PlayStation Meeting 2016

49 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

4k MIGHT be 25% of NEW TV sales...maybe. But people don't replace TVs yearly and there is no way it's that high of a percentage of TVs in active use. Most TVs in active use are likely several years old.

As for HDR it's a software update so it's not like it took any focus from the hardware design of the system.

I would argue its a lot higher than 25% on new sales, 95% of new TV's above 55" would be 4K in Australian shops. You would have to go out of your way to find one not 4K and would be a subpar chinese set. I have friends who work at JB HiFi (Australia's largert retailer) and every TV they sell besides cheap sets for the childrens rooms are 4K. It's hard to find statistics on this but, and I'm sure it would vary country to country as well. Anyone shopping for a new TV today right now wouldn't be looking at anything but 4K unless size is an issue. 

Can only find this article about market penetration (sets inside homes) being around 50% by 2020. TV's being one of those items your right only replaced every 5-10 years for people not on such a high disposable income. 

http://www.channelnews.com.au/4k-uhd-tvs-to-be-48-of-the-market-within-4-years/

1 hour ago, Asmodai said:

4k MIGHT be 25% of NEW TV sales...maybe. But people don't replace TVs yearly and there is no way it's that high of a percentage of TVs in active use. Most TVs in active use are likely several years old.

As for HDR it's a software update so it's not like it took any focus from the hardware design of the system.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/2016040742376/trendforce-4ktv-penetration-to-pass-23-in-2016.html

Almost a quarter of the world’s population will own a 4K TV set by the end of 2016, with Chinese manufacturers poised to take a large chunk of the LCD market, according to Trendforce.

i am very mixed on what I saw from the PS4 Pro (i liked the Neo name better)

i was impressed on the "magic" they used to upscale the games.. they did look amazing

seems like the same magic Remedy used w/Quantum Break... Just on beefier hardware

$399 is the biggest applause, I'll give Sony, i would of went $429 and just threw in the 4K Blu-Ray Drive and just ate the cost if there were a difference.

But I know Sony refuses to lose anymore $$$ on console hardware.

Just now, soniqstylz said:

So just read an unconfirmed rumor that TLOU will have a patch to run native 4K/30fps

It is confirmed, it's getting a native 4K patch.

ESO is another native 4K game, but you can see below why

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Found another reason to hold off playing, @Audioboxer :rofl:

:laugh:

And I'm not believing that lie. You'd be playing it at 1080/60 anyway. Not 30 stinking FPS.

Also first mention of 4K/60 but of course, it'll end up indie and/or not visually taxing games

I work at Hi-Rez Studios, makers of SMITE.

We currently have SMITE running at 4K, 60FPS on a PS4 Pro dev kit, so the hardware is definitely capable of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/51n52n/ps4_pro_announced_399111016/d7dathb

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

I would argue its a lot higher than 25% on new sales, 95% of new TV's above 55" would be 4K in Australian shops. You would have to go out of your way to find one not 4K and would be a subpar chinese set. I have friends who work at JB HiFi (Australia's largert retailer) and every TV they sell besides cheap sets for the childrens rooms are 4K. It's hard to find statistics on this but, and I'm sure it would vary country to country as well. Anyone shopping for a new TV today right now wouldn't be looking at anything but 4K unless size is an issue. 

The 25% stat was soniqstylz not mine and as such I have no intention of arguing how true it is one way or another, my "MIGHT...maybe" comment was intended to express my doubt that he had a valid source for that number not that I didn't think it reached that number specifically.  My actual point was that most TVs people actively use aren't 4k right now and I stand by that no matter what the specific percentage of NEW sales may be.  Most people don't buy new TVs yearly.

