Best Place for Wi-Fi Router in the Real World

While I've seen loads of pictures showing the router on the ceiling looking all nice, that's not really practical for the most without a lot of fiddling.

Im moving home and because the cable box isn't actually present inside the house, I'll have to call an engineer out to install one.

I'm already going to ask for a much longer data cable, but power will be a limiting factor, although I could make a long single plug extension cable - in fact I may already have one.

Would the side of a fireplace be suitable? There is a stud wall no more than half a metre opposite so this is another possible location, but it means hassle as I'll have to feed the data cable around the chimney breast.

Apart from high and central to the house, I can't really think of anything else I need. Will be able to get some photos tomorrow possibly.

The router is not in the ceiling, an AP (access point) is and it is the best place.. Center of the coverage area you want.  How big is the home?  How many floors?  Do you not have attic or basement to run wires in to get to different rooms?  The AP in the you see mounted in the ceiling or on the wall get power from the etherent cable that connects it to your network so no need for running a power line to it.  It's called POE (power over ethernet)..

While you might think its a bit of fiddling - you really should look into proper placement if you want good wifi coverage.  Hire someone if you need too.