is java programming recommended these days?

Question

I've been reading about the vulnerabilities and security issues associated with java. Is programming in java (and to start learning java development) still hot these days or should I look into other languages?

19 minutes ago, DevTech said:

All of the languages descended from C, such as C++, Java, C# etc have similar language constructs. You are actually referring to "Java the Ecosystem" where a base of Libraries, servers and general social conventions can sway a language choice. It's a criteria that could be important to some and not important to others.

Somebody forgot to tell Markus Persson that Java was for Business applications as he went on to make one of the most successful software games of all time, in Java.

Again, Java is not my language of choice, but it is also not limited in any way other than some cross platform awkwardness.(and I get the irony of that)

Well yeah you can use Java for almost anything you want to, you have to agree it is pretty well suited for business applications though :)

Minecraft is a bit of an exception to the rule IMHO. Not many games get to the level that Minecraft got to. 

10 minutes ago, satysin said:

Well yeah you can use Java for almost anything you want to, you have to agree it is pretty well suited for business applications though :)

Minecraft is a bit of an exception to the rule IMHO. Not many games get to the level that Minecraft got to. 

Yeah I'm not a fan of using edge cases to prove anything but Minecraft was too juicy to resist.

Because of Hadoop and Spark, Java has become the big player in Big Data and Machine Learning which is a different category than business applications. R, Python and C++ are a the other main players in that area. In fact, Big Data is a great example of an area where you would have to know at least those 4 languages to feel confident as a programmer.Guess I will have to find some spare time to study R, just in case...

On 9/6/2016 at 10:23 PM, DevTech said:

To play with C# as a language, you just need to install .NET Core:

https://www.microsoft.com/net/core#macos

To develop for many of the platform/device targets that C# enables such as UWP, you would need a VM

(although an ideal setup would be to install Windows 10 Pro version native on the hardware so you get the super-efficient Hyper-V and then run Windows and MacOS in Hyper-V VMs...)

Hehe, this thread got into a little tangent...

I have a desktop pc, but I use my macbook pro 99% of the time...besides, what's the point of macOS in VM?

Now it's time to dwell into these c# books...

13 minutes ago, ultimate99 said:

Hehe, this thread got into a little tangent...

I have a desktop pc, but I use my macbook pro 99% of the time...besides, what's the point of macOS in VM?

Now it's time to dwell into these c# books...

From a developer point of view the point of wiping MacOS off the Mac is to install Hyper-V on the bare metal (which is the only way it can run since it is a Hyperviser)

On Windows 10 with Hyper-V enabled there is zero noticeable impact from essentially running Windows 10 in a VM all the time so I am guessing that running MacOS as a Hyper-V guest would be similarly efficient but it's just a guess.

If I have time, I will try to test that theory for you (on a non-Mac laptop) by running MacOS in a VM.

From my point of view this config would be 100% gain with zero disadvantage since I have yet to find a good usage case for MacOS and if I ever purchased a Mac, MacOS would be gone and tucked away in a VM within minutes. I have absolutely nothing against the abstract idea of MacOS as an O/S - it's just too limiting for the wide variety of things I like to do on a computer.

There is no real point to this posting, I'm just going with the tangent theme here because there is zero chance anyone reading this that owns a Mac would repave it with Windows 10 since social factors always outweigh technical factors, but there is a logic to it that was worth mentioning.

It should still be possible to construct a decent setup with a Windows10 VM that would permit testing most of the C# deployment targets. And if your desktop is modern enough, you can turn on Hyper-V for that and Remote Desktop to it, and also Remote Debug.

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

From a developer point of view the point of wiping MacOS off the Mac is to install Hyper-V on the bare metal (which is the only way it can run since it is a Hyperviser)

On Windows 10 with Hyper-V enabled there is zero noticeable impact from essentially running Windows 10 in a VM all the time so I am guessing that running MacOS as a Hyper-V guest would be similarly efficient but it's just a guess.

If I have time, I will try to test that theory for you (on a non-Mac laptop) by running MacOS in a VM.

From my point of view this config would be 100% gain with zero disadvantage since I have yet to find a good usage case for MacOS and if I ever purchased a Mac, MacOS would be gone and tucked away in a VM within minutes. I have absolutely nothing against the abstract idea of MacOS as an O/S - it's just too limiting for the wide variety of things I like to do on a computer.

There is no real point to this posting, I'm just going with the tangent theme here because there is zero chance anyone reading this that owns a Mac would repave it with Windows 10 since social factors always outweigh technical factors, but there is a logic to it that was worth mentioning.

It should still be possible to construct a decent setup with a Windows10 VM that would permit testing most of the C# deployment targets. And if your desktop is modern enough, you can turn on Hyper-V for that and Remote Desktop to it, and also Remote Debug.

specs are in my sig.

9 minutes ago, ultimate99 said:

specs are in my sig.

All-righty-then you can turn on Hyper-V on that powerful desktop, install VS2015 and any dev software including the Ubuntu user mode "Bash shell" and then access it all remotely which could work well if the network is wired gigabit and maybe well on AC wireless.

I have never tried that myself, but some people do ALL their dev work like that. (I think the GPU can be virtualized as well but I can't remember if that is Server only)

8 hours ago, DevTech said:

All-righty-then you can turn on Hyper-V on that powerful desktop, install VS2015 and any dev software including the Ubuntu user mode "Bash shell" and then access it all remotely which could work well if the network is wired gigabit and maybe well on AC wireless.

I have never tried that myself, but some people do ALL their dev work like that. (I think the GPU can be virtualized as well but I can't remember if that is Server only)

That's interesting, might try that, put less load on my mac.

On 4.9.2016 at 1:16 AM, ultimate99 said:

Is programming in java (and to start learning java development) still hot these days or should I look into other languages?

Yes, you should look into other languages. If you want to learn programming in the first place, I recommend, in descending order of being an interesting and valuable experience for beginners:

1. C++,
  2. Common Lisp,
  3. Perl,

4. Python.

All of them have great free books and tutorials available (I, personally, recommend Wikibooks for your first attempt)