14 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Can only find this article about market penetration (sets inside homes) being around 50% by 2020. TV's being one of those items your right only replaced every 5-10 years for people not on such a high disposable income. 

http://www.channelnews.com.au/4k-uhd-tvs-to-be-48-of-the-market-within-4-years/

That article then supports my argument.  Thank you for saving me the time of looking up a source.  Again, my argument is that most people don't currently have 4k TVs.  According to your source not only is that true but it is expected to continue to be true for the next four years... which happens to be two years beyond my anticipated release year of the 4k disc supporting PS5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soniqstylz said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.

In my post I simply stated "Most people don't have 4k TVs yet anyway."

The 25% number was yours and frankly I don't care what the specific number is... unless it's > 50% which would disprove my "Most people don't have 4k TVs yet anyway" statement.  If it's 20% or 25% or 30% makes no difference to the point I was making and you replied to.

That being said your own quote in fact DISPROVES your original stat.  The quote is:

"ALMOST a quarter of the world’s population will own a 4K TV set by the end of 2016, with Chinese manufacturers poised to take a large chunk of the LCD market, according to Trendforce."

"Almost" means it's not a quarter yet but they anticipate it will reach there by the end of 2016.  Considering a good number of sales likely come in the Black Friday and Christmas holiday shopping season it's probably a good ways away from 25% right now.  Again though if it is 25% specifically or not doesn't change the fact that MOST (i.e. > 50%) of households don't own 4k TVs right now anyway so there isn't a huge rush for Sony to have a 4k movie disc player in their gaming console.  According to Vandalsquad's source they don't even expect it to hit 50% until 2020 which is likely years after the PS5 comes out which will almost certainly have a 4k disc player.

• Like 2

This is a good listen from DF

Getting excited about the thought of some of the fall games getting a Pro patch (TLF/FF15).

Dat triple decker burger/heater is going to make some console games look amazing.

3 hours ago, Asmodai said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.

In my post I simply stated "Most people don't have 4k TVs yet anyway."

The 25% number was yours and frankly I don't care what the specific number is... unless it's > 50% which would disprove my "Most people don't have 4k TVs yet anyway" statement.  If it's 20% or 25% or 30% makes no difference to the point I was making and you replied to.

That being said your own quote in fact DISPROVES your original stat.  The quote is:

"ALMOST a quarter of the world’s population will own a 4K TV set by the end of 2016, with Chinese manufacturers poised to take a large chunk of the LCD market, according to Trendforce."

"Almost" means it's not a quarter yet but they anticipate it will reach there by the end of 2016.  Considering a good number of sales likely come in the Black Friday and Christmas holiday shopping season it's probably a good ways away from 25% right now.  Again though if it is 25% specifically or not doesn't change the fact that MOST (i.e. > 50%) of households don't own 4k TVs right now anyway so there isn't a huge rush for Sony to have a 4k movie disc player in their gaming console.  According to Vandalsquad's source they don't even expect it to hit 50% until 2020 which is likely years after the PS5 comes out which will almost certainly have a 4k disc player.

Ok now go back and check market penetration for 1080p or blu-ray when the PS3/360 came out.

A big chunk of the reason they do this is to move the tech forward, not worry about what's big now.  My point was that they were pushing the HDR which has an effect on the rendering of games but affects about 5% of TVs, but didn't put in a UHD blu-ray player which it should be able to do no sweat and would affect roughly 25% of TVs.

I first made the point about market penetration and you said that it would maybe be that 25% of NEW TVs would be 4k.  The point of my post was to refute it, that no indeed we are looking at nearly 25% market share worldwide (not just US numbers).

1 minute ago, soniqstylz said:

Ok now go back and check market penetration for 1080p or blu-ray when the PS3/360 came out.

And the Xbox 360 didn't even have a Blu-Ray player yet it heavily outsold the PS3 which did in the largest market (U.S.)  So why would Sony want to repeat that?  Clearly people don't care so much about the disc format, it certainly didn't help the PS3.  Furthermore the PS3 actually COULD use the expanded storage of the new media for games.  The PS4 Pro can't because it would render the disc unreadable on non-Pro PS4s.  Sony has a huge lead over the Xbox One with the PS4 and I don't think not putting a Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive on the PS4 Pro, even if the Xbox One S has one, is going to hurt that lead to any significant degree.  It's just not a big deal.

