Do you live in a loop?

Hello there.

Do you have a routine in your life? Do you live in a loop?

Have you found yourself doing the same thing every day? 

Such as waking up every day at the exact time? 

I have found myself waking up, getting up from, bed, brushing my teeth, arriving at work, doing hobbies almost every day at the exact time

Having the same conversations with friends about my life, what makes me feel good and bad.

I live in a routine, in my own program loop and it makes me losing interest, fewer things surprise me as I grow up.

Do you live in such as loop?

Have you accepted it? 

1 minute ago, MariosX said:

You must be old enough to retire. 

I am younger than you.

Ha yea I turned 68 a few days ago..Retirement is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially with bad body parts.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

No, I have kids.

Really? I thought a routine was literally the best way to deal with having kids?

As its the end of the 6 weeks holiday we are a little out of that but before hand it was pretty much the same thing 5 days a week;

Wake up

Make a cuppa for me and the misses

make packed lunch for Daughter

Get ready
Cycle to work
Work
Cycle home

<insert slim chance of going for a run>

Shower
Eat
Watch a bit of TV/Xbox
Sleep

I don't think living life in a routine is that bad to be honest, especially when it comes to the working week. Sure you need to break that routine once in a while to keep your sanity but other than that I'm pretty happy with living like that.

16 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Really? I thought a routine was literally the best way to deal with having kids?

As its the end of the 6 weeks holiday we are a little out of that but before hand it was pretty much the same thing 5 days a week;

Wake up

Make a cuppa for me and the misses

make packed lunch for Daughter

Get ready
Cycle to work
Work
Cycle home

<insert slim chance of going for a run>

Shower
Eat
Watch a bit of TV/Xbox
Sleep

I don't think living life in a routine is that bad to be honest, especially when it comes to the working week. Sure you need to break that routine once in a while to keep your sanity but other than that I'm pretty happy with living like that.

In theory,  yes. In reality it's

Wake up (at whatever time they want, usually an hour or two early)

Make a cuppa (eventually, after they've demanded to have cocopops whilst watching TV but then decide they want toast, your cuppa is now cold)

Get ready (they cannot do this until they've finished playing - cue the tantrums)

Work (Kids at nursery, bliss)

Come home

Make dinner (Kids take anything up to an hour to actually finish)

Try and get jobs done (but get distracted every 2 minutes because they are fighting / arguing / screaming / killing each other so job is left half done for another time)

Get them to bed (They will use every trick in the book to delay this)

Sit down to watch TV (Get back up again to tell them to go to sleep and repeat a few times)

Sleep

I suppose it's a bit of a routine, just doesn't have a specific start time or end time and the content of the routine is anyone's guess.

I don't want to put my routine down as it'll make me depressed, but yes, most work days are the same. I get the evenings to do what I want, but the usual 6am 5-pm routine is near much identical.

At least my weekends don't follow the same or i'd go stir-crazy.

Haven't ever called it a loop. More like a rut, but yes, quite the loop here and has been for years, especially since becoming disabled/retired 5 years ago.

I do do things to break up the monotony once in a while though. Helps keep peace of mind. I'd have to say I was in more of a loop when working though. Not as much time to come up with doing something different.

Having kids/family, I think it is a very different life.
You have responsibilities as a parent and I kinda think family/kids make you live in a routine no more.

Because you have to take care of them and guide them through life. A parent also has a major role as a teacher, teaching them to have manners, communicate with other people and if they have bad grades, their teacher has to tell you about it.

However, living alone in your own apartment, whether you have a spouse or not, you live in a routine/loop and it's boring.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

In theory,  yes. In reality it's

Wake up (at whatever time they want, usually an hour or two early)

Make a cuppa (eventually, after they've demanded to have cocopops whilst watching TV but then decide they want toast, your cuppa is now cold)

Get ready (they cannot do this until they've finished playing - cue the tantrums)

Work (Kids at nursery, bliss)

Come home

Make dinner (Kids take anything up to an hour to actually finish)

Try and get jobs done (but get distracted every 2 minutes because they are fighting / arguing / screaming / killing each other so job is left half done for another time)

Get them to bed (They will use every trick in the book to delay this)

Sit down to watch TV (Get back up again to tell them to go to sleep and repeat a few times)

Sleep

I suppose it's a bit of a routine, just doesn't have a specific start time or end time and the content of the routine is anyone's guess.

