Singapore pair 'tried to buy iPhones at airport without flying'

Singapore pair 'tried to buy iPhones at airport without flying'

The launch of the latest iPhone last week saw the usual excited queues forming outside Apple shops.

But two Singaporeans allegedly thought they had found a new way of queue jumping, and saving some money, by buying plane tickets so they could pick up the iPhone 7 at Changi Airport.

They were arrested on 16 September for breaking airport laws.

Source and more

What I don't understand is that they bought the plane tickets...why not take the flight and fly back? Granted, that's going quite some length for an iPhone, but they had already started down that path.

• Like 2

Haven't read the article in full but what laws would have been broken?

Edit: just read the article in full..... Are you not allowed to buy anything from the airport if your not flying?

Edited by Danielx64

53 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Edit: just read the article in full..... Are you not allowed to buy anything from the airport if your not flying?

You shouldn't be able to access duty free shopping if you are not flying. What I didn't know was that you have to take the flight. Then again, I can't think of hearing about anyone that bought a plane ticket just to access duty free shopping. Well, until now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nick H. said:

You shouldn't be able to access duty free shopping if you are not flying. What I didn't know was that you have to take the flight. Then again, I can't think of hearing about anyone that bought a plane ticket just to access duty free shopping. Well, until now.

What I didn't know that it's against the law to do what that guy did (buy duty free staff) and not catch the flight.

Agreed with you Nick - if they were that desperate for a phone then book a same day return. I mean surely that would make the day even better - a day in another city/country and a new phone.

11 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Agreed with you Nick - if they were that desperate for a phone then book a same day return. I mean surely that would make the day even better - a day in another city/country and a new phone.

I would have gone better by staying overnight in that country and fly back the next day. Then you get a feel of what it like to sleep there :)