69-year-old woman punched in face outside rally by Trump supporter

Police say they arrested five people at Trump's night rally Monday in Asheville, and as of publishing have warrants out for two more people.

Police plan to arrest Richard Campbell of Edisto Island, South Carolina for assault on a female.

That female is 69-year-old Shirley Teter.

She has protested her whole life, she said. Now she adds Donald Trump's campaign to the list of things she's protested against.

"Why did I get involved yesterday, at my age? Because I ran into another situation that was sickening my heart," she said Tuesday afternoon, outside Cafe 64 in downtown Asheville.

Protesters met Trump supporters before the rally, and Teter was having fun.

"Whenever groups of them would start chanting 'Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump!' I would chant back, 'Dump, dump, dump, dump.' It was kind of comical," Teter said.

After the rally, Teeter experienced something she had never seen in all of her protests. Peace teetered over into something else.

"I said you better learn to speak Russian, and I said the first two words are going to be, ha ha. He stopped in his tracks, and he turned around and just cold-cocked me," Teter said.

She was punched in the face.

She says she fell on her oxygen tank and has sore ribs, a sore jaw, and cut her elbow. She later went to the hospital and is thankful she did not break any bones.

Police said they didn't make an arrest because officers didn't witness the punch.

Teter thanked the police for giving her a ride home. She said they were wonderful.

Many people expressed concerns for Teter on social media, and to those folks she says, "Thank you."

After the interview, Teeter called News 13. She wanted to add one more thing, a question.

She asks if people find a Trump supporter punching her in the face deplorable.

http://wlos.com/news/local/69-year-old-woman-punched-in-face-outside-rally-by-trump-supporter

That is what ticks me off the most with these elections.  The violence and hate on BOTH sides.  Many instance of Hillary supporters attacking  Trump supports as well...vise versa...all that jazz.    Acts like this are sickening.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, techbeck said:

That is what ticks me off the most with these elections.  The violence and hate on BOTH sides.  Many instance of Hillary supporters attacking  Trump supports as well...vise versa...all that jazz.    Acts like this are sickening.

That's what the election boils down to.

Those who want to fix the USA and stop having their money wasted, and those who want to keep on riding the gravy train -- even if it crashes.

I'm going to play devils advocate here and say that there are nearly always two sides to any story.

I have seen many UK based protests from the right and left with both sides basically calling each other hooligans etc. There was one particularly nasty incident where a woman was apparently beaten up and pushed down some steps, who later tried to take 3 "far right" supporters to court for this. They held back on releasing the footage until the court date which actually showed the woman coming up in their faces and then pushing on of them, who simply did no more than stand solid, so she literally bounced off him and then down the stairs. The case was eventually dropped.

Granted, this wasn't headline material at the time and far worse incidents occur on both sides, but no one is a clean as they make out.

It also irritates me, these people, like this woman, who has "protested all her life". This takes away legitimacy of her reasoning to protest. I mean, if she had only just started protesting on this because she had a strong view, then fine, but it sounds like she is a "professional protester" who will always find something to go and cause a disturbance about. Its as though her and people like her enjoy the trouble!

There is never a reason for violence, however I'm sure there are more contributing factors than her simply saying a few mean words to get to the man. Her age and health are all the more reason she should have stayed at home and are now being used to make it seem all the more worse. If she was able enough to stand and make a fuss, then I'm sure she was probably just as able to get in this mans face to the point he got angry that she was blocking his way. Ive seen it happen all to many times from both sides of protests. Each group claiming they are more sophisticated than the other, yet at the end of it, they are both the same. Out for a fight and trying to make out they where the innocent party.

To be honest, I hate protesters for any cause. I don't believe it gets anyone anywhere. Things only change when you hit companies and governments pockets, not when you take to the streets.

7 hours ago, techbeck said:

Heh, only saw this after my rant above, but this exactly proves what I'm saying. Both sides of any protest are simply as bad as the other. Neither the person who is supposed to have carried out the aggressive act, or the person on the receiving end should be believed unless there is hard video evidence.

7 hours ago, Hum said:

Those who want to fix the USA and stop having their money wasted, and those who want to keep on riding the gravy train -- even if it crashes.

I argue there are those who can weigh up both sides and have a somewhat sympathetic view of the situation the American people find themselves in and what a farce this entire election has become.

And those who can't see beyond the over-simplification of the situation and spout their chosen leader's rhetoric.

ON BOTH SIDES

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TPreston said:

She asks if people find a Trump supporter punching her in the face deplorable.

Yes but I'm no fan of anyone riding the protest bus around their entire life

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

Yes but I'm no fan of anyone riding the protest bus around their entire life

Go looking for trouble on a frequent basis

Get trouble from easily antagonised idiots

Use trouble to play victim

Obviously, I'm making huge, unfounded assumptions.

8 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

Go looking for trouble on a frequent basis

Get trouble from easily antagonised idiots

Use trouble to play victim

Obviously, I'm making huge, unfounded, but very likely correct assumptions.

Fixed that for you ;)