Thankfully only the one kid and she's now 11 so most of that is a thing of the past as she's a lot more self-reliant :)

Yes I do. I helps me feel occupied. It is boring, but the orderly lifestyle makes my mind relaxed as I don't have to think to what to do next. Fact is, I find weekends boring since I got nothing to do with that spare time. I deviate from that loop occasionally when I'm travelling out of town since it knocks out my sleep cycle, but when I get normal, I can't imagine doing anything else than follow the loop. Even on weekends, I'd imagine what I would be doing at this time of the day, and wait for Monday. Can't think of a life beyond this, yet I am satisfied with it.

18 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Well, anything can be a loop.

Breakfast

RU

Lunch

RU

Dinner.

RU

Fill in with Random Useless activities (including work, recreation and whatnot)

Got your priorities right, anything other than food is useless :D

• Like 1

Both me and my long time girlfriend are both entrepreneurs and we work out of our home. We don't really have a schedule at all. We just go to sleep at whatever ungodly hour and wake up whenever we feel comfortable enough to get on with the day or when we need to for work. We have the polar opposite of a set daily routine. Some people are so religious about their mornings and probably even their daily stool specimen.

21 hours ago, Tomo said:

No, I have kids.

Yes, I have kids.

My days now run like clockwork since having twin girls. If they aren't in bed by a certain time they're screaming the house down.

19 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

Due to the nature of my work, I spend the day in a WordPress loop :(

The worst loop on the planet.

Sure, I have a routine - a rather rigid one in fact. Unless I'm vacationing here is the basic process. I get up at the same time every day (05:00). Eat the same breakfast. I shower at the same time every day. I eat the same lunch at the same time every day. I sit down with my wife for dinner every day at the same time and finally go to bed at 21:30 every night.  What I do BETWEEN those times may vary day to day but the basic schedule is the same. Is this boring? For some I suppose it would be. I like being able to know that no matter how crazy the work day may get it's still surrounded by structure. 

• Like 1

Wake up at 6am, hit snooze, wake up at 6:05, hit snooze, wake up 6:10, hit snooze (or so I thought), wake up at 6:45[expletive deleted]!!!

Have shower so fast it doesn't have time to get warm

Put on socks before feet are dry

brush my teeth while wrestling with dogs

go to train station

sleep for another hour on train

wake up to an empty train at the end of the line that is thankfully my stop, leave train and look stupid

Walk KM to work
walk around with a piece of paper in my hand at a hurried pace to appear busy

round out the edges of my higher ups as hard work doesn't get promotions, rapport does and just enough work

do about 30-45 minutes of real actual work

*eight hours later*

walk KM to train

work for an hour on personal webdev project

arrive home, walk dogs, watch TV with wife, bitch about everyone we know, cook dinner

put her to bed early because she's a responsible human being

stay up until 2am playing games or working on projects

lay wide awake in bed at 3am knowing I'm going to absolutely hate waking up tomorrow.

repeat until weekend, party like it's 1984

43 minutes ago, astropheed said:

Wake up at 6am, hit snooze, wake up at 6:05, hit snooze, wake up 6:10, hit snooze (or so I thought), wake up at 6:45[expletive deleted]!!!

Have shower so fast it doesn't have time to get warm

Put on socks before feet are dry

brush my teeth while wrestling with dogs

go to train station

sleep for another hour on train

wake up to an empty train at the end of the line that is thankfully my stop, leave train and look stupid

Walk KM to work
walk around with a piece of paper in my hand at a hurried pace to appear busy

round out the edges of my higher ups as hard work doesn't get promotions, rapport does and just enough work

do about 30-45 minutes of real actual work

*eight hours later*

walk KM to train

work for an hour on personal webdev project

arrive home, walk dogs, watch TV with wife, bitch about everyone we know, cook dinner

put her to bed early because she's a responsible human being

stay up until 2am playing games or working on projects

lay wide awake in bed at 3am knowing I'm going to absolutely hate waking up tomorrow.

repeat until weekend, party like it's 1984

i don't envy you. 30-45 minutes of actual work.

so you think your job is meaningless.   well, a lot of people do, but i think that i put at least of 4 hours of concentrated hard work, between distractions. 

and when i don't, i feel i wasted a day.

going to bed a 2, fall asleep at 3,  to get up at 6?   

i hope you are still very young.  because this not look like something you will be able to sustain past 30, without serious health issues.   

i have lived a weird lifestyles myself, but past 30, i am trying to get my 7+ hours sleep, and i feel more alive because of it. chronic under-sleeping catches up to you. :(