A big chunk of the reason they do this is to move the tech forward, not worry about what's big now.  My point was that they were pushing the HDR which has an effect on the rendering of games but affects about 5% of TVs, but didn't put in a UHD blu-ray player which it should be able to do no sweat and would affect roughly 25% of TVs.

Because HDR is a software patch that has ZERO hardware cost and applies to all consoles from launch forward.  An UHD Blu-Ray player in the Pro has increased hardware costs and effects only the fraction of their install base that ends up getting a Pro.  They got done what was cheaper/easier to do and they "push" what they got done.

I first made the point about market penetration and you said that it would maybe be that 25% of NEW TVs would be 4k.  The point of my post was to refute it, that no indeed we are looking at nearly 25% market share worldwide (not just US numbers).

I was making no statement there to refute.  I was just casting doubt on YOUR stat.  The 25% came from you and NOT me.  The "MIGHT...maybe" part again was meant to impart my doubt of your statistic being valid NOT to say I didn't think the number was that high specifically.  In rereading what I wrote after your first reply though I could see how it could be interpreted the other way and so I already clarified that in my last post.  Again, I don't care what the specific number is, I don't care if it's lower than 25 or higher than 25, heck I'll give you it's 30 or 40 if it makes you feel better.  It it no way contradicts my original claim of "Most people don't have 4k TVs anyway" that you replied to.  Heck even 49% is still not most...

Furthermore my doubt of your stat ended up being correct as you disproved your own claim with your "ALMOST a quarter... by the end of 2016" source.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

And the Xbox 360 didn't even have a Blu-Ray player yet it heavily outsold the PS3 which did in the largest market (U.S.)  So why would Sony want to repeat that?  Clearly people don't care so much about the disc format, it certainly didn't help the PS3.  Furthermore the PS3 actually COULD use the expanded storage of the new media for games.  The PS4 Pro can't because it would render the disc unreadable on non-Pro PS4s.  Sony has a huge lead over the Xbox One with the PS4 and I don't think not putting a Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive on the PS4 Pro, even if the Xbox One S has one, is going to hurt that lead to any significant degree.  It's just not a big deal.

Because HDR is a software patch that has ZERO hardware cost and applies to all consoles from launch forward.  An UHD Blu-Ray player in the Pro has increased hardware costs and effects only the fraction of their install base that ends up getting a Pro.  They got done what was cheaper/easier to do and they "push" what they got done.

I was making no statement there to refute.  I was just casting doubt on YOUR stat.  The 25% came from you and NOT me.  The "MIGHT...maybe" part again was meant to impart my doubt of your statistic being valid NOT to say I didn't think the number was that high specifically.  In rereading what I wrote after your first reply though I could see how it could be interpreted the other way and so I already clarified that in my last post.  Again, I don't care what the specific number is, I don't care if it's lower than 25 or higher than 25, heck I'll give you it's 30 or 40 if it makes you feel better.  It it no way contradicts my original claim of "Most people don't have 4k TVs anyway" that you replied to.  Heck even 49% is still not most...

Furthermore my doubt of your stat ended up being correct as you disproved your own claim with your "ALMOST a quarter... by the end of 2016" source.

Agree with you completely, but the PS3 eventually outsold the 360 WW. However, the sentiment is the same that blu-ray did not set the consoles apart like Sony gambled on (and lost a significant amount of £$€).

Sadly I think this UHD topic is going to turn out like Blast Processing all over again. It's the one spec on the sheet which PS4 Pro doesn't have, and fans are just going to regurgitate the claim over and over. It doesn't matter that the console has better specs in every other department :sleep:

5 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

Actually, the disc format DID help the PS3, early adopters were getting it as a nice (at the time cheap) Blu-ray player.  Gamers didn't want the $599 USD price tag which is why it didn't sell well at first but eventually caught up to the 360 well before PS4/X1 came out.  The 360 year headstart helped as well.

