Cheap lightweight laptop required

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a cheap lightweight laptop that I can do word, excel, surfing the net and photoshop 2015..5 cc.  I dont want anything bigger than 15inches, lightweight and my budget is £250.  Will i be able to get something at this price range?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The Photoshop requirement will drive up the price. An HP Stream 11 or equivalent will do just fine for Word, Excel, and web surfing, but will completely fail at Photoshop.

10 hours ago, The_D0lph1n said:

The Photoshop requirement will drive up the price. An HP Stream 11 or equivalent will do just fine for Word, Excel, and web surfing, but will completely fail at Photoshop.

Excel can kill it as well if the size of the dataset is large.

Much more usage information on Excel and Photoshop is needed - size of data, size of images, color accuracy, professional or learning etc

Excel

--------

- 64 bit can handle huge data - what is data requirement?

Photoshop

----------------

- eats up CPU, RAM and HD (for scratch files)

- hard to visualize a human being doing useful PShop editing on less than 15"

- suggest 16 gig RAM

- any sort of SSD is useful

- CPU depends on type of processing and human patience, usually way less critical than RAM for Photoshop

ok thanks for your pointers.  What is the cheapest am i looking for a laptop that will run photoshop?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, yas1320 said:

ok thanks for your pointers.  What is the cheapest am i looking for a laptop that will run photoshop?

Thanks

I think it really depends what you want to do in Photoshop, it's a bit of an open ended question really. To give you a starting point my work PC has an Core i3 2120 @3.30ghz with 8gb of ram, that has no problems with the latest version of Photoshop CC. I'm not however working on images with 100's of layers.

i'd be looking at getting at least a Core i3 processor for Photoshop usage based on my own experience.

The HP 250 G4 is £300, and has an Intel Core i3-5005U 2GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a 15.6" screen. If you replace the hard drive with an SSD it should be a pretty snappy laptop. As to how well it handles Photoshop really depends what you are doing. For light use it should be fine though.

30 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

I think it really depends what you want to do in Photoshop, it's a bit of an open ended question really. To give you a starting point my work PC has an Core i3 2120 @3.30ghz with 8gb of ram, that has no problems with the latest version of Photoshop CC. I'm not however working on images with 100's of layers.

i'd be looking at getting at least a Core i3 processor for Photoshop usage based on my own experience.

The HP 250 G4 is £300, and has an Intel Core i3-5005U 2GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a 15.6" screen. If you replace the hard drive with an SSD it should be a pretty snappy laptop. As to how well it handles Photoshop really depends what you are doing. For light use it should be fine though.

Thats great.  I will only be doing some edits on photos and a little graphic designing.  Not working with that many layers.  Also how heavy is the G4?

Edited by yas1320

3 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

Processor

Intel Core i3-5005U 2GHz

Dual Core

3MB Cache

Memory

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz

Configuration 1 x 8GB

2 x SODIMM

Hard Drive

1TB HDD 5400rpm SATA

Optical Drive

DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL

Display

39,6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD SVA anti-glare flat LED-backlit

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Graphics

Intel HD Graphics 520

------------------------------------

OMG - 2016 and you can still get stuck with the horrible 1366 x 768

Stick with MS Paint on that one...

To make this objective possible you need to pay attention to the advice in Alice in Wonderland where you are instructed to practice the art of believing in 10 impossible things before breakfast.

If you are successful at that, then Photoshop will run like a dream (literally) on a cheap laptop.

---------

Even with a lot of mind altering drugs, I don't think I could ever imagine using Photoshop at 1366 x 768 more than once - FHD resolution is 1920 x 1080 and has been around a long long time to make it a minimum standard for displays.

After a quick review, I think laptop manufacturers are making more profit on these low end units given the complete junk they are being equipped with. These low end units provide very poor value.

Try to find something on one of the following lists after eliminating any 1366 x 768 units.

Top 10 Notebooks under 500 Euros:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Notebooks-under-500-Euros.124349.0.html

Top 10 Budget Office/Business Notebooks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Budget-Office-Business-Notebooks.98853.0.html

Top 10 Multimedia Notebooks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Multimedia-Notebooks.98608.0.html

Top 10 Ultrabooks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Ultrabooks.91067.0.html