surface pro 4 performance ?

Hi,

First time in neowin  I`ve got something to ask for. So I´m planning to buy surface pro 4 with 8gt ram. My only worry is that is performance good enough..

I mean that it has dual core processor. Many dual cores that i think and I`ve used have lagged somehow when doing heavy multitasking or even some webpages make laggging..

If i remember right it has hyperthreating. That helps for not lagging and modern gpu with DirectX 12 support.

I`m not planning to play games on it. I`d expect it to not lag when having many tabs open in browser and word, Excel ect. running sametime.

Web pages should not lag.. Neowin lags on my dual core laptop made on  2008. (ssd included and ram maxed, clean Windows) I`d rather have that surface with quad core.

I got no possibility to test. Not planning to buy new laptop because weight and i want light machine with toucscreen that can be used as pc also.

So I would like have feedback how that surface has worked with you guys.  pros and also cons are welcome..

HI have the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - 256GB / Intel Core i5 and not had any problems so far using it, Not noticed any lag using it for browsing or some office work.

Its a great bit of kit. 

Is there anywhere you can go to test one? so you can see how it works for yourself?

In the uk they have in our PC world and other store so you can try them out.

Microsoft's Surface series is a huge win and has a really changeable impact to Win OS Users, since it is closely related to DELL and lenovo…

Except hardware, many software like macgo windows blu-ray player could support this laptop easily.

If you're worried about "lag" then get as much RAM as you can afford

When people generally talk about "lag" doing normal things it is usually because you are maxing out your RAM usage 

Case in point, work computers have 8gb RAM, with the tools we use daily and all the web pages we need to keep open it's not rare to be using 6+ gb of that RAM, I've maxed out the RAM on my work system constantly and have to close as much as I can, and that's using IE and FF, with IE running the most tabs out of necessity 

I got limited to time to test it on local Computer shop.. I have to tell that separate mouse is necessary.. It was i5 4gt in that shop ..  Yesterday I ordered i5 with 8gt ram.. I think that it`ll be  good with that. . I`m qoing 2 to 3 times a week in business trainings so after surface i`m able to do everything that i write and draw surface instead on paper :) 

Also going to training in Florida next week and next month I`ve training in Ireland.. Then surface is handy  :D

Thanks for all replies  :)

The SP4 should easily handle the tasks that you've described. My Surface Book has 8 GB of RAM and I've found this to be sufficient for all my normal activity. If you're using tens or hundreds of tabs, consider the 16 GB version.

Another option if you require more power is the Vaio Z Canvas, which features similar capabilities and form factor.

http://us.vaio.com/vaio-z-canvas/

On 9/14/2016 at 1:42 PM, venomz3 said:

I got limited to time to test it on local Computer shop.. I have to tell that separate mouse is necessary.. It was i5 4gt in that shop ..  Yesterday I ordered i5 with 8gt ram.. I think that it`ll be  good with that. . I`m qoing 2 to 3 times a week in business trainings so after surface i`m able to do everything that i write and draw surface instead on paper :) 

Also going to training in Florida next week and next month I`ve training in Ireland.. Then surface is handy  :D

Thanks for all replies  :)

Please report back if you have a chance on your i5 8g and lagging  - I'm curious to know if it works out or if you had to make any adjustments to how you use your PC to handle the lower RAM and CPU in a SP4.

On ‎18‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 1:32 PM, DevTech said:

Please report back if you have a chance on your i5 8g and lagging  - I'm curious to know if it works out or if you had to make any adjustments to how you use your PC to handle the lower RAM and CPU in a SP4.

I got my SP4 with i5 8gt ram  few days ago and I can tell that haven`t  noticed any lag.It`s super fast browsing and everyday tasks. btw only one program installed is vlc.  I`ll write update when I`m done some more  testing. So far locking good. I have logitech wireless mouse with it. separate mouse is necessary.

. That SP4 in shop was with 4gt ram.

i use a mid range i5 8Gb, 256Gb ssd model of the SP4 with keyboard cover and usb RJ45 adapter for on the move in a support role, I like it a lot, I wouldn't spend my own £ on one though overpriced for what they are, lovely display though :) its as good as a similar specced laptop. 

Its not my daily driver though, I also have a Precision M6800 16Gb/256Gb SSD/i7 QM/AMD Fire 2gb GPU as a desktop replacement. (not my choice)

• 7 months later...
On ‎18‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 1:32 PM, DevTech said:

Only lag I`ve noticed is from frozen bubble (windows store game) when it access internet to make new browser window for ad and I don't have internet connection at the moment. but that I guess that it`s fault of that game. Even in high multitasking there is no lag when multiple browser tabs are open and word, excel etc. as long there is enough ram. I haven`t played any demanding games on it. 

On ‎22‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 0:48 AM, Mindovermaster said:

GT? think you mean GB...

Yeah I know it happens sometimes

that I type wrong not a big deal.

4 hours ago, venomz3 said:

Yeah I know it happens sometimes

that I type wrong not a big deal.

Just making it right for other people that want to help here :)