There's no reason to use UHD discs for games.  HOWEVER, there's no reason not to include the a capable player to use for movies, especially when you're a main proponent of the format itself.  The Pro is aimed mostly at 4K adopters, both in gaming and streaming.  And yet the available streaming apps that do 4K (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) are all base apps available native in every 4K TV out there.  What I can't get on my 4K TV is UHD.  Leaving that out of a "Pro" model that is again aimed at 4K adopters is an omission.  This entire console is a hardware cost.  It's one thing to leave it out of the Slim.

45 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Agree with you completely, but the PS3 eventually outsold the 360 WW. However, the sentiment is the same that blu-ray did not set the consoles apart like Sony gambled on (and lost a significant amount of £$€).

Sadly I think this UHD topic is going to turn out like Blast Processing all over again. It's the one spec on the sheet which PS4 Pro doesn't have, and fans are just going to regurgitate the claim over and over. It doesn't matter that the console has better specs in every other department :sleep:

Well Sony did have the GOD RAYS! Or was that Killzone 2? Something had "God Rays" lol.

The Xbox PR machine has already started with the true 4K claims

Scorpios power advantage over PS4 to be OBVIOUS

Expect them to be very noisy over the next few months, although this quick flurry would make you think they had an event alongside Sony...

• Like 1

Pretty poor it only has a 1TB drive (my 2TB drive in my current PS4 only has about 50gb of space left). And not playing 4k Blu-rays sucks. Decent price point otherwise though.

2 hours ago, soniqstylz said:

Actually, the disc format DID help the PS3, early adopters were getting it as a nice (at the time cheap) Blu-ray player.  Gamers didn't want the $599 USD price tag which is why it didn't sell well at first but eventually caught up to the 360 well before PS4/X1 came out.  The 360 year headstart helped as well.

It didn't help sell PS3s, the launch sales were awful.  Sony had to strip down the console, dropping ports, dropping flash support, dropping hardware backwards compatibility to get the price down so people would buy it because they didn't think it was worth the price for the new disc format.  It was the blue lasers for the Blu-ray drive that made it cost so much and consumers didn't think it was worth it.  The Xbox 360 had an "outdated" DVD drive and it sold just fine.  The market taught Sony it didn't care that much about movie disc formats... lesson learned.  Yeah it was a great cheap Blu-ray player for those who did care (of which I was one) but there weren't enough of us to make the console a sales success.  Sony eventually caught up to (and passed) the Xbox 360 in sales globally but it wasn't the new disc type that did that and it never even got remotely close in the U.S.

2 hours ago, soniqstylz said:

There's no reason to use UHD discs for games.

Yes, there is.  It has increased capacity up to 100GB which is twice what a standard Blu-ray can hold.  Games are already running into the 50GB cap.  Just as one example you can buy GotY editions of games that are supposed to include all DLC but they don't put it on disc because there isn't room.  Instead they put the base game only on the disc and you have to enter codes and download the DLC.  With UHD discs the whole thing would fit there.  Plus, if it was an option I have no doubt more developers would take advantage of the extra space.  Not every game would need it of course but it would absolutely get used.

8 hours ago, Asmodai said:

The 25% stat was soniqstylz not mine and as such I have no intention of arguing how true it is one way or another, my "MIGHT...maybe" comment was intended to express my doubt that he had a valid source for that number not that I didn't think it reached that number specifically.  My actual point was that most TVs people actively use aren't 4k right now and I stand by that no matter what the specific percentage of NEW sales may be.  Most people don't buy new TVs yearly.

My argument was 4K TV sales account for nearly all brand new TV sales today. No ones buying a new TV that isn't 4K, I believed you had typed only 25% of new TV's being sold where 4K I must of misunderstood. 

