Updated my Asus BIOS

I was surprised that my 2 year old model had Updates.

So I installed them all.

The BIOS update appears to have boosted the memory frequency from 1541 mhz to 1833 mhz.

I suppose my computer will run a little faster.

A nice surprise. :)

Thank you Asus.

You might try reading the heading of Hardware Hangout:

Drivers, overclocking and general hardware assistance can be found here.

I am letting folks know with similar motherboards that Updates are available. ;)

Which could possibly fix problems they may have.

1 hour ago, Hum said:

I am letting folks know with similar motherboards that Updates are available.

It might be helpful if you included your model, otherwise I agree with the other guy. Also, use caution when updating your BIOS, if something goes wrong you are generally SOL.

Sorry about that, missed the tag.

Yes, Hum. And I've done it several times. But I know how this can be very dangerous unless you are 100% sure how to do it. Any novice user should NOT do this. As @Circaflex said.

4 minutes ago, Hum said:

The model is under the Title.

Don't you love it when you try to post something positive, all the negative Nellies come out ....

What does that even mean? I simply suggested you include the actual model of your ASUS board so users might now to check for an update. ASUS is not your model, ASUS is the OEM of said board. No one is being a negative nelly, but you're being super defensive over nothing.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

What does that even mean? I simply suggested you include the actual model of your ASUS board so users might now to check for an update. ASUS is not your model, ASUS is the OEM of said board. No one is being a negative nelly, you're being super defensive over nothing.

Check the thread Tag. :p

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yes, Hum. And I've done it several times. But I know how this can be very dangerous unless you are 100% sure how to do it. Any novice user should NOT do this. As @Circaflex said.

This is only the 6th or 7th time I have ever updated a BIOS .... pfft

BIOS updates were more of a 'danger' in the 90's.

Many boards have a built-in update tool to change the BIOS safely from the Set-up.

My flash took about 2 minutes.  Never a scary moment.

4 minutes ago, Hum said:

Many boards have a built-in update tool to change the BIOS safely from the Set-up.

Hooked up to a UPS during?

12 minutes ago, Hum said:

I am not entirely sure what you mean by, "Many boards have a built-in update tool to change the BIOS safely from the Set-up," but even the built in tools can fail, to make a statement like that shows you don't have a true understanding of the subject. The biggest enemy when updating the BIOS is power-loss which no "built-in update" can prevent. Most OEMs still have large text warning uses about the potential problems/hazards of updating their BIOS. What has changed, is not the built in tools, but rather an additional BIOS chip that you can revert to if the other fails during a flash.

• Like 1

dual bios is a nice feature in some motherboards... and OP has tagged sabetooth 990 fx r2 (too small for my not so good eyesight)

90's? I was doing this around the 2005 era....

I'm giving people advice, not walking all over you. Me and @Circaflex are trying to warn people. It's not a walk in the park, even with the new technology...

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

90's? I was doing this around the 2005 era....

I'm giving people advice, not walking all over you. Me and @Circaflex are trying to warn people. It's not a walk in the park, even with the new technology...

Correct. Bios updates go like this ..

If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Unless you are having an issue, or need an update for reasons mentioned in the change log, leave well enough alone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Correct. Bios updates go like this ..

If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Unless you are having an issue, or need an update for reasons mentioned in the change log, leave well enough alone.

Exactly, WarWagon! :) Even if there is an update, unless you need something it improves/fixes, leave it... Just doing it because there is an update is bad practice. Even Hum should know this...

34 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Exactly, WarWagon! :) Even if there is an update, unless you need something it improves/fixes, leave it... Just doing it because there is an update is bad practice. Even Hum should know this...

What if a BIOS update doesn't list every fix? How would you know if it will fix an issue or not (other than updating)? Maybe I am an idiot because I always update then and never have an issue. But then I only use boards that has dual BIOS :)