Looking to create VPN connection between 2 routers

I'm wondering how I would create a VPN bridge between my router and a friends to essentially make a WAN, we work on projects together and currently port fowarding works to an extent but it's very flakey. What hardware would we need to buy for a simple encrypted site to site VPN? I'm looking at a few online stores but not really sure what to buy in terms of routers. I'd buying 2, one each.

openvpn would be a great server that you could run for free, if you have an old pc laying in the corner you could install pfsense, openvpn is an option in pfsense that can be enabled. 

ubiquiti edge router supports vpn

could pickup used sonicwall firewalls, it supports a site to site vpn

could pickup used cisco asa's, they support site to site vpns

freelan is a free service for vpn. 

what exactly are you looking to do between these networks?  What are you port forwarding now?  While sure a vpn can connect your 2 networks together.  Seems like that is a bit much to what share some files your working on?

What routers do you have now?  Quite possible you can create your vpn with what you have.  If they both support dd-wrt then yeah for sure you could.  There is also just software you could run on each others pc, no reason to go out and buy specific routers, etc.

mikortik (routeros) runs on lots of different hardware, which one are you recommending he buy?  That is just how to do a sstp tunnel.  I would prob suggest ipsec if he was going that route, etc.