8 hours ago, Asmodai said:

That article then supports my argument.  Thank you for saving me the time of looking up a source.  Again, my argument is that most people don't currently have 4k TVs.  According to your source not only is that true but it is expected to continue to be true for the next four years... which happens to be two years beyond my anticipated release year of the 4k disc supporting PS5.

And no one had DVD players when the PS2 was launched and even at $1,100 it was the cheapest on the market in Australia and drove for progression and pushed the format forward and sold a hell of a lot of PS2's because of that. It was one of the main reasons for me purchasing one over the Dreamcast. (I'm not advocating in anyway UHD will ever be in the same league as DVD) But progression is nice to be pushed. 

The PS4 Pro is being marketed as a premium device, but fails to include a serious premium feature we all assumed would be included. This discussion will continue to go in circles but and just reminds me of the xbox one launch of those on both sides going round and round and don't want us to fall back to having threads like that again.

12 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

My argument was 4K TV sales account for nearly all brand new TV sales today. No ones buying a new TV that isn't 4K, I believed you had typed only 25% of new TV's being sold where 4K I must of misunderstood. 

I understand what your argument is, it has nothing to do with what I said that you replied to and I am not attempting to dispute it.   After your reply I went back and reread what I wrote and I can see how it could be interpreted as you did but that was NOT my intent.  As such a made a point to clarify what I meant by the statement so that this point we are in complete agreement here I believe.

And no one had DVD players when the PS2 was launched and even at $1,100 it was the cheapest on the market in Australia and drove for progression and pushed the format forward and sold a hell of a lot of PS2's because of that. It was one of the main reasons for me purchasing one over the Dreamcast. (I'm not advocating in anyway UHD will ever be in the same league as DVD) But progression is nice to be pushed. 

When the PS2 was released it was a different world.  Console makers in general and Sony in particular where interested in pushing the tech envelope with their consoles.  They spent a good deal of money on R&D to make mostly custom architectures and sold the consoles at a loss at launch with the intent of making a profit over time via peripheral sales, software licensing, and hardware cost reductions over time.  Those days are over, consumers killed them by showing console makers they were willing to buy low spec hardware (at the time of launch) like the Wii in droves and they weren't willing to spend money for expensive custom hardware like Cell or Blu-Ray drives.  Now consoles are only slightly modified PC components that are sold at a profit from day one.  Sony isn't interested anymore in pushing the tech envelope via consoles and having a UHD drive on the Pro isn't going to make or break them in terms of sales this generation.

The PS4 Pro is being marketed as a premium device, but fails to include a serious premium feature we all assumed would be included. This discussion will continue to go in circles but and just reminds me of the xbox one launch of those on both sides going round and round and don't want us to fall back to having threads like that again.

That's what we get for assuming.  It's being marketed as a premium device because it has double the GPU power, not because it's good at playing movies.  Sony made a big deal from the launch of PS4 at how games are first (in contrast to MS) and media capabilities come second so it's not all that surprising.  Am I a bit disappointed, sure, but I'm not shocked or outraged.  Personally I had no intention of buying a Pro no matter if it had a UHD drive or not.  My current PS4 has twice the storage and will play all the games the Pro does.  I'll get a 4k console when it can actually play 4k native games and not have to upscale to 4k (Project Scorpio?  PS5?)  With any luck the PS5 will be backwards compatible in 2018 and play PS4 games in "Neo mode" where it's supported.  Either way I'm not spending $400 on a sub-4k resolution bump. (or $275 with a $125 trade-in which is what I believe GameStop is offering around here)

• Like 1

came across this interesting article.  Not all games on PS4 Pro will receive a spit shine, is this true?

