, it lags for several seconds, then I know there is going to be 2 posts.

Like the posting is being held in a buffer, after it went thru a first time.

Of course, I don't know how it all works ... :/

I've made some changes on the servers that should speed up the posting of replies - particularly in popular threads. It seems the issue was that sending notification emails was unusually slow. I've swapped out sendmail for postfix, and that seems to have made a 10x improvement in the speed of sending out emails in testing. Hopefully that will sort it out, we'll keep our eyes out though.

On 04/09/2016 at 11:03 AM, DaveLegg said:

I've made some changes on the servers that should speed up the posting of replies - particularly in popular threads. It seems the issue was that sending notification emails was unusually slow. I've swapped out sendmail for postfix, and that seems to have made a 10x improvement in the speed of sending out emails in testing. Hopefully that will sort it out, we'll keep our eyes out though.

People actually use that feature? Wow... I tried it once, ages ago... and after getting 100's of emails a day, I turned it off pretty quick!

On 9/4/2016 at 6:03 AM, DaveLegg said:

I think it worked Dave, Thanks