Gamespot is reporting that following the unveiling of the PS4 Pro last week they managed to get in some questions with the developers about whether or not the games would run at higher frame-rates on the PS4 Pro. One such game is Mass Effect: Andromeda, which was one of the showcase games for Sony's new 4K-enabled game console. However, according to BioWare producer Fabrice Condominas, the upcoming sci-fi space opera will not run any different on the PS4 Pro compared to the PS4.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/1555009/not-every-game-will-perform-better-on-ps4-pro

10 hours ago, Showan said:

came across this interesting article.  Not all games on PS4 Pro will receive a spit shine, is this true?

Gamespot is reporting that following the unveiling of the PS4 Pro last week they managed to get in some questions with the developers about whether or not the games would run at higher frame-rates on the PS4 Pro. One such game is Mass Effect: Andromeda, which was one of the showcase games for Sony's new 4K-enabled game console. However, according to BioWare producer Fabrice Condominas, the upcoming sci-fi space opera will not run any different on the PS4 Pro compared to the PS4.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/1555009/not-every-game-will-perform-better-on-ps4-pro

The way they word this is confusing but let me break it down as I understand it.

When they say it won't "perform" and different they are talking ONLY about FPS.  This is going to be true for most games.  The idea Sony is pushing for the PRO is for developers to increase the resolution while keeping the FPS as close to identical with the non-Pro console as possible. (there may be other little extra's in the Pro version as well like better Anti-Aliasing, more particles, etc.)

This is especially important for multiplayer games where having the Pro 60fps while the non-Pro is 30fps would be a HUGE advantage for the Pro players.  I personally think the resolution bump is still a significant advantage but Sony seems to disagree.  So the vast majority of games will likely have nearly identical (Sony claims it will be identical... I call B.S. on that as you can't hit the exact same FPS with spikes and dips and such on two different pieces of hardware at two different resolutions) "performance" it's just the PRO will be higher resolution with possible extra/improved effects.

The only games you may see significant "performance" (i.e. FPS) improvements on the Pro are single player ones but again Sony is really pushing devs to use the extra GPU power to up the resolution not the frame rate.

14 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

The way they word this is confusing but let me break it down as I understand it.

When they say it won't "perform" and different they are talking ONLY about FPS.  This is going to be true for most games.  The idea Sony is pushing for the PRO is for developers to increase the resolution while keeping the FPS as close to identical with the non-Pro console as possible. (there may be other little extra's in the Pro version as well like better Anti-Aliasing, more particles, etc.)

This is especially important for multiplayer games where having the Pro 60fps while the non-Pro is 30fps would be a HUGE advantage for the Pro players.  I personally think the resolution bump is still a significant advantage but Sony seems to disagree.  So the vast majority of games will likely have nearly identical (Sony claims it will be identical... I call B.S. on that as you can't hit the exact same FPS with spikes and dips and such on two different pieces of hardware at two different resolutions) "performance" it's just the PRO will be higher resolution with possible extra/improved effects.

The only games you may see significant "performance" (i.e. FPS) improvements on the Pro are single player ones but again Sony is really pushing devs to use the extra GPU power to up the resolution not the frame rate.

Thanks for clarification.  

I just don't understand why a framerate bump wouldn't be given to single player games...

14 minutes ago, Showan said:

Thanks for clarification.  

I just don't understand why a framerate bump wouldn't be given to single player games...

Asmodai and I spoke about this last week, and IIRC developers are being told to max out the hardware any way they see fit when it comes to SP content. The level playing field stuff is more important when talking about MP performance. Although the real world results remain to be seen, and I am as skeptical as he is that devs can do it, as we have seen the X1 vs X1S cannot even stay at 1:1 performance.

Single-player games can still have a higher frame rate on the Pro than on the PS4, Gyrling said, but he added that it's likely developers working on AAA games will use that power to increase visuals, not frame rates.

"Developers are free in single-player modes to make their games run at a higher frame rate if they can," he said. "For triple-A titles in particular, we tend to use everything in the machine.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/8/12846740/playstation-pro-won-t-buy-you-much-of-an